Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Rebarrel Marlin 1895?

Boolit Master

Rebarrel Marlin 1895?

Are there recommendations for someone who can rebarrel my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 for a reasonable sum? Mine has an oversize (.4595") micro-groove bore and I would need .462" cast bullets. Since it's not a rifle through which I would fire large numbers, I would prefer to not add those to the list of bullets I already cast.

I guess I could ship it to Marlin/Remington for evaluation, but I'm pretty certain they would say that it was within tolerance.

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    What diameter are the boolits you cast right now? If .459" or so, you could powder coat them and bring them to around .461" and should work fine.

Save you the cost of a re-barrel.

I have a NEI mold that casts .430" and need .432, so powder coated them and they are .432". Now to just load and test them.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Assuming your molds currently drop at 457 then depending on what shooting at what distance performance may be adequate. Think hogs in brush vs deer at 400.
    "Beegling" will easily take molds to say 460 and as mentioned above PC will add a further thou or 2.

Boolit Master
    Thank you. I actually have not started casting for this. Considering how little I would actually shoot it, I was hoping to be able to buy cast bullets that worked. I found some .460 that worked better than .458, so would hope that .462 would do the trick. In the long-run, however, it would make life easier if I had it rebarrelled to a non-microgroove barrel in the .457 it is supposed to be.

Cheers, Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

If you can buy the .460 bullets without lube pc them to make them a little bigger. A whole lot cheaper than a rebarrel or the hassle of casting for something you don’t shoot very often.

Or, buy some ready-made cast boolits? Much cheaper than a barrel job.

Boolit Master

Barrel job, $500 +

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Barrel job, $500 +
    Ouch. Thank you.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    If you can buy the .460 bullets without lube pc them to make them a little bigger. A whole lot cheaper than a rebarrel or the hassle of casting for something you don’t shoot very often.
    Now that is something I hadn't considered. Now to try to remember where I found the .460 bullets and find a person willing and able to do the coating.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Or, buy some ready-made cast boolits? Much cheaper than a barrel job.
    So far, the largest commercial I have found are the .460.

One gentleman here sent me some unsized, unlubed cast boolits and some soft lube. The boolits are in the .461-462 range and I need to load some rounds and get to the range. Of course, it's a might chilly around here, now.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    If you sent it to Remington for a re-barrel, I don't think there is any guarante that the new barrel would not have just as large a groove dia. as your present barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    If you sent it to Remington for a re-barrel, I don't think there is any guarante that the new barrel would not have just as large a groove dia. as your present barrel.
    Agreed, which is the main reason I have not sent it to be inspected. Remington/Marlin quality control seems to be trifle iffy right now. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if .4595 is considered to be within specs.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the .459 bullets available. I have gotten good accuracy from my two Marlins with 459's. There are a couple custom casters that do have 460 and 461 bullets, Bullshop makes a good bullet and will size to order, GT bulets makes a .460 gas check, there are others that will custom size.might wor