WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

Boolit Master

Just got it and I love it!

Hi all!
    I also posted this in another thread, but thought it would be appropriate here as well.
    Ed

Yesterday, I received my pre-ordered APP Deluxe Press kit from FS Reloading, and waited until today to play with it. Set up was straight forward and easy, and since I already had a spare Lee Bench plate, mounting was a snap. I wasted no time in hooking up my bullet feeder set up with a case feeding disk, and proceeded to size about 1500 - .45 ACP cases. It only took me about 2-1/2 hours, but I would have been finished much quicker if I could get the case feeder to work consistently, so I kept out-running it. I did learn a couple of things...for the feeder mechanism to work properly, you need to give the press a full up-stroke and down-stroke. I also used some silicone grease to lube the slide of the feed mechanism and it worked smoothly and effortlessly. I'm not at all worried about the plastic parts as they aren't stressed in use and I suspect will last a long time. Bottom line, I really, really like this press and can't wait to see how it works sizing bullets. For you guys still on the fence, you can't lose if you get it from MidSouthShooters for about $75.00.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	258203 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feeder.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	258205

Banned

I ran into some military brass today that had flash holes that were extremely small. I broke the decapper that comes with the swage kit and the one on my full length die before I figured it out.

So my press is down till I get some replacements. I have lots of 223 brass to process and it is not going anywhere right now. I can't size or decap.

Boolit Bub
    A small flash hole won’t break a pin but a berdan primed case likely will check those head stamped cases carefully

Boolit Master
    I've had my press for a week now. I've processed a couple thou 9mm so far. De-capped, then pin tumbled. Next was bulge busting and then pocket swaging. De-capping and swaging were the reasons I purchased this thing. I am well-pleased so far, but have had a few issues. After a couple thousand de-priming, slide would not reliably advance to the die. It would lack about an eight of an inch. A call to Lee said to slightly loosen the screw next to the die, but that didn't help. I had already taken the plastic parts out and cleaned with a toothbrush and clear water. It helped, but didn't cure the problem. I tried powdered graphite, but made it worse. Cleaned again, and tried some spray-on silicone spray and let dry. That did a pretty good job of fixing the stickiness. De-capping is very fast, swaging, pretty good, but not as fast, then bulge busting. Sometimes the brass does not drop thru the plate and has to be nudged a little. The bulge busting didn't work nearly as well, but was more or less acceptable to me. It was a little aggravating, tho.
    I didn't get the press to do sizing or loading, as I have an xl750 , a SDB and several Rock Chuckers.
    I think the spring that does the feeding needs to be just a little stiffer. Mine will bow up from time to time. You really have to watch carefully for jams and catch them when they start and correct them. It does take a little getting used to, but that is the same as any other new toy.

I am well pleased with this press. I think it could work a little better, but would not hesitate to buy it again.

As someone else said, I broke the de-capping pin, and Lee sent me a replacement. I used my old style pin to finish the run that I was working on and it worked fine. I've used the older Lee de-capping die for quite a while and never had to use one of the spare pins I had purchased when I bought it, so I didn't have to wait to finish what I was doing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyboy View Post
    A small flash hole won’t break a pin but a berdan primed case likely will check those head stamped cases carefully
    They are NOT berdan primed. The hole is extremely small. You must not have ever had to deal with brass like this before. There was some Guatemalan or Malaysian brass that was like this years back as well.

Do a search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=F%26...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Boolit Master

New mod for my Lee APP

Hi all,
    I've been working with my APP, and the more I use it, the more I like it. I finally got my case feeder working reliably, so my resizing speed has really increased. One thing that bothered me was getting that pretty new bottle dirty with primer residue, so I printed a soda bottle adapter with my 3D printer. That way I could use a standard soda bottle to catch old primers, put the cap back on and throw it away...no muss, no fuss. I've posted the .stl file on Thingiverse here in case you'd like to print one for yourself.
    Ed

Name:	Soda adapter 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	258608 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	258610 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	258611

Boolit Master
    Great idea be nice to screw a lid on it and just pitch it !
    Good job.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been working with my APP, and the more I use it, the more I like it. I finally got my case feeder working reliably, so my resizing speed has really increased. One thing that bothered me was getting that pretty new bottle dirty with primer residue, so I printed a soda bottle adapter with my 3D printer. That way I could use a standard soda bottle to catch old primers, put the cap back on and throw it away...no muss, no fuss. I've posted the .stl file on Thingiverse here in case you'd like to print one for yourself.
    Ed
    How did you figure out thread sizing?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AR-Bossman View Post
    How did you figure out thread sizing?
    Hi. The soda bottle thread is pretty common and there are plenty of soda couplers on Thingiverse. The press thread is a standard 7/8-14 (same as most dies,) so it was a simple matter of matching the two up. My next project is to make a more comfortable handle.
    Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Just a quick checkin. I was one of the excited fellas at first, then kind of put off by the fact that they backtracked about resizing rifle brass.

Well, I just wanted to say I'm loving this app. I have been resizing the heck out of 223/556 brass. Mostly LC. Then followed up by using the swaging operation. The APP works really well. I have it dialed in and it's probably feeding 98 out of 100 cases. The only small problem has been the very occasional double feed. My daughter is already pretty sick of feeding cases on this thing. My bribes are becoming to expensive for me to maintain . So I'm working through putting together the shoebox case feeder with my 3D printer.

So to date, I have 7 11x17 loading blocks of processed 556 brass I have sent through this press. All de-primed, sized and swaged. Then trimmed and primed waiting for CMP highpower charges. So that's 1300 cases so far. Probably closer to 1500 because of the extra cases I dropped into my pinking/bulk brass bucket for non CMP shooting.

I'm glad I came back to the table and gave the APP a chance.

Boolit Master
    Great to hear this Dimmer , I have not sized on mine but it is sure sweet to use for de-capping I am using Lees 4 tube case feeder and collator and it is working great with pistol cases have done 32 ,38,9mm,.40, 44 , 45 acp and 45 colt with it really saves a lot of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Parts Check List Before I order:

I'm getting this to swage 223 and 308 and size casted bullets.

The APP Deluxe Kit looks like it has everything I need. It comes with 2,4,19 X Shellholders which covers the calibers I use. I have all the Lee thread in sizers already. I'm adding the swage kit.

Anything else I can think of? After using he tubes for a bit I'll see if I want to get a bullet feeder. I had a dillon case feeder not being used for the swaging.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally if I were doing it over, i would get two of the x shellholders in the calibers that I size and swage with most. I very much dislike disassembling the swage lower part to get the shell holder out when I switch back to sizing. I find I switch quite often and a 2nd shell holder would be super convenient

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Personally if I were doing it over, i would get two of the x shellholders in the calibers that I size and swage with most. I very much dislike disassembling the swage lower part to get the shell holder out when I switch back to sizing. I find I switch quite often and a 2nd shell holder would be super convenient
    Titan has the X-press Shellplates in stock, I ordered one extra of #2 and #4 for the same reason..

Boolit Master

Doe anyone know if either Titan or FS Reloading are shipping the new upgraded shell holder with the hourglass groove cut in the face of the shell holder? Or are they still using up the old stock?
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Casting_40S&W View Post
    Titan has the X-press Shellplates in stock, I ordered one extra of #2 and #4 for the same reason..
    Let us know if your extra shell holders have the grove in them to let a high primer enter the shell holder .
    I ordered 3 shell holders when I bought my app and they do not have the grove this has caused me no problems but would have preferred the latest style. Be kind of a pain to have to reseat a fired primer to get it in that style shell holder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Let us know if your extra shell holders have the grove in them to let a high primer enter the shell holder .
    I ordered 3 shell holders when I bought my app and they do not have the grove this has caused me no problems but would have preferred the latest style. Be kind of a pain to have to reseat a fired primer to get it in that style shell holder.
    Both of my 2's and 4's and the one 19 that came with the press have the groove.

Banned

Titan is next door to Lee. They are shipping the new shell holders. So is Midsouth.

Boolit Buddy
    Midway has them in stock 3/23 with free shipping I think. I’m adding a lee 4-20 so I can stack them and cast around 30lbs at once. Basically use the top 4/20 to feed into the bottom 4/20 that has a pid.

Mid south has it all now. Press. Stage kit and lee 4/20 but $15 in shipping. Think I’ll save the $15 and order form midway.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi all,
    Ed

Name:	Soda adapter 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	258608 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	258610 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	258611
    I have one that connects a 1lb powder bottle but haven't posted it - didn't even think about a water bottle.

Currently printing out a a test print of a slider model for 45 ACP - the model is parameterized so I only need to give Fusion the case diameter and height.
    Need to upload a few designs for the APP
    https://www.thingiverse.com/pastera/designs
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4222789

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast