MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Bullet choice in 44 cal for my alloy.

Boolit Buddy

Bullet choice in 44 cal for my alloy.

Hello all. I getting back into hunting deer with my 44 mag in a 14" contender and a 7 1/2"Ruger Redhawk. I want to move away from jacketed bullet and
    use boolits I've cast. My question for you more experienced with different alloy mixes is this. I will be shooting a NOE 430-265 boolits with an alloy mix of pb 95.2 - sb 4.7 - sn 0.1. would this alloy be ok for a deep hollow point or as a solid? The mold has the three different pins deep, cup,and flat. My velocities will be between 1.100-1,200 feet per second.

Thanks for any advice Mike

I don't think at that velocity you will have any expansion, but then you don't need it, hit a deer in the right spot with that slug and it will be effective. The solid would likely be a bit easier to cast.

Boolit Master
    In that alloy I would use the cup pin or solid. That high ratio of antimony to tin will, in my opinion, fracture the petals off the deep hp leaving you less mass for penetration. Might be fine, might not if you hit a major shoulder bone depending... With a solid, you will have a predictable result. I like an equal ratio of sb to sn to avoid brittleness when casting hp for hunting deer. So, change alloy or avoid deep hp is my opinion, for what it’s worth.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    that's very hard and not malleable for that speed. id probably not have any antimony and just use 20-1 lead tin

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the input. I have been casting pistol plinking boolits with clip on wheel weights for 35 years and never got into the science of mixing alloys. I have finally exhausted my supply of WW's then I stumbled into 2,000 lbs of this alloy now I need to come up with a good recipe for a hunting boolit.

Boolit Master
    There is an alloy calculator in the sticky threads. Cast some solids with a good flat like a WFN or. 429421 and go kill a deer. That allow you have is fine, I would just not use it with a deep hp. It probably won’t expand (429421) but the deer won’t be able to tell. Get you some tin and plain lead and mix up something around 97/1.5/1.5 and cast some hollow points if you want. They are interesting too.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    id agree with 97/1.5/1.5 for expansion for what you can make with what you have, that should be okay for any nose type. so that would be 1 part to 2 parts pure, then add 3 ounce tin per 10 lbs just lead free soldering wire if you don't have tin. for lead that can expand well you want tin atleast as high as antimony so it don't fracture easily. or just don't have antimony. the alloy as is with no tin id only use for solids that you don't plan on expanding

My 270gr LHP (cup point) are cast of 20-1 lead/tin. They do show good expansion running them about 1250fps. IF running a solid, I would expect only deformation but no real expansion unless they hit bone.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol