WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Needed a Mannlicher

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Needed a Mannlicher

I decided a couple years ago, I needed a Mannlicher. So, I began the parts search. I finally found a stock blank that was long enough on Ebay. Then I was in need of an action. It would have to be a Mauser, of course. I finally found a real nice FN at the gunshow in Kalispell the end of July.
    I had originally planned on building a .260 Remington. However, this one was already chambered in 6mm Remington, and I decided I could live with that, assuming it shot well. I test fired it when I got home, and it shot in under an inch. Works for me.
    So, I roughed out the stock on the pantograph, then did the inletting and shaping. This is a laminated stock, by the way. I also made an ebony grip cap for it.
    I switched out the factory bolt shroud for one with a three position safety, from Gentry. Next the factory trigger went, and was replaced with a Timney. I also bent the bolt handle, for better scope clearance. I got some Dakota sling mounts, and a 1/2" Pachmeyer Decellerator for the buttpad. I cut the barrel to length, and recrowned it.
    Once I had this done, I sent the barreled action and bottom metal off to Mel Doyle, in Plummer Idaho for blueing. I nitre blued the shroud, safety, trigger, nosecap, sling mounts, bolt release, and bolt handle, for a bit of color variation. I nitre'd the extractor to a straw color, for a bit more flash.
    Then I jeweled the bolt.
    I did the finish with Hunter Satin Custom Oil, and sent the stock to John Reese at Custom Diamonds, in Polson, Montana, as I can't see well enough to do checkering anymore.
    Anyway, here is the finished project. It will get a Leupold 3X9 mounted on it.

Click on pictures for larger image

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=mancheek.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nt=manbolt.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails manbolt.JPG   mancheek.JPG  
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Very pretty Ric. I'm envious.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice! You got a great "line" on the shape of the long forend (forestock?) Too bad most makers of woodworking tools have restraining orders on me........I'd sure use that for a mental pattern!

Boolit Master
    Nice work, waksupi.

I have had a soft spot in my head for full length stocks for quite a while. Actually had a Rem M722 with the full length stock. Unfortunately, the ex got the bolt for that rifle! Never have been able to find another bolt.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 11-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Rick you have once again showed us something that most of us appreciate. Very welldone.

Would you share what it cost to have the stock checkered?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Rick you have once again showed us something that most of us appreciate. Very welldone.

Would you share what it cost to have the stock checkered?
    John is very reasonable. This is called the deluxe pattern, which is a diamond point. I know the pics don't show it well, but he does a pretty nice job. This cost $150, plus return shipping. Very hard to beat the price/quality combination. Overruns tend to be at a minimum, but they can happen. John has checkered at least 100 rifles under my direction over the past few years, and has always delivered what was asked for. He has some other unique patterns he offers. Here is his web page. Take a look, and send your inquiries to him.

http://www.customdiamonds.biz/

Longhorn, the line of the forend, is self limiting. The nose cap gives you the finished plane at the muzzle end, and the bottom metal establishes the beginning of the taper. The bottom line should be straight from these points. The side dimensions should run from the location of the stock center at the front of the action, in a straight line to the muzzle cap. The surfaces above and below are then rounded to meet their proper lines.
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-08-2008 at 12:56 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remebrance

Well, I suppose it's alright if you like absolutely beautiful rifles...

Nice job!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!
    Think about a 3.5X10 Leupold VX-III

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, yeah, Ric--I understand the concept--I just couldn't pull it off for love nor money. I've seen plenty of amateur and supposed pro efforts that had some ugly "belly" somewhere in it--not yours! Yours'd look right at home next to my M-S 1952. Great stock work.

Boolit Master

Rick thanksf or the info. I did try to soom in on the pictures to see what king of pattern was on the stock. It looked very well done.

Have you seen many of the customs guns done with flat top checker or a skip line? Isn't the french checker pattern some kine of flat top instead of coming to a point?

When done right the checkering only enhances an already good looking stock.

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Rick thanksf or the info. I did try to soom in on the pictures to see what king of pattern was on the stock. It looked very well done.

Have you seen many of the customs guns done with flat top checker or a skip line? Isn't the french checker pattern some kine of flat top instead of coming to a point?

When done right the checkering only enhances an already good looking stock.
    I'll try to get some pics tomorrow for you.

I have never seen a new custom rifle with flat top, or skip line. The only flat top one I can remember right off, is one Monte Kennedy did years ago for one of my friends. It is ok, but to me, doesn't have the functionality of pointed patterns

Kinda fuzzy, but here ya go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails check2.jpg   check1.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Beautiful!!!

The wood in that blank is really nice looking. I hope my Springfield stock shows up with as nice a grain.

Really something to be proud of.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have a close up of the action on both sides? I'm interested in how the nitre blued parts contrast with the receiver. I've got a nice long piece of walnut I'm saving for a Mannlicher whenever I get the courage up to cut into it.

If I have time, I will take some pics the next few days. Busy at the time, so not a lot of play time available.
    The contrast is nice, and would do it again.

Absolutely gorgeous. But to me, a full length stocked rifle doesn’t look right without iron sights.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That is absolutely beautiful. Very nice.