Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What powder do y'all load 10mm?

What powder do y'all load 10mm?

It looks like you can get 1200 or so fps out of a 180 grain boolit with a few powders.
    There's a load for Blue Dot, AA #9, AA #7 and even a 1100 fps load using Unique...

My plan is to test with Blue Dot and AA #9. But does anyone like a particular powder?

The boolit I want to use is this one (Accurate 40-180H with no lube grove):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40_cal_for_10mm.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	250665

I'm also shooting it in a Ruger GP 100, so the gun is strong and will handle heavy loads...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Yes for power loads i like blue dot. Target loads i been using sport pistol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I don't load 10mm,
    but for lower speed, cast handgun- 9mm, .38, .44, and .45 target loads, I always find myself gravitating back to Unique.
    Just a wild guess, but it might do a good job with cast for you too.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-04-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I am loading the Lee 401-175-TC using AA#5. Seems to be a very accurate combination in all of my 10's. I do like AA#9 as well. You can get a bit more velocity from #9 but it takes more of it. Last gun show I went to I ran across a deal on Accurate Arms. I bought 8 pounds of #5 and a pound of #9 at $15/lb so I bought the whole lot. I will be loading 10mm with the #5 and using the #9 for 357 Sig.

I am getting about 1075 fps from my XDM 4.5" and 1125 fps from my 8" Banshee with #5.

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I am loading the Lee 401-175-TC using AA#5. Seems to be a very accurate combination in all of my 10's. I do like AA#9 as well. You can get a bit more velocity from #9 but it takes more of it. Last gun show I went to I ran across a deal on Accurate Arms. I bought 8 pounds of #5 and a pound of #9 at $15/lb so I bought the whole lot. I will be loading 10mm with the #5 and using the #9 for 357 Sig.

I am getting about 1075 fps from my XDM 4.5" and 1125 fps from my 8" Banshee with #5.
    I didn't like loading #9 in 357 sig because the loads were compressed and I was having a hard time getting neck tension on my boolit... So I shoot #7 in 357 sig...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I didn't like loading #9 in 357 sig because the loads were compressed and I was having a hard time getting neck tension on my boolit... So I shoot #7 in 357 sig...
    I think I load 13 grains with the 125 grain bullet and it comes right up to the case neck. Good velocity and accuracy and it will get your attention when it goes off. I size to .3575" and crimp my loads with a Lee FCD. I have not had any problem with case neck tension. I watched this very closely during load development since that is so critical with 357 Sig.
    Last edited by scotner; 11-04-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I think I load 13 grains with the 125 grain bullet and it comes right up to the case neck. Good velocity and accuracy and it will get your attention when it goes off. I size to .3575" and crimp my loads with a Lee FCD. I have not had any problem with case neck tension. I watched this very closely during load development since that is so critical with 357 Sig.
    My accurate load with .357 sig was a 125 grain GC boolit with 12.5 grain of AA #9. But that was a compressed load and I had a hard time keeping the COL right... It was just easier with about 10.2 grain of AA #7 which is not a full case.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Accurate No. 9 is my favorite 10mm powder for full power loads, followed by Blue Dot, then Longshot.

No. 9 has worked very well with cast bullets. Yes, 1200 fps with a 180 is approachable. In fact, my 200 gr pet loads exceed 1200 fps without indications of pressure issues.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 11-04-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Blue Dot for hot and accurate loads. You can run hotter with Long Shot, but I lose accuracy. Uinversal or Unique for range ammo.
    Last edited by sparkyv; 11-04-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Corrected powder list.

Boolit Master

Top powder for the 10MM are Bluedot and 800X

#7, Power Pistol & Longshot work well for
    Mid velocity.

Lo velocity was HS6 & Unique.

Sure there is cross overs as well as others that work just fine. But I like these and in this order.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    For heavy hitting loads I like #9 but I dont shoot those much. Most of the time I shoot mid loads using HS6, Power Pistol, WSF or even Vectan A0.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    AutoComp or Power Pistol.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've used Accurate #9 and Longshot with good results, but now I'm mostly using the Shooters World powders, Major and Heavy Pistol. I'm also trying out Ultimate Pistol for some subsonic loadings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

New to the 10mm, started with a pound of donated Power Pistol. It’s working very well in bubba’s G40 longslide so we’ll use all that up before trying- probably Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Power pistol or 800x. 800x is a pain to meter but you can get great performance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    New to the 10mm, started with a pound of donated Power Pistol. It’s working very well in bubba’s G40 longslide so we’ll use all that up before trying- probably Unique.
    Unique does work well for the "10mm light" or "FBI Loads", AKA reduced 10mm loads. Even better is WSF for that application. A bit cleaner and more consistent though the powder measure.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Just finished some .357 SIG with AA #7, now moving to 10mm and the NOE 403-200 WFN. I plan to use either the #7 or some 800x I have kicking around. Both should do nicely. I enjoy the hotter autoloaders, and these two have great accuracy potential as well.
    -BE

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    5 grains of Bullseye is the "10mm Light" load with 180-grain bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I loaded up a couple ladders of AA#9 and Blue Dot. I'll get a chance to get the chrono out this Saturday.
    WWG1WGA

Blue dot, 800x and unique are my go to's for hot loads. Power pistol I hear is Good

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast