Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

I sent an email to Titan last week, asking for an approximate ship date for my 12/26 APP order. They responded that they had enough APP's on their purchase order with Lee to fill all of their back orders, and were expecting to ship out all of the outstanding back orders for the press by today (2/7). As of now, my order is still "Pending."

Anyone else still waiting for a APP on back order through Titan?

My mound of unsized boolits is getting a bit unwieldy...
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    I'm still waiting, though it may have been because of the other items I ordered. Just got notice of a refund on one item "no longer manufactured by Lee", or words to that effect. Am waiting to see about shipment of the rest.

Boolit Buddy

I got mine from Titan yesterday, I think no ordered in November. I had gotten a partial refund earlier. I believe it had to do with the aware parts and what was included (I have the aware stuff I needed) . Unfortunately I got to open it and look it but my bench is under construction so I haven't had a chance to say it up and play with it yet.

Boolit Grand Master

I got mine today. I read the instructions, set it up, and proceeded to decap then primer pocket swage 308 winchester machine gun fired brass. I wont lie, about 1 in 50 would hiccup. About half of those were because of brass with a significant extrusion on the case head. I'm more than happy with that. This thing rips. The time to decap then swage about 500 cases was maybe an hour.

I did try to size, and it does do it. I only ran a handful however, as it was clear either the press or my shoulder wouldn't hold up to a lifetime of that. Some size fine, but there is some very large brass mixed in that is plenty of work even for the rockchucker.

I had ordered X shell holders when they came out, and they are the original style. Some cases did not fit freely in them, as many have noticed. My press came with the upgraded X shell holders, and other than a few cases with large extrusions, they did not hang up on a single case. The only feeding problems I had were more to do with the case feeder, which may need some adjustment. I see from the instructions that there is a set screw, but I did not mess with it.

The only other problem I had was that some of my cases had dinged mouths that would hang up on the swager punch. I had to wiggle the case to get it lined up perfectly. I'm thinking this is why Lee came out with the deprime and flare die, to sure up the mouths. I did not use that, I used my standard decapping die.

It's not the end all, be all reloading press. I'm sorry to those who thought that's what it was, and were disappointed. For me, it is exactly what I wanted. It expedites case prep, one of my least favorite chores, and it is also a fantastic bullet sizing press. The bottle wont fit too many bullets, that's and easy fix, but it is phenomenal for catching primers. There is no reason you couldn't load ammo on this press, I just wouldn't full length resize large bottle neck rifle cases. You could still neck size if you want. You could easily resize pistol brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the review.

I'm probably going to have to re-order one

Banned

Midsouth had them in stock yesterday.

Just got an email that Titan shipped my press. Looks like they were right on the money about the shipping date.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Banned

Tried to size some 9mm tonite. I grabbed a bucket of brass that has been reloaded 3x's. NOGO. Pulled the rims off of 5 in 50 cases. Broke one of the pins off the rod on my Lee 9mm full length die getting the rod out. I had a spare so I stopped right there.

I am going to have to get some spray lube to size these on this press. Put my case feeder back on the ABLP and sized 1.5K cases from a different bucket. They are all 1x fired and have a bunch of crimped primer brass mixed in. Got a little over 4.5 buckets to do yet. Shoulder is already speaking to me.

I did size 2K bullets for the 9 though. Can't wait to get the Ammo Mike bullet collator. Filling that tube all the time is crazy.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    My press will be here Monday.
    My app swage kit just showed up.
    I guess all the extra shell holders and bulge buster I ordered will come with the press.

The swager looks well made and seems to be a better option than having three different swagers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Swage kit comes with both, big and small primer? Nice! Got far too many 556 and 308 to swage.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Titan came through and my press is here.
    I can confirm the new Xpress shell holders that ship with the press now have the primer clearance milled in.
    The extra shell holders I bought do not.

If anyone's curious
    The bulge buster comes with three size rings.
    9mm, .40, and .45

Here's the app bulge buster assembled.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Tried to size some 9mm tonite. I grabbed a bucket of brass that has been reloaded 3x's. NOGO. Pulled the rims off of 5 in 50 cases. Broke one of the pins off the rod on my Lee 9mm full length die getting the rod out. I had a spare so I stopped right there.

I am going to have to get some spray lube to size these on this press. Put my case feeder back on the ABLP and sized 1.5K cases from a different bucket. They are all 1x fired and have a bunch of crimped primer brass mixed in. Got a little over 4.5 buckets to do yet. Shoulder is already speaking to me.

I did size 2K bullets for the 9 though. Can't wait to get the Ammo Mike bullet collator. Filling that tube all the time is crazy.
    Was this crimped primer brass?

Yesterday I sized about 800 cases of 45 acp. I was starting to have some problems when some dirt got into the case feeder. That thing has to be clean. But as far as actual sizing, I had no troubles at all. I was using a Lee carbide sizing die, no case lube, dirty brass, and none crimped.

I can confirm that the 4 hole case feeder from my Pro1000 fits right on. Since I have the Pro1000, I do most of my bulk pistol sizing on that, but I had to give the APP a go.

One thing I might have failed to mention was how I was feeding brass while decapping and swaging 308 Winchester. I had only set up the case feeder plus the case holder. I did not put the clear tube in though. I fed cases one by one through the hole. I figure I either have to fill the tube one by one, or feed cases one by one. Unless someone knows a trick to quickly fill the tubes with rifle brass, this is likely how I will do it for now on.

I don't want to jump the gun, as I have not primed many of my 308 brass yet, but so far I LOVE the Lee primer pocket swager. It is so stinking easy to use compared to my RCBS. You hardly even feel it working. I tried a couple pieces of brass just to make sure it was working, and they did prime fine. I think the difference is the RCBS is trying to swage the whole primer pocket, which it doesn't do that great of a job, and it always sticks. The Lee seems to only serve to squeeze out the crimp.

Banned

No they were not crimped brass. The rims were just beat up. They were just sticking in the die on the upstroke. I ended up putting the 4 hole tube case feeder back on the ABLP and sized them all on there. I have a huge amount of crimped primer brass mixed in and will have to go through the swager. I figured I'd size them instead of deprime them as they would need to be sized anyway.

Only problem I am having is the shuttle getting stuck at the die. It is random on when it happens it is hard to see what actually is causing it.

Boolit Master

I ordered mine Jan. 15th from Titan, so far no news.

Boolit Master

I was sticking some 9mm brass on a square deal and tearing rims , wiped brass down and tearing rims went away , I had citrus washed and tumbled this and I found it was still a little residue from tumbler with fact of shell plates not being as tight on 9mm as they could be , I am waiting on my lee APP mainly for bullet sizing and later will buy primer pocket swager .

Boolit Master

Just received my shipping notice for my press and the extra shell holders I ordered, so hopefully by next week I will have it in hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I got mine today. I read the instructions, set it up, and proceeded to decap then primer pocket swage 308 winchester machine gun fired brass. I wont lie, about 1 in 50 would hiccup. About half of those were because of brass with a significant extrusion on the case head. I'm more than happy with that. This thing rips. The time to decap then swage about 500 cases was maybe an hour.

I did try to size, and it does do it. I only ran a handful however, as it was clear either the press or my shoulder wouldn't hold up to a lifetime of that. Some size fine, but there is some very large brass mixed in that is plenty of work even for the rockchucker.

I had ordered X shell holders when they came out, and they are the original style. Some cases did not fit freely in them, as many have noticed. My press came with the upgraded X shell holders, and other than a few cases with large extrusions, they did not hang up on a single case. The only feeding problems I had were more to do with the case feeder, which may need some adjustment. I see from the instructions that there is a set screw, but I did not mess with it.

The only other problem I had was that some of my cases had dinged mouths that would hang up on the swager punch. I had to wiggle the case to get it lined up perfectly. I'm thinking this is why Lee came out with the deprime and flare die, to sure up the mouths. I did not use that, I used my standard decapping die.

It's not the end all, be all reloading press. I'm sorry to those who thought that's what it was, and were disappointed. For me, it is exactly what I wanted. It expedites case prep, one of my least favorite chores, and it is also a fantastic bullet sizing press. The bottle wont fit too many bullets, that's and easy fix, but it is phenomenal for catching primers. There is no reason you couldn't load ammo on this press, I just wouldn't full length resize large bottle neck rifle cases. You could still neck size if you want. You could easily resize pistol brass.
    Good review and confirms my suspicion. It will not be able to size military brass from a machine gun. Like you, even my RC sometimes struggles with that job and this press is no RC. Still, it provides a good way to swage primer pockets for those who do not load on a Dillon 1050. And as a sizer it will be awesome. Good value IMHO
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Any reviews of the swaging?

Only want this for sizing lead and swaging brass.

Boolit Master
    Mine came today from Titan, ordered around Black Friday last year. Titan cancelled and refunded the old Lee swager, but I neglected to order the new one for the AAP, and additionally I don't have the Lee Universal decapper (I load on a SDB with the proprietary dies, and it only deprimes pistol cases) so those two functions for rifle cases are going to have to wait.

I set it up to do 9mm boolit resizing. It works smoothly, but I have to admit that I only had already sized boolits and the sizing die used on them immediately available, so I expect a bit more effort when I size down from .358/9 as cast to .357.

I set up the automation kit for boolit sizing. I had a little trouble getting the tube supports to stay in position. Lock washers may be needed to tighten up the nuts. Personally, I'm thinking I might forego the automation in this function for a few reasons. One is that loading the tube is likely to take me longer than hand feeding the boolits singly. Another is that I'm not sure the tube support is going to reliably hold the weight of a column of bullets without shifting and causing misfeeding. A third is that it takes most of a full stroke to actuate the slide jaw mechanism, but much less than that for me to hand insert and size my pistol boolits. By hand I can now do better than thirty a minute with the sized boolits, with the unsized bullets over a long session less than that, but significantly faster and easier than what I do now.

So far I see this as a success.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Mine came today from Titan, ordered around Black Friday last year. Titan cancelled and refunded the old Lee swager, but I neglected to order the new one for the AAP, and additionally I don't have the Lee Universal decapper (I load on a SDB with the proprietary dies, and it only deprimes pistol cases) so those two functions for rifle cases are going to have to wait.

I set it up to do 9mm boolit resizing. It works smoothly, but I have to admit that I only had already sized boolits and the sizing die used on them immediately available, so I expect a bit more effort when I size down from .358/9 as cast to .357.

I set up the automation kit for boolit sizing. I had a little trouble getting the tube supports to stay in position. Lock washers may be needed to tighten up the nuts. Personally, I'm thinking I might forego the automation in this function for a few reasons. One is that loading the tube is likely to take me longer than hand feeding the boolits singly. Another is that I'm not sure the tube support is going to reliably hold the weight of a column of bullets without shifting and causing misfeeding. A third is that it takes most of a full stroke to actuate the slide jaw mechanism, but much less than that for me to hand insert and size my pistol boolits. By hand I can now do better than thirty a minute with the sized boolits, with the unsized bullets over a long session less than that, but significantly faster and easier than what I do now.

So far I see this as a success.
    I came to the same conclusion. Unless you have some kind of automatic case or bullet feeder, it's best to do this by hand, one by one. For pistol brass, you can buy the Pro1000 4-hole feeder and case collator. That thing is magic. I had no problems with my tube support though. There is supposed to be a nut on top, and on bottom of the hole it mounts in. You tighten those nuts, and it should hold very well. I'm not sure why yours would not be.

As for the primer pocket swager, it is fantastic. The APP press is cool, the other stuff is cool, but the primer pocket swage kit is the #1 most impressive thing to come out for reloading this year. I ran another batch of 308 brass today, so I likely have around 600-700 cases through this die now. Not a single hang up. You do have to push down with a decent force. Lee states 20# on the handle, I find I had to set mine a bit farther to fully get the crimp out. If you had ever tried the RCBS, this LEE kit will be the best thing you ever tried.

The one and only downfall is that the kit only works in the APP press. I see no reason that a punch for a shell holder couldn't be developed, and used in a standard press.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast