Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

I have one on pre-order also. Wonder if I'll be able to use my NOE bushing sizer on this?

Boolit Buddy
    I cant wait to get one. It has to be more durable than my star sizer.

Hopefully the bullet feeder is robust and reliable.

Boolit Buddy
    Talked to a Lee tech named Peter, and he said you have to get the new style bullet sizers for this press.

I also called Titan after a bit more research and there is no reason the old system won't work based on what info we have. He is going to email Lee and see just EXACTLY why the old setup won't work. If it's just about being able to thread the bottle on, almost nobody is gonna give 2 craps about that bottle.

Update: Confirmed you CAN use your old sizing dies. Apparently they have a little right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing over at LEE.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instr...toAPPpress.pdf
    Last edited by AR-Bossman; 12-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Even though I have a Star I'm going to buy one of these....if the NOE sizing system will work with it, and it appears that it will.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at the way that the sizing stuff works my guess is going to be you'll be able to use your old sizing dies but you're not going to be able to use the collection hopper for this.

Actually, look at this kit:

https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

It will be interesting to see if the hopper can be used with a second nut and a conventional die.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by drac0nic View Post
    Looking at the way that the sizing stuff works my guess is going to be you'll be able to use your old sizing dies but you're not going to be able to use the collection hopper for this.

It will be interesting to see if the hopper can be used with a second nut and a conventional die.
    Nobody wants that hopper for bullets. It's way too small.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-Bossman View Post
    I'm thinking about seeing if I can stick a piece of heater hose or vinyl tubing on the die and then having it slope downwards a bit into something like a 1lb powder canister or bigger as a catch can.

Boolit Master
    Dang! Missing the projected date sucks, was hoping to be cranking on mine soon but looks like we're stuck with another 1.5 months. Well my Bday is at the end of January so perhaps a sweet gift to myself for it!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't even use the hopper. I would put a container right below for the bullets to drop.

Talked to a Lee tech named Peter, and he said you have to get the new style bullet sizers for this press.

I also called Titan after a bit more research and there is no reason the old system won't work based on what info we have. He is going to email Lee and see just EXACTLY why the old setup won't work. If it's just about being able to thread the bottle on, almost nobody is gonna give 2 craps about that bottle.

Update: Confirmed you CAN use your old sizing dies. Apparently they have a little right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing over at LEE.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instr...toAPPpress.pdf
    Great information, thanks for this! Hated to think about replacing all of my Lee push through sizing dies just for the convenience of this press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Dang! Missing the projected date sucks, was hoping to be cranking on mine soon but looks like we're stuck with another 1.5 months. Well my Bday is at the end of January so perhaps a sweet gift to myself for it!
    Yup. Mine's in mid February. Wife made me decided between this press or a new mold for Christmas. Looks like I made the right choice by going with the mold. Ah well, my son can handle sizing boolits on the LCT for another couple months.
    Quote Originally Posted by baragasam View Post
    I wouldn't even use the hopper. I would put a container right below for the bullets to drop.
    I'm thinking I might re-purpose the plastic spent primer tube that came with my LCT. Use it to slow down and guide the sized boolits down to a container on the floor.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking about seeing if I can stick a piece of heater hose or vinyl tubing on the die and then having it slope downwards a bit into something like a 1lb powder canister or bigger as a catch can.
    I do that with the one piece Lee sizers in a standard press, a piece of clear vinyl tube (might be 3/4 or 7/8") slipped over the top/knurled part of the die.
    The bullets push along in the tube, over the natural arc in the tube, and fall out of the other end of the tube into a container on the bench, I never have to empty it.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy

In action looks like fun

https://youtu.be/InOzvm2BnXQ
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Grand Master

I've been busy, and have not got a chance to try the new bullet sizing inserts yet. Just so everyone is aware, these do need a breech lock capable press to use. The breech lock is the assembly that holds the sizing bushings in. You can buy both a 1 1/4-12 and a 1 1/2-12 to Breech Lock adapters from Lee for around $10, likely less from other sources. I'll save judgment on the catch bottle until after I try it, but I too am not that impressed. I like the red bottle you got with their old sizing dies, they work fine, hold a decent amount of bullets. The new catch bottle looks smaller, but what I don't like is the first bullets are going to be falling a distance on each other. A ding in the bullet base is a destroyed bullet. A section of thread will be left exposed, so you could figure something out. A hose into a large container sounds like a perfect solution.

Boolit Buddy
    Aaah cool, that's good to know. The idea these work in breech lock presses kind of infers the opposite in that if you have breech lock bushings you can use a standard die in the press. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but hey I prepaid so I'll be glad to validate my purchase. :P

Boolit Grand Master

I am not all that amazed by the breech lock bushings. They are not a hindrance either. In presses like my Lee hand press that come with them, I simply leave them installed and thread the dies in. If I were to want to use these breech lock sizer bushings on a standard press like an RCBS rock chucker, I would get the 1/4-12 breech lock adapter, one breech lock bushing, and just leave it in. You can't use these sizing bushing in anything other than the specific breech lock assembly, which is just a bored out breech lock bushing, and has a step inside to hold the bushing.

Got the update too late. I talked with a Lee tech this morning and he said you had to use the new sizer die. Seems he doesn't know per the updates above. Too late, I already order the new sizers and new breech lock bushings. Oh well.

Boolit Master
    I very well might be sizing bullets with mine but for me by a LARGE margin, will be for decapping brass which looks like it will be a treat for that! I will make a drop tube to a bucket to collect the brass. Not worried about the bottle at all, I have a primer disposal system that collects all my presses to a single receptacle. I can create something for bullet collection. Probably use it for bulge busting .40 S&W brass when I get a Single Stack and Limited gun going.

Ill feed it brass with either the case feeder on my Dillon via feed tube or my feeder I built on my current depriming machine.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Piece of PVC notched wouldn’t be perfect to cover the diameter of the hole, creating a Chute for sized bullets or brass.

I’m gonna wait a month and hop on this knowing my sizing dies will fit.

Might even use a Dillon case feeder for the swaging.
    Last edited by psychbiker; 12-17-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I very well might be sizing bullets with mine but for me by a LARGE margin, will be for decapping brass which looks like it will be a treat for that! I will make a drop tube to a bucket to collect the brass. Not worried about the bottle at all, I have a primer disposal system that collects all my presses to a single receptacle. I can create something for bullet collection. Probably use it for bulge busting .40 S&W brass when I get a Single Stack and Limited gun going.

Ill feed it brass with either the case feeder on my Dillon via feed tube or my feeder I built on my current depriming machine.
    I want to swage primer pockets. I have a stack of 5.56 that needs to get run through. I have the pocket reamer and typically stick it in a drill press and it's neither fast nor really that great IMO.

Boolit Master
    I want to swage primer pockets. I have a stack of 5.56 that needs to get run through. I have the pocket reamer and typically stick it in a drill press and it's neither fast nor really that great IMO.
    I forgot about that but I'll have the occasional run of swage'n to do too. I have a process to turn 5.56 brass into essentially .38 Super Comp, known as .38TJ, Todd Jarrett. I have buckets of 5.56 brass and can get more that ends up being way cheaper than Super Comp. Part of said process is swageing that crimp out.

Long as this new App Press is well made, sturdy, and feeds reliably, its going to be an awesome machine! Especially for the price. If my own beta testing goes well I'll probably buy another!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 12-18-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast