Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parkinsons

Boolit Buddy

Parkinsons

Anyone have anything or idea to help slow it down?
    I am seeing a neurologists but they can only treat the simptoms.
    They say that nothing can even slow it.
    At this point I might try anything.
    Last edited by Dave C.; 10-30-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master

they had something on the news around here about a year ago. they had a few local gyms set up specifically for parkinsons people. to me it looked like the main activity was hitting a speed bag, but they did other light excercises that depended largely on hand/ eye coordination. seemed to me like their objective was to get some excercise, but mainly to keep the mind and body working together.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Stay tough Brother

It took my father. Get to a support group.

My My all the pills he took.

If you need to talk or just want to send me a pm
    Last edited by DCP; 10-30-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of the rough road you have to travel. I would think that repetitive physical activities that might add new muscle, nerve, brain paths and reinforce the existing ones might well help. Things such as the speed bag or jacks or other activities where you might maintain those neural paths by rebuilding them.

Similar to a spinal injury patient doing a powered exercise bike helping to maintain or preserve leg nerves and muscles. Good luck.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Good friend has it, takes some meds 4 x daily for symptoms. Keep active as long as possible. Don't get frustrated! He got fast tracked with the VA due to A.O. exposure in Nam.
    Last edited by popper; 10-30-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I would suggest a VERY GOOD Naturopathic Physician. Many times these folks have treatment ideas that can be quite beneficial to those that the regular medical community is unable to help - Dietary modifications, supplements and other modalities depending upon your unique expression of Parkinsons and any other underlying conditions which may be contributing to illness
    Being human is not for sissies.

I feel you pain brother, I suffer from neuropothy in my hands and feet, making great difficulty walking or gripping a handgun, but while there is breath there is hope.

God Bless and keep you safe!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2003 and passed away in 2015. He went through several doctors and clinics before he found real help. Nothing yet will cure Parkinsons but the right therapy can slow the progression. I wish you the best.

BB

Banned
    Three years ago Nov.6th I lost my wife to Parkinson's. Life has not been the same since she left. She had early onset and passed away at age 68. She was at the point where medication could offer nothing more, so she decided to have the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery. That went well, getting the device calibrated to her was a struggle that we never completely achieved.

As the symptoms progressed falling was her greatest issue. The DBS stopped all her falls for 11 months, then she fell down the basement stairs face first. She never woke-up from that.
    There are several exercise programs that can help, but there is nothing long term that makes a real difference. Even the meds can cause issues. Read the paperwork for all of them to learn the side effects. One of them increased compulsion behavior in a major way. My wife was a shopper and we went shopping at least once a week to deal with her compulsion. Gambling is another issue to watch for.

Now, I still have her U-Step walker and electric wheelchair along with a transport chair she used. I would love to donate them to another Parkinson's person who needs them.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Not sure if a diet change will help
    https://forum.parkinson.org/topic/22411-plant-paradox/

https://www.michaeljfox.org/grant/di...insons-disease

I started the Plant paradox diet, to help with my early RA
    https://humanfoodbar.com/plant-parad...tin-free-diet/

I am only 3-4 weeks in to the diet, Have lost about 5 lb and have not taken a pain pill in 3 weeks ( only took on bad days) Ankle pain

Ankle pain and I work retail .. always walking/ standing

Bought a Air frier and a Instapot ....

Miss..... French fries and potato chips the most ... but the pain level is down for me .... diet is supposed to help with a lot of problems

Favorit dish so far is cauliflower Pizza ......Gluten free 9/10

Gluten free Pancakes ... 8/10

making Sweet potato fries 9/10

Boolit Master
    There is no clear proof that aluminum exposure could lead to Parkinson

But I would not be cooking My Food in aluminum pots and Pans...... Switch to Stainless steel and Cast Iron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    Anyone have anything or idea to help slow it down?
    I am seeing a neurologists but they can only treat the simptoms.
    They say that nothing can even slow it.
    At this point I might try anything.
    Dave,
    Everyone is different. "When you've seen one Parkinson's patient you've seen one Parkinson's patient". Saying the disease process can't be slowed isn't totally accurate. See if there is a support group in your area. Maybe someone there can point you to a different doctor.

Exercise is good. Any kind. Look into "Rock Steady Boxing" for a program to try out.
    Find that support group. Continue to socialize, don't isolate yourself. A positive attitude goes a long way.

Boolit Grand Master

Investigate stem cell therapy. It and the deep brain stimulation are the only known effective treatments as far as I know. Exercise programs aim at teaching other parts of the brain to pick up the functioning of the cells that are dying. The brain is plastic enough for this to work, but it is work.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

There has been some study on medical marijuana helping the symptoms. Not sure where you live it is legal but don't rule it out.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

CBD oil (prescription) if legal in your area. Doesn't get you high but greatly reduces symptoms and has been known to cure a variety of other diseases.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your ideas
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

I have no medical or therapy advise to give, but be assured of my ongoing prayers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Watched my father in law struggle with it for years and succumb a couple years ago. Stay positive, talk to the docs, and get exercise that will help retain body mass and balance. Eat a lot. It was tough for FIL to avoid losing body mass. On the plus side, a lot of times Parkinson's is slow moving. If that is the case for you, get out and do the stuff you want to do while you can.

You will be in my prayers.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast