Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too dumb to kill

Too dumb to kill

This is Gomer. On 2 separate occa6i have gotten close enough to arrow him. I cant call it stalking because all I did was walk towards him while his head was down and the wind was right. Last night Gomer was contentedly munching in front of the ground blind and wandered into the woods as I walked up. Gomer is almost certainly a button buck. I'm pretty sure I have seen his mom and sisters in the same field. Gomer has been kicked out while the females look for romance. Gomer looks like he wants a friend. Gomer is small and could probably be carried out with one hand after field dressing.

I just can't bring myself to put an arrow in Gomer. It would be like murder to me. Now before you all get to thinking that Ole Thumbcocker has gone vegan tree hugger I have a cunning plan. I let Gomer grow and breed. In a few years I will have a woods full of dumb deer. It will be like going to the meat counter when I step into the woods. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Works for me. I believe ya...

USMC 77, USRA 79

lol.... you'lllllll be sorrrrryyyyyyyyy... skin, gut, fold thier legs up and the whole thing fits into a roasting pan.. sumthin else is gunna eat that dummy.. might as well be you.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Yep I'm with Marko on this one,does anybody else hunt that land?or within a mile of there?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

The deer in my front yard are so tame you can walk as close as 5' and they don't care, they've become yard dogs....

Boolit Grand Master
    ya did the rite thing
    thinking ahead thats good
    you don't get big deer by shooting the yearlings
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

My idea of trophy deer

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    My idea of trophy deer

Ditto! hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy

Nah, let him live and get bigger.

Banned
    I got one that uses the cow feeder on the back neighbors field she eats her fill and walks down the tree line past my place still a yearling but if she keeps eating like that in no time that will be a big fat one.

Sounds like you have a great plan for the future that will allow you some easy hunts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Last season I walked to within 60 yards of a 4 point in an open area . Dumb little guy. 8 or better is our rule so he was safe. We have guys in the area that will shoot fawns, so I doubt he survived. .
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Gomer is the best deer decoy you can have.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

If he is not at least a fork horn next year; it will be time to end your friendship with a bullet. And a frying pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Not sure I agree with y'all. Towards the end of the season, with no venison in the freezer, it would be groceries...…..…….robin

Deer veal, pull the trigger. You let him live and he may take the radiator out of your vehicle.

BB

Boolit Master
    Your hunt, your decisions.

There are many times I have passed on deer for one reason or another. Sometimes due to our having a legal buck being at least 4 points to a side & at least 7 points 1" or longer, and have a forkhorn come up to my oldest son & me within 10 feet with us holding shotguns while he had does on his mind since he was "occupied" with breeding & not predators. Neither of us shot, but just shooed him off. He actually acted like he did not want toleave at first, but then he got the message that we did not want him around us to tempt us into doing something we shouldn't do.

Just last year I could have shot at 5-6 deer all together feeding, & I stalked up on to within 30 yds while they were feeding, using the brush, trees & wind to my advantage & only moving when all were head down feeding, & then watched them bed down across the little field about 50 yds away & they never knew I was there watching them, but I decided that I would wait instead. Then walking out, returning to my rig, I see a 10 pointer broadside to me at less than 60 yds, not knowing I was getting closer, and I just watched him & then whistled to get him to run off before I shot him. It was all about the "hunt" & not the "shooting" or "killing", and all my own decisions.

Others likely would have done differently, but I did what "I" wanted to do & not what others would want me to do. I did what I did, Just because I could.

I love hunting & love the meat, but I also like that I don't have to shoot to make food for the table if I don't want to do so. I have killed a lot of deer since I started I enjoy it more when I see someone else, like moy sons take one rather than me & then I just help out. I am waiting patiently for my grandsons to be old enough to hunt so I can go with them as well.

Oh well. Just me rambling & such...

Like I said.

Your Hunt, your decisions.

Be safe & legal & enjoy it while ya can! G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with your plan. Let him grow and reproduce, then go "shopping" later!

USMC 77, USRA 79

i guess you guys must not have other deer predators there besides humans... a dumm deer becomes bear food around here, or wolf food, or just about anything food... so I can see not wanting to shoot him.. around here, he would be in the roasting pan...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I'd leave it for next year.
    Sort of a redneck version of genetic engineering.

In the mean time, he's about the best decoy you'll ever find.

I don't hunt any more, but if I got invited on a trip, it'd be a reason to buy a really good camera.
    This fella was out in the front yard last week- The neighbors think its their pet.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast