Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Pretty good definition of “Marketing”, many people have to have the newest, fastest,most modern technological thingy that comes out. Oh, if it has a Cool name, invoking POWER or Precision or Modern it is a done deal. Matters not that it only approximates an existing cartridge, or more than one, as long as it fits in an AR mag.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Mine is a 10" twist, and shoots great with 100 grain bullets. While some disagree, I agree with your theory. For whatever strange reason, it seem what makes or breaks a cartridge in this country is it's ability to shoot white tailed deer. I find it odd that 30-30 stuck around rather than 30-40 Krag, especially when the similar sized 308 Winchester went on to be one of the most popular rifle cartridge of all time. 30-40 Krag was a big step up from 30-30 Winchester.
    The 30-30 stuck because of the guns that chambered it. The winchester 94 primarily and marlin 93 are much handier to carry than a krag rifle. Okay so what about the winchester 95 you might ask? Well aside from it being not as compact as a winchester carbine, it also isn't as aesthetically pleasing, atleast to me. Not to mention 30-30 lever actions hold 8 rounds vs 5.

I would love a winchester 95 or a sporterized krag in 30-40, for the record.

Boolit Grand Master

By the time Remington changed to the 9 twist ( several years after introducing it) The reputation was set in minds. My 243 match rifle will run 115 grn vlds ( roughly 1 3/8" long ) out to 1000 yds. But it is a 7 twist rate.

The 30-30 and its rifles caught on so big and quickly due to the times and needs. When introduced in most of the areas a rifle wasn't just for hunting but defense. You had it with you everywhere you went. A strictly hunting rifle is a different thing than one carried 24 7. The lever guns were short light handy and off ample power. They were easily carried by horse back and buggy. They fit into what was needed. The big single shots and 8+ lb bolt actions were heavier longer than them and took more effort to carry.