Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 9MM Question

Boolit Grand Master

Another 9MM Question

For you guys that cast for multiple 9mm pistols, what is a good diameter that would work with several different pistols? I'm thinking that casting a larger diameter and sizing down as necessary would be a good strategy. Something like .357 or .358? I'm looking at another Accurate mold, probably a 4 cavity aluminum one. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Each barrel is " unto its own " as to dimensions.
    With that said, all of my 9mm Luger pistols and carbines shoot a .357" real well. Clean bores and very accurate.

Ben

.358 for me
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

.357 works for most. My Beretta barrels will shoot .357 ok but prefer .358. As others have said, each barrel makes it's own rules.

Boolit Buddy
    My new rule is if it doesnt feed my cast PCed .3575 its going to Doug for reaming. I do have one Taurus PT111 G2 which has a tight throat but I dont shoot that gun much so I left it for FMJs.

Boolit Master
    All of my 9 mm will also shoot .358 but my high point liked . 357. If I use .358 some times I have to hit the back of the slide to make it go in. So I only use .357 in that gun . My other nines are a Bretta 92 and a few stars BM. That’s probably why they like .358

Boolit Master
    Also the noe expander plugs with the lee universal expander comes in real handy loading oversized cast in 9mm. I have the auto pistole size one all the way up to .356x360 for 38 they do help

Boolit Grand Master

I have three 9mm pistols I cast for. Two newer, modern manufactured and one Tokerev 9mm. The newer guns shoot well with my Lee 125 gr NFP sized to .357" and the Tokerev needs .359" to shoot without leading and accurately. But you gotta know what the barrel's bore/groove diameter is...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    .358 has worked for all my 9s. Once the CZ gets dirty, sometimes you have to tap the back of the slide. 3 Glocks, one Walther, and a Springfield, no issues.

Moderator Emeritus

I size 'em to .357

BUT, I did have a friend's Browning Hi-Power (1980s vintage), that wouldn't reliably cycle 'em that large...but .356 worked well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I used to run 0.357" in all my 9mm but a couple have tight chambers so I went back to 0.356", still no issues with accuracy. Get both sizing dies & try them out.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I stick with .357. .358 cause issues going into battery in some of my guns.

Boolit Master

.358 works for me in all my 9s. Smith, Springfield and Hi-point.

Boolit Master
    I've never had a problem with .358 in any of several 9MM's. But, agree with fredj338, try both .357 and .358 or you will always wonder.

I size to .358 and run a 18# spring to chamber reliably in S&W, CZ and Colt. And that way, I can shoot my 9mm bullets in my .357's and 38 special revolvers as well....

I have some that I size to ,356 and some others will take .358 Need to slug the gun and go from there .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys everyone. I have a half dozen 9mm pistols and realize the bore diameters will probably vary quite a bit. I'm looking for a diameter that can be either used as cast or sized down as necessary. It sounds like .358 is it.

Boolit Master

I have at least 6 that I shoot cast in, 358 works in all of them.

Boolit Master
    The looser guns like the larger bullets and the tighter ones don't seem to care in my collection of 9mm guns. I have successfully run .357/.358 diameter in all of them. If it will chamber and feed, party on! Me personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run the bigger bullets. Chamber tightness and feeding are probably the the biggest deciding factor.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Basically, what his boils down to is a choice that needs to be made to get one boolit size to work everywhere. That calls for the boolit to fit the gun with the largest groove diameter and to chamber in everything else that you have.
    .357 size barrels do their best with .358-.360. Smaller barrels sometimes have issues chambering boolits of .358 or larger. The first issue is a given. The second you can do something about by rechambering the pistol.
    Find the size needed for the largest groove diameter and adjust any chamber that doesn't accept that size to make it work.
    No other options unless you got lucky and that boolit will chamber in all your guns.
    If so, you are home free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast