Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New cartridges.

Boolit Master

Hahaha. Im like that with powders!!

I read up on all the latest calibers. Rarely will partake. But I do have a 350L. Mostly cause Im a 35 cal nut.

I also jumped on the 25/45 Sharps when it came out. (Herd of that one??). Basically its a 25/223 designed to duplicate 250 Savage numbers with a 87g bullet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I have no problem with the plethora of new cartridges. They do one thing very well - entice people to buy new guns to shoot them in and that keeps gunmakers in business. I do have my own thoughts about them and why people buy them.
    The .350 Legend is a straight-walled round which works for deer hunters in my part of the country but what sells it is that in works in ARs. Quite a few of us have been chambering single shots for .357 Max for years. I have yet to see a .350 load from Winchester that beats what many get from the Max despite the Legend's much longer case.
    The biggest joke, which no one mentioned yet is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I say joke, not because it is not a good cartridge but because of what most guys THINK it is. Listen to talk about this 6.5 and you may be convinced it's a Supermag ray gun. But look at ballistics. The 6.5 Creedmoor was intended to keep the high BC 6.5 bullets supersonic enough to allow good scores on paper targets from 200 yds to 1200 yes while kicking the shooter less than a .308. Oh, and fit a short action. It is loaded to higher psi than a .260 Rem to match that rounds performance. It does not stomp the ancient 6.5 x55 despite being loaded at least 16kpsi hotter but will eat throats out of barrels a heck of a lot quicker.
    If guy read ballistic charts before they open their wallets a lot of new cartridges would never leave the factory. A little reading would reveal the .270, 7mm and .300 WSSMs to be nothing more than .270 Win, .280 Rem and .30-06 in different wrappers. I dare you to prove to me that you can shoot better in the field because they fit short actions. But people buy the hype before they buy the rifle. But it's all good because it's about being free to have fun in the flavor we choose. (BTW, the WSSM case when necked to .358 makes a potent round that fits Indiana's deer regs.)

It DOES get under my skin when a maker hypes a new round like .223 WSSM only to see throats vanish before the new owners eyes then stop making ammo leaving the guy stuck with the useless thing. But hey shooters, remember sayings like "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is" or "there is no such thing as free lunch"?

Interesting responses. I got a buddy that was all interested in the 6.5 creedmoor. He asked me about it and then seemed to regret asking when I told him what I thought of it vs something like 30-30 or 30-06. Fact is we're in brush country, 200 yard shots are the longest a person ever sees and more commonly 50-100. My opinion was that for a hunting rig it wasn't nearly as practical. My buddy just wants a hunting rifle. He ain't a great shot and won't see the increased accuracy potential. He doesn't reload. I suggested 30-06 because of it's wide range of factory ammunition and lower cost.

Banned
    There are occasionally new cartridges that accomplish something new but most of what could be done.......has been done.

Boolit Master
    I’m sure some of y’all are old enough to remember the 5 mm Remington rimfire. The gun rags went nuts when it was introduced about ‘70 and I was 17 at that time. I had a 788 and 582 Remington and decided I would watch the 5 mm and see what happened. It taught me a lesson I have never forgotten...
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Banned
    The newest cartridge gun I own is a 9mm luger. I like a new caliber get tested a bit first before I buy one.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Bazoo;4754527]Interesting responses. I got a buddy that was all interested in the 6.5 creedmoor. He asked me about it and then seemed to regret asking when I told him what I thought of it vs something like 30-30 or 30-06. Fact is we're in brush country, 200 yard shots are the longest a person ever sees and more commonly 50-100. My opinion was that for a hunting rig it wasn't nearly as practical. My buddy just wants a hunting rifle. He ain't a great shot and won't see the increased accuracy potential. He doesn't reload. I suggested 30-06 because of it's wide range of factory ammunition and lower cost.[/QU

What sets me apart from the crowd (except here) is that I think the 6.5 Creedmoor would be perfectly suited to the hunting you describe. All it wants is a hunting bullet. Ammunition for the thing seems to be most everywhere except maybe Walmart. I'm a believer in the 6.5mm caliber (non magnums please).
    Just had a thought that maybe I should get a Creedmoor and treat it like what I really want, a 6.5x54 MS!

I didn't have any cartridges between 223 and 30 cal. I didn't think it was a big deal till my youngsters went to firearms safety and wanted to deer hunt. Most of my shooting is done with 8mm 35 and 45 cal rifles. It didn't take long to figure out that the recoil was going to be an issue.
    I previously owned 243, 308 win. and 6.5-284 and know the advantage of the longer 6.5mm bullets. So to fill the gap the 6.5 Creedmoor made the most sense to me and I bought a Savage Axis in 6.5 Cm.

The rifle is lights out accurate, shoots good with a hot barrel, ammo is a buck a round, dies were 35 bucks. All I needed were hunting bullets because I already had slower powders that i wasn't using.

Who knows if the 6.5 Cm will last but a deer won't be able to tell the difference if its a 260, 6.5x55, 7mm 08. It's more gun than a 243 imo.

So I have 3 new shooters and they passed 32 Win Spcl and 300 Sav and decided to go with 300 Blackout-110 Barnes TAC TX; 6.5CM-129 Horn SP and a 38-40 WCF NOE 200 WFN loaded warm with 2400 in a G2 Contender carbine.
    I'm going with 358 win and 12 ga with .678 round ball.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-02-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Newest rifle cartridge I own is 375 Winchester and I treat it like a 38-55. I don’t pick a cartridge and look for a rifle so chambered. I see a rifle I want and deal with what it is chambered for. Personally I don’t see any real difference in anything from the 243 until you get to a 30-06, for actual hunting use. It seems the #1 criteria for a cartridge nowadays is how it fits in a AR, oh and it has to have a catchy name. Yep, the 6.5creedmore is almost a 260 AND it fits in an AR. The 300BO is redo of 32-20 (with too fast a twist for my likes) but hey it fits in an AR! No matter to me, as I like old guns for my hunting. Glad they keep introducing new loads, but there ain’t much that hasn’t already been done. Besides, if we all liked the same thing it would be a pretty boring hobby, and not as many old rifles hitting the pawn shops to buy the newest flavor of the day.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Hahaha. Im like that with powders!!

I read up on all the latest calibers. Rarely will partake. But I do have a 350L. Mostly cause Im a 35 cal nut.

I also jumped on the 25/45 Sharps when it came out. (Herd of that one??). Basically its a 25/223 designed to duplicate 250 Savage numbers with a 87g bullet.

CW
    How do you like that 25/45 Sharps? I almost pulled the trigger on that one because I have a bunch of 25 caliber bullets for my 25-06.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Before I bought my first semi-auto handgun, I really thought that the .40 caliber was the way to go. Then I noticed that no matter which store I walked into that sold ammo, the 9mm stuff was in abundance, so I bought a tried and true 9mm. I've never regretted that decision.
    I bought a 40, then got spare barrels in 357 Sig and 9mm... Best of all worlds lol.

In my opinion the neatest thing about the 300 Blackout and the 6.8 SPC and similar cartridges is that they proved that you don't need a 30 ought six or a seven mm Magnum to kill deer at a hundred yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    How do you like that 25/45 Sharps? I almost pulled the trigger on that one because I have a bunch of 25 caliber bullets for my 25-06.
    I like it... But feel it’s pushed too hard to achieve the ballistics they advertise.

I shoot the Hornadt 110 FTX that came out for the 25-35 and LOVE IT!! AR Comp and AA2200 are awesome producing sub MOA accuracy and 2600+ velocities. But I’m a heavy bullet guy. Velocity doesn’t impress me with out accuracy.

6.5 creed is a EXCELLENT EXAMPLE. I was at a Steel shoot talking guns and explained to a group who WAS enameled by the Creed, that the Swede has been carrying that mantle for a hundred years!! Some where shocked, while others futile tried to argue and carry there parroted responses.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 11-01-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post

What sets me apart from the crowd (except here) is that I think the 6.5 Creedmoor would be perfectly suited to the hunting you describe. All it wants is a hunting bullet. Ammunition for the thing seems to be most everywhere except maybe Walmart. I'm a believer in the 6.5mm caliber (non magnums please).
    Just had a thought that maybe I should get a Creedmoor and treat it like what I really want, a 6.5x54 MS!
    That's a really good point.
    I didn't talk him out of it, but I think he was surprised I wasn't all enthusiastic about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 224 Valkyrie
    I got them because they were designed with the AR or MSR
    in mind
    besides most get their feathers in a ruffle when you mention them
    not the same as ol bessy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In bought a .376 steyr- a short and weak .375 h&r mag- several years ago because steyr got caught selling to Iranians and had to leave the u.s. I. got the rifle for $400. Told myself and everyone we all need one stupid gun. Turned out the most fun gun I own. Brass is high dollar but still made. Bought a 300 whisper type ar upper several years ago. Also turned out fun. I've been lucky in my idiocy.
    Last edited by nelsonted1; 11-01-2019 at 04:24 PM.

One thing a creedmore will do is get a recoil sensitive person through a high power season. A gripe way back was 243 was hard on throats.

Boolit Master
    If I still shot competitively I just might have a 6.5 creedmore, but I doubt it is any more friendly to the throats at 65,000psi than the 243 was. Nothing wrong with the new rounds, but nothing earth shattering either.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I read about them in the gun magazines , have subscriptions to 3 or 4 , but in no rush to go out and buy any of them...or any AR type rifles .
    Got my 1903A3 Springfield sporter in 30-06 and Winchester 94 in 30-30 , my "tactical rifle" is a 303 British Enfield No 4 MKI ( 1942) , with a few 15 round magazines ....I'm good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    In my opinion the neatest thing about the 300 Blackout and the 6.8 SPC and similar cartridges is that they proved that you don't need a 30 ought six or a seven mm Magnum to kill deer at a hundred yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Some of us knew that already but you're right !

There are few places in my neck of the woods that offer shots over 300 yards (and the vast majority of deer are taken at far shorter ranges) and no places that require a 7mm Remington Mag, and yet people continue to buy them. Of the people that buy the 7mm Mag., you would be hard pressed to find 1 in10 that could even utilize the range offered by that cartridge.

If you can't cleanly kill a deer at less than 300 yards with a 7mm Mauser, 7mm-08 or 308 Win., you need to go back to the range.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast