Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: most difficult gun to reassemble

Boolit Master

most difficult gun to reassemble

I've struggled and fought with guns that were tough to reassemble, but I read somewhere that a gunsmith claimed the toughest gun to reassemble is the Remington Nylon 66, due to one small part. I have one and of course I stripped it down, something that you're not ever supposed to do with that rifle. I cannot remember which part it is, but I do remember fighting with it.
    What's the toughest gun you've ever stripped and reassembled?

Boolit Grand Master

I'll agree with the Nylon 66. I nearly never got mine back together. It seems like I had to use a slave pin to hold a few parts in the correct position.

Boolit Master

Nylon 66 is tough - but I think Ruger standard and Browning A5 are just as tough .

Banned
    The original Remington model 51. It field strips easy enough but if you go farther and detail strip that pistol, be prepared to spend some time.

A LOT of times when dealing with a tricky gun, the right tool makes all the difference.
    Replacing the trigger and trigger return spring of a Beretta 92 is a bear of a job without the right tool. If you have a tiny hook to grab the leg of the trigger return spring, it takes about 3 seconds and your done.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I agree with the Nylon 66!!! Whew, it’ll try your patience for sure!!! I used to get them in a ziplock bagggie, “ my kid took my gun apart” type of things. Another one that took me awhile was S&W 916 pump action shotgun, looked simple, but, noooooo. Moss berg 500 in a pile of pieces, trigger group in a baggie, “ I took that trigger thang apart to clean it” . Really? Never heard of carburetor cleaner, there, Sparky? Glad I had the disassembly books handy on some of them.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Nylon 66!!!!!!
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

USMC 77, USRA 79

ruger 44 carbine!!!!! I say that cuz I have never owned a Nylon 66
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Trigger group of a Winchester Mod. 100 semi auto stands out in my memory.

Boolit Buddy

Never tried with a Nylon 66 but the Russian SVT-40 is tough because of the buffer(?) spring. I don't know what it is about mine but it took 4 people to put that spring back in. Needless to say, when I clean it, I never mess with that spring.

Boolit Master

MK 3 without a handy uTube video.

Boolit Master

I have no experience with any of the above mentioned rifles or shotguns, but the firearm that came to my mind immediately is my old Ruger 22 semiautomatic Standard Mk1. Mine is an old one that was so difficult to reassemble that you almost never take it apart. There is a trick to it and once you learn it you can do it, but I have to relearn the trick every time it seems.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

For me...the Ruger MK-II. It seems like it just magically fits together...but then you can't pull the bolt back....restart....restart....restart.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    Never tried with a Nylon 66 but the Russian SVT-40 is tough because of the buffer(?) spring. I don't know what it is about mine but it took 4 people to put that spring back in. Needless to say, when I clean it, I never mess with that spring.
    I've never owned a nylon 66 and never had anyone elses apart.
    I did have a SVT-40, I don't recall it being difficult, but I remember there were lots and lots of parts involved.

The one I've had trouble with is the Colt Woodsman, I had a series two apart once, and had to bring it to a gunsmith to get it back together, he showed me the 'trick', which I have long forgot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Never done a Nylon 66 but I have sworn an oath never to take a Ruger 22 auto pistol apart ever again.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

After spending 2 days getting one back together, I'm voting for the Nylon 66.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I've had very little trouble with the Ruger standard.
    Never tried a 66. Just lucky I guess. Detail stripping a Colt Woodsman can be a pita. I think any of them that you don't work with regularly will give you grief. Trigger mechs and belt feed systems are rough, and yes special jigs and tools are key.

Banned
    The Ruger Standard, MII and MKIII pistols are extremely easy to reassemble once you grasp how the parts interact. The problem is explaining that interaction of parts.
    It's like riding a bicycle, you can tell someone how to do it but until they do it themselves, those words mean nothing.

The good news about the Rugers is once the concept "clicks" with you, you never forget it.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 10-31-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I didn't even want to try a 66. One that really fooled me was a Remington 550 .22 auto. There is one part that I found out you were not supposed to take out, after I removed it. Probably spent 5-6 hours over a couple of days before I finally figured it out. I took it apart to clean the floating chamber, that's no big deal but thought while I'm at it why not the whole thing.

I don't own a 66 but by far the most aggravating pistol to field strip for me is the slide biting *** Remington R-51 (new addition). Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I don't feel so bad now that so many others have had trouble with the Nylon 66!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast