RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester M1917 Sight Questions

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I know this is an old post but hoping I will get some help with the correct size for my front sight replacement to get my POA lowered 8”. As outpost stated every .15” of adjustment raises or drops POA approx 3.9”. That means I need a front sight .3” higher then my factory W stamped sight. There is no number marked on my front sight only a W. Does someone know what front sight blade height I need to zero my POA with my battle peep? I’m hitting 8” high right now at 100 yards. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I'm interested in this too. My M1917 hits a good 10" high at 100 yards. I had no idea that different front sights were available. I just looked at the front sight on mine, it is marked "R". Is there a chart somewhere showing what all the front sight markings equate to?

If I remember I think there might be a number on the inside base of my blade when I pushed it out. Probably telling me what height it’s is. I’ll wait till someone chimes in. I’m sure by changing the height of the front sight the ladder peep calculations will be way out of POA vs the markings on it.

Boolit Master

I just looked at mine again. There is a R on the right side of the sight itself and another R on the left side of the sight base. My M1917 is made by Remington. So maybe these R marks simply identify it as being made by Remington. I can see no numbers.

Yep, mine is marked W for Winchester. I'm guessing we will have to measure the leaf/blade and go off the measurement? It would be better to replace the blade than aiming below the heart of a deer and blowing out the backbone at close range. Going to guess I need 2 sizes taller if they hit approx 4" higher with each .15" taller blade. I claimed a couple off PIF a couple years ago but believe they are the same height or shorter. I'll have measure.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-18-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master

While imprecise, I laid a caliper across the bore at centerline and eyeballed the sight height. It is about 1.000" even.

I believe the leaf that presses in is what you want to measure?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-18-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Master

I measured to the top of the sight blade.

I just went to a seller on ebay who offers various sizes and asked which sight I would need to raise up from my factory blade to .3". I'll keep you posted. They are $15.to $18. Ea

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Front sight blades for both the British Pattern 14 and the US 1917 come in eleven different heights, ranging from 0.985 to 1.135 inches above the centerline of the bore in .015 increments. The "0" marked front sight would be the second lowest and should measure an even inch above bore centerline if the sight has not been filed. Changing the height of front sight by one increment of .015 inch changes the point of impact 1 mil, about 3.9 inches at 100 yards or about 11 inches at 300 yards firing M1906 150-grain Ball ammunition.
    On the spot info Outpost 75-- I would to add that many of the M1917s went through the rebuild programs and in some cases little attention was given to the differences in elevation of the front sight blade. In other words a front sight blade is a front sight blade put to on and if it hits the target you are good to go! Pattern 1914 .303 blades are identical in heights except they are marked '14. M1917 are not marked except for the blade height and manufacturer. also bear in mind that some of the lower and higher end front sight blade heights were only available at the armory level maintenance and are in the realm of looking for live dinosaur eggs.

SMLE NOT No.4 Lee-Enfield blades will also fit but at a different heights.
    There were nine different SMLE front sights available and were marked on top of their base with their sizes. They were: .090, .075, .060, .045, .030, .015, .0, -.015 and -.030.

If used the following heights are achieved.

-.030 = .030
    -.015 = .045
    .0 = .060
    .015 = .075
    .030 = .090
    .045 = .105
    .060 = .120
    .075 = .135
    .090 = .150

If these SMLE front sight blades do not work then you can do what the Danes did and take off the blade and drill the front sight blade base for a tension pin and file down to your specs.

Thanks for the info. I never heard back from the ebay seller. I’m having second thoughts now about changing mine out because I don’t want to keep pushing my original blade in and out. I’m afraid it will get to the point it will be extremely loose and need to be replaced. I also don’t want to try and press in another that might be a hair longer and hog out where it slides into. Maybe I’ll wake up tomorrow and change my mind. But since the ladder peep hits dead nuts at 100 yards slid all the way down with my 150 grain jacketed reloads I think I will leave it be for now. I don’t mind hunting with it flipped up. I’ll just have to aware of it and careful not to let it get folded down from brush. I sit in a tree stand and blinds so the odds of it getting bumped is slim to none. If both peeps were off I’d mess with it.

Boolit Master

Great info, thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    If you are using the issue rear sight with the issue front sight Pacific which is now long gone used to make a sporting rear sight that fit into the dovetail on the issue rear sight where the spring went. Plus had two holes to be D&T'd on the right hand side of the receiver. Cannot remember if you had to remove part of the ear also on the right hand side. These sight show up usually on the web site auction house's. What we should do is compile a list of dealers that specialize in the older iron sights and which sight can be used on what firearms, and make it a sticky. I had the back side facing the receiver surface ground so it will fit the right hand side of a 1895 Winchester. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12