RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: most difficult gun to reassemble

Boolit Master
    This gun, a Savage and North .36, looks complicated but it was relatively easy to reassemble. Not the Nylon 66.

Boolit Grand Master

H&R revolvers. Elmer Keith christened them 'gunsmith's nightmares' and recommended returning them to the factory for repair. Unfortunately no longer possible. After my gunsmith tried (and succeeded) in working on my 999 he put up a sign saying no more work on H&R revolvers! He stated that in repairing mine he broke two other parts.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    MK3 22/45 was the roughest for me.

My Ortgies pistol gave me fits until I learned the secret tricks.

Hammer assembly on an H&R single shot rifle/shotgun if you don't know you need a slave pin.

BB

Boolit Master
    My Ortgies pistol is what got me thinking about this.

Boolit Buddy
    I've not had the pleasure of working on a Nylon 66, and I also found the Ortgies and H&R revolvers to be "interesting", but I think the Winchester 97, the shotgun with 97 moving parts, was my biggest challenge. Some semi-autos ( pistols, rifles and shotguns) are tough because of very strong springs are difficult to reassemble unless you come up with a way to hold all the parts in place while pushing with all your might, but not so much because of complexity.

Trapshooter

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger #1
    Trigger group needs three hands to get everything lined up.
    Never had a Nylon 66
    Always wanted one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Hammer assembly on an H&R single shot rifle/shotgun if you don't know you need a slave pin.

BB
    If it wasn't for youtube, this gun would be quite the challenge. Once you learn which parts need to go back in first and held with the pin, it's not so bad.

Honestly one of my least favorite guns to work on that I currently own is my GP100, which is also my favorite revolver. Specifically, I hate trying to fight the cylinder off the crane. The best I've found is to soak it in Hoppes for a while to soften it up, then slip a long T handle allen between the crane and cylinder. This gives you something to pull on. Then you pull, twist, PULL, twist and pop it comes out right when you least expect it. I don't understand why Ruger couldn't have made the GP100 like the SP101, which is far easier to remove the cylinder.

I've not disassembled a nylon 66 further than the receiver cover.

I'd say the hardest I've ever done was an NAA mini revolver.

I've disassembled several Ruger 22autos. I owned a 22/45 for several years. As a result, I can disassemble it and reassemble it blindfolded.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard the BAR/FNAR are really difficult to take apart and the manual says you should only ever perform a basic field strip.

I've never had one to play with, I have had an Auto-5 apart and while it was easily the most complex rifle/shotgun i've serviced (I've heard JMB never used a single part when he could use two ), I also didn't find it all that bad.
    However I live in the modern era and I had a couple videos and guides to help me along, without those it probably would have taken me much longer.

remington 552 speedmaster 22 auto for me, If you had 7 fingers on each hand it would cut a days worth of time off reassembly.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

I have both a Nylon 66 and a Ruger MarkII. One time I started to slide the receiver cover off the 66. Saw all those parts and slid the cover right back on. The Ruger got me and after a good cleaning I fought that monster for a 1/2 hour. I then inlisted the talents of my wife and it only took another hour and it was a good as new! Never again on either one.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Nylon 66 is tough - but I think Ruger standard and Browning A5 are just as tough .
    This ^^^^- and the Remington m8/81 IME. The last 66 stock that a neighbor broke; Remington just sent a "black diamond" stock- that's all they had left. That was the second one I'd done and I cussed just as much as the first one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've never owned a nylon 66 and never had anyone elses apart.
    I did have a SVT-40, I don't recall it being difficult, but I remember there were lots and lots of parts involved.

The one I've had trouble with is the Colt Woodsman, I had a series two apart once, and had to bring it to a gunsmith to get it back together, he showed me the 'trick', which I have long forgot.
    I agree with the Colt Woodsman. A fellow worker brought one to me one day in a bag and asked if I could reassemble it. I did it with difficulty. When I gave it to him the next day I warned , don't ever press that button on the top of the slide again.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Nylon 66 , Japanese version of 1885 Winchester and Stevens 311 double.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    mk 3 without a handy utube video.
    yes!!!!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    This gun, a Savage and North .36, looks complicated but it was relatively easy to reassemble. Not the Nylon 66.

Drooling...….
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Unless my Ruger Mk III starts oozing crud, I'll never break it down again! Thankfully, I don't shoot it much.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post

BB
    Have one in a box in the basement right now. Got most of it could not get the spring down the side of the hammer . Sometimes it is better to just walk away for awhile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast