Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Remmy navy

Remmy navy

Anybody play with a Uberti Remington navy model in 36 cal? Any peculiarities to denote?

Thanks

Ted

Boolit Bub
    I have an old one (from the 1970's), never had any issues with it. Very reliable and accurate, still have the original nipples in it. Mine prefers Rem #10 caps (#11 are too loose) and has worked fine with both commercial .375 and my home cast .380 round balls.

Boolit Master

My Lyman Uberti is still in it's box with everything that came with it. Thinking of shooting it and will use the.380 balls from Ballistic products buck shot

Got time tonite and measured the barrel muzzle ... .376 inch across the grooves. .373 inch cylinder chambers.

Tons of meat in the cylinder to ream if it seems to be reluctant to group. If I see the need, I will have it (the cylinder chambers) reamed to .378/.379 inch. This will enable the use of .380 lead balls for a nice tight fit in both the cylinder and barrel.

Nice revolver overall and anxious to smoke it up and see how it acts.

Boolit Master

My cylinders most measure .377, could be my calipers and finger control. Dang now I have to try it out before the snow arrives.

Note I load my cylinders off the gun and have several that are .36 cal. I have been thinking of shooting it anyway as NIB means nothing to me on a replica.

Thanks for the push to do so. 380 has worked well for me.
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 11-05-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spell check problem

Nice, looking forward to your range report. I would like it if my cylinder measured .377. Have you determined the groove diameter?

Boolit Master

No I have not, I measured the cylinder when a 375 ball would go in by thumb. Had to pull the nipple to push it out.

I bet she shoots very well with that large a chambers.

Boolit Master
    All the bp revolvers I have seen almost always have smaller cylinders than the the barrel. The only ones that are correct or close are the high dollar target models. They cost at least 800$ and up. Don’t know why but the original colt and Remington where made this way also. My 1851 navy is like that and it shoots great.had it for 35 years and have out shot centerfire pistoles quite a few times. Go to dixy gun works I think they still all have the specs on there pistoles. They have cylinder bore size bore and grove size. I know they do in there catalogue.

So what is the reasoning behind having a smaller cylinder chamber then the bore/groove of the barrel?

Does anybody know this reasoning? I have never heard the reasoning behind what all Italian revolvers do in the face of what we consider needed for accuracy in modern revolvers.

I have honestly wondered the why of this condition.

Boolit Buddy
    Mainly to thwart lawsuits but it also gives "chamber reamers" something to do !! (Doesn't make sense to me either!!)

Mike

Maybe so we'll buy more looking for the one that is accurate?

Pietta shooters should organize a group buy with a gunsmith to set up and ream chambers on all of them at once.
    Followed with a group buy for the mold to fit.