RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone thought about sticking a Dillon trimmer on this thing yet by the way? If I had $300 to blow that's what I'd do I suspect. Now that I've said it would it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by drac0nic View Post
    Anyone thought about sticking a Dillon trimmer on this thing yet by the way? If I had $300 to blow that's what I'd do I suspect. Now that I've said it would it fit?
    I have a 1050 tool head set up for processing 5.56 brass with a Dillon trimmer mounted to it. Definitely something I'll be trying when I get the APP, but that's still a few months away for me.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Bub
    Primer pocket swagger video is on the lee website looks fast also looks like it takes a pretty good push on the lever. I don’t know how to link the video

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollyboy View Post
    Primer pocket swagger video is on the lee website looks fast also looks like it takes a pretty good push on the lever. I don’t know how to link the video
    Here's a link to the page, scroll down, vids at the bottom:
    https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-app-press.html
    That vid of the primer pocket swage is a poor indorsement for Lee's press stand as it's flexing big time...

I'm thinking all that push is to compress the Bellville Washers used to strip the case off the swagger pin.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyboy View Post
    Compared to my RCBS kit, that Lee die looks like no effort at all. I especially like that you don't have to slam the handle up to force the shell off.

The only thing I'm wondering now is if the 4 tube case feeder from the Pro1000 will fit. de capping looks slick as snot with this press, and being able to load 4 tubes with that black magic case collator would be tops.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    That vid of the primer pocket swage is a poor indorsement for Lee's press stand as it's flexing big time...

I'm thinking all that push is to compress the Bellville Washers used to strip the case off the swagger pin.

That primer pocket video is so awesome. I can imagine a nice case feeder sitting up there and a giant bucket of brass being processed in a short amount of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by drac0nic View Post
    There's no way it would fit between the STOCK handle. But if a person had the will they could make an altered version that was wider and taller to accommodate that large trimmer motor and the vacuum attachment.

Boolit Master

I use that same stand for loading 9 , 40 , 45acp , 38 / 357 none of these are hard to resize but I don't get flex that I see in that video I did not notice the flex in the other videos . His stand may not be bolted together well , or the the pocket tool puts more pressure on the stand than what I load . It does appear to run nice and smooth compared to my RCBS tool , the videos are great to see it in action .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I use that same stand for loading 9 , 40 , 45acp , 38 / 357 none of these are hard to resize but I don't get flex that I see in that video I did not notice the flex in the other videos . His stand may not be bolted together well , or the the pocket tool puts more pressure on the stand than what I load . It does appear to run nice and smooth compared to my RCBS tool , the videos are great to see it in action .
    Good to know
    You can see movement of the back leg where it bolts to the top, probably because the bolts are not tight.

I also am concerned about the "pass thru" shell holder distorting the case rim when subjected to the pressure generated while swaging the primer pocket.
    jmo,

Edit2: After watching the vid, it looks like the shell holder is not subject to any forces during the swaging operation, and I'm no longer concerned about the case rim....now I'll have to buy one
    Edit: add pic of Bellville washers (green in this pic):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swagingsetup.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-22-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Yup I would think it would be good to lube the pockets well , gonna be interesting to see some real world reviews, on my rcbs getting the tit out of the case was harder than pushing it in the springs in this one may help that.
    One thing about it is that if it works like the videos show I will have several uses for it even if one of them does not work the way I want.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know
    You can see movement of the back leg where it bolts to the top, probably because the bolts are not tight.

I also am concerned about the "pass thru" shell holder distorting the case rim when subjected to the pressure generated while swaging the primer pocket.
    jmo,

Edit: add pic of Bellville washers (green in this pic):

Can't be any worse than that setup people are using on the XL650. That just straight up pushes up on everything, NO interior support. Some people rave about it a couple were not impressed.

Banned

Jan. 24th, 2020 is the ship date now.

Has anyone talked to Lee to see if the multi tube case feeder will be able to go onto the feeder they have now? I ordered the deluxe and 4 sizers and the sizer kit. I need to order a few more parts yet. I think I will get the remainder from Titan.

Do you really think you will need a separate primer swage for 9mm and 223? I do both now with a RCBS press mounted one.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't load 5.56 or 9mm auto, but according to the Lee website the dies are different. I also see they make a shell holder adapter. You could likely buy that adapter, and buy shell holders for whatever small primer pocket case you want. I don't know if they always had them or not, but it looks like they have both standard and x-press shell holders for the whole spectrum of cases.

Banned
    Just too much plastic on it to suit me. I'll stick to what I have.

Well, I jumped in. Just ordered the Deluxe APP off of Titan's site.

The Deluxe kit says that it includes the fingers needed for .22 cal bullets, but I'm gonna be sizing mostly 9mm's. So I ordered the fingers from Lee's bullet feeder kit for 9mm. Hope they end up being compatible with this press, but it does look like the APP uses the same hardware from their existing bullet feeder lineup. Ordered them in all the various lengths for 9mm boolit sizing goodness.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Well, I jumped in. Just ordered the Deluxe APP off of Titan's site.

The Deluxe kit says that it includes the fingers needed for .22 cal bullets, but I'm gonna be sizing mostly 9mm's. So I ordered the fingers from Lee's bullet feeder kit for 9mm. Hope they end up being compatible with this press, but it does look like the APP uses the same hardware from their existing bullet feeder lineup. Ordered them in all the various lengths for 9mm boolit sizing goodness.
    Phlier, I would call Titan and verify this. From my eye, NONE of the parts from the APP sliding setup share anything with the Lee bullet feeder setup. I'm pretty familiar with it and I don't see anything that looks like a crossover part.
    At some point I think Lee will have the individual pieces for sale once initial sales needs are met and people start breaking stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Jan. 24th, 2020 is the ship date now.

Has anyone talked to Lee to see if the multi tube case feeder will be able to go onto the feeder they have now? I ordered the deluxe and 4 sizers and the sizer kit. I need to order a few more parts yet. I think I will get the remainder from Titan.

Do you really think you will need a separate primer swage for 9mm and 223? I do both now with a RCBS press mounted one.
    I have not noticed any one mentioning if Lee has said if the 4 tube feeder will work. But looking at the videos I can't see a reason it wouldn't but who knows . I have a couple so it will be interesting to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-Bossman View Post
    Phlier, I would call Titan and verify this. From my eye, NONE of the parts from the APP sliding setup share anything with the Lee bullet feeder setup. I'm pretty familiar with it and I don't see anything that looks like a crossover part.
    At some point I think Lee will have the individual pieces for sale once initial sales needs are met and people start breaking stuff.
    I was afraid that might be the case, but I'll still have use for those parts even if they don't fit... I'm going to mount a bracket on my son's 550 that will allow the Lee bullet feeder to work with his press. Kind of a poor man's DAA kit, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, being able to use them for another purpose is why I went ahead and took the chance.

I sure wish they'd make the 9mm arms for the APP available at launch, but then again, they don't even seem to be capable of getting the plastic bottle ready before then, either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    That big old bottle has to go someplace so my guess would be it goes over the side but thought I saw it doesn't hang over the bench.

Lee sizing dies work well if you tumble lube the bullets in alox or one of the variations instead of PC or stick lubes such as one uses with the lube-o-matic.

I think it is a neat idea but... you first. I think there are things I would rather purchase first and I'm good letting someone else help them find the bugs. It did seem that one could spend some coin getting the related items needed to get the most out of that press.
    I tumble lube all my size/size and gas check boolits first, then I go back and pan lube the ones with grease grooves, ir re tumble the ones with micro grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    Phlier, I have a gut feeling that the APP bullet feeder we see in the video is almost a universal, but that the 22 was just too small and needed it's own arms.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast