MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too dumb to kill

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    R,

Thanks very much for seriously making my day,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Load shell with some rock salt to teach her a lesson...add some pepper and it will be preseasoned for next year!
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Great post.

Boolit Master
    Around here you get kicked out of the hunt club or the very least your shirt tail cut. Glad to say my wardrobe is intact but I have to buy Nightforce.

Eh, I am not that picky about deer size as long as it is adult, a clean kill, and legal. I like venison, I like being in the woods and hunting, and I am the only one in the family that eats venison, so I don't need a monster to drag home.

However, I am amazed at how dumb the deer can be. Multiple times while small game hunting I have had deer walk straight toward me until I shooed them off. The one I shot this year I accidentally bumped and watched her scoot to 100+ yards away. Since I froze and the wind was in my favor, she slowly worked her way back toward me either out of curiosity or to get back to whatever she had been eating. Let her get to 50 yards and sent a .54 round ball her way. Good thing this one wasn't big because I have to haul her across the river by myself to get ack to the truck.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I think I'd pass & let him grow up too.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Banned

I wouldn't kill him either. Last year on opening day of the rifle season, I had a young doe come in close ad hang around half an hour completely unaware I was there. I had at least two hours of day light to recover her, we kind of needed the meat, it was a gimme shot and I still let her walk. Don't regret it either, I just didn't feel like killing her at that time. My rational side said I should, but I just enjoyed watching her for a while.

Gomer Pyle was not actually dumb you know. Can you get a truck to start running by kicking its tire or whacking it with a wrench? Arthur Fonzarelli was similarly adept with machines.

This deer here just seems like a typical dumb fawn. It isn't even worth shooting as it is so small. I cringe when people bring in such deer to process and feel like I'm cheating them.

The sad truth is that Gomer will probably die from something else: a less thoughtful "hunter," a car, or simple starvation, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    My uncle owns property with 150 avocado trees behind his house. Deer always come in to eat from the trees. With the wind blowing and trees leaves making noise you can walk up the driveway to about 25 yards. Not much sport in that. I think the OP is a Sportsman!

I meat hunt near the end of the season and mostly like young does. I wait so the fawns can have the benefit of moms wisdom as long as possible. Plus it gives me more time in the field, same reason I hunt horns.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    My uncle owns property with 150 avocado trees behind his house. Deer always come in to eat from the trees. With the wind blowing and trees leaves making noise you can walk up the driveway to about 25 yards. Not much sport in that. I think the OP is a Sportsman!
    How does the venison taste from a deer who's been eating a lot of avocados?

Boolit Buddy
    Had a pair of fawns that liked to bed in the back yard last year. They'd stay most of the day and towards evening mom would show up to check on them and feed them. One day I was sighting in a rifle on my backyard range. The sight path is along one side of a big willow tree, as I walked downrange to check the target I looked on the other side of the willow and there were the fawns, completely unconcerned. Come the January doe season I was needing a full sized doe to finish filling the freezer, but told the wife if that doe is gonna raise them that dumb I'm gonna let her keep doing it.

Banned

We live out in the sticks for about four years now and have had a doe with twins or triplets every year. Nice to watch them grow up.

Two years ago, the wife and I were leaving to go into towna d almost hit a small fawn, his spots were gone by then, so must have been September or so. Anyway, we stopped and made our way around him, he didn't want to move out of the lane. Spent an hour or so in town and came back and he was still there milling around, seemed confused. It dawned on me later that maybe mama had been hit and killed by a car and he genuinely was confused.

Anyway, a few weeks went by and one after noon I'm out in the yard shooting on my 100 yard range actually zeroing a rifle for the upcoming October pre-rut weekend. There stands a fawn, forty yards from my bench browsing in tall grass. I stopped and talked to him, then went back to what I was doing, he clearly wasn't one of the ones we knew, they always showed up together and their mama was usually close.

He hung around about an hour, even with me shooting and stopping to talk to him now and then. He didn't leave until I let the dog out and even then, didn't run off, just kind of left. I'm pretty sure he was that little orphan we had seen out on Highway 40 a couple of weeks earlier. I sure hope he survived the season, I wasn't going to hunt on my place, and wouldn't have shot one that young even though he was legal. I actually felt kind of sorry for him, but if he stayed close, he would be OK. No idea what became of him.

I have a sneaky feeling, that Gomer will end up in a Pyle.
    ( c’mon , you know that was funny ! )

They can be oblivious.

At Quantico we were on the rifle range for our annual requalification and a deer walked out onto the range.
    There was 50 shooters on the relay all blazing away, and it just wandered out there.

The rangemaster immediately called a cease fire as 50 M-16 barrels swiveled over to it.

He didn't really need the PA speaker to be heard saying, "Anybody that shoots that deer will go to JAIL"!!

It stayed there walking & eating. Finally a range coach drove down and ran it off.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-15-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Take some apples with you. Keep it around for a year or two.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Some deer are dumb enough to kill theirselves. My hunting partners and I were driving back from our stands in our ATVs one night. A button buck ran across the Pasture Road in front of us at full speed, then he crashed into a 6 inch steel corner post with his face. He was dead right there so we consulted the hunting manual on how to tag him, which was antlerless, then I put a 38 bullet in his neck and took him to the processor. Those back straps were melt-in-your-mouth good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Fashion a dress on lil’ Gohmer and he can draw in some bigger bucks for you!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Let him walk Thumbsocker. And don't worry about his IQ being low. After the season, he will hang out with some upper classmen that will educate him and coach him up to the point that you will have a proper challenge in front of you, so much so that your excursions in the field will be a real hunt instead of a shoot.

Now, after all that high minded B.S., pick out a fat doe and stick an arrow in her!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12