RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best mold for heavy 45 LC rifle load

Boolit Buddy
    I have the original H&G 501, The Elmer Keiths design 255 gr swc . It is an exceptional accurate design . I have found great favor with the LEE 255 RNFP as well . Those 2 designs do all I need . They both feed in my Rossi 45 Colt model 92 . Regards Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    I have the original H&G 501, The Elmer Keiths design 255 gr swc . It is an exceptional accurate design . I have found great favor with the LEE 255 RNFP as well . Those 2 designs do all I need . They both feed in my Rossi 45 Colt model 92 . Regards Paul
    Empty cases feed in my Rossi 45 Colt!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Empty cases feed in my Rossi 45 Colt!!
    Well the design featuring a large chamber near the rim helps. So far other than being a little picky about overall length with SWC designs everything feeds in my Rossi also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    Well the design featuring a large chamber near the rim helps. So far other than being a little picky about overall length with SWC designs everything feeds in my Rossi also.
    . Aint this Winchester 1892 design awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    . Aint this Winchester 1892 design awesome!
    Yep so was the 1886. Pretty heavy rifles though. Still If I were to run onto a reasonably priced 1886 I might bite.

My Marlin 94 really likes the MP 454640 CB's. Depending on the pins they can range anywhere from 260-290gr with range scrap. The Penta HP gets me a 261 grainer and solid pin gives be about a 290 grainer. They shoot extremely accuratly. I have yet to try it on game.

Boolit Master

I just received the MP 45–2 70 SAA mold and it cast beautifully. I've had the RCBS for a while but always wanted the hollowpoint version since receiving a bag of them from somebody here on the board to test. Just beautiful bullets. The MP is just a tad bigger than the RCBS because it's big Hollow point in my clip on wheel weigh. Allway comes in at about 268 grains. And of course the smaller hollowpoint is a little heavier and the solid is a little heavier yet where with the RCBS mold the same alloy runs about 272 or 273 grains. Last month I bought the MP four 54–308 mold and I'm liking that a lot as well. It's very close looking to this 270g bullet.

Boolit Master
    Post #61 said it all for me. Not much need in more weight when penetration is so good at pistol velocities. Now put those 250-260 projectiles at carbine or rifle velocities and it gets even better. -06

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have a giant pile of the Lee .452, 300 grain flat noses all casted up, powder coated, and hornady gas checked. They are color-coded in one green increments and ready for action. I used them in my 450 bushmaster. I’d be interested in selling or swapping some since they’re more than I’ll ever use. They’re around 15/16 BH. I was getting MOA accuracy with them pushed hard (2,200 to 2650 fps) out of the American.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Elmer Keith years ago used .45-90 300gr bullets sized down in his .45 Colt. I think he was using black powder. It might work for a modern steel rifle?
    But he eventually ruined the gun he shot it in.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I have a 16 inch barreled Rossi M92 clone And I am looking for information on the heavier cast bullets that will function in this rifle. I have a LEE mold that makes a 255 gr, RF style bullet but it seems to be a pretty short bullet design though nose shape is acceptable. The rifle will feed Keith style bullets. Would like a bullet in the 290 to 320 grain weight range. Prefer a flat based design.
    I use the 454424 version of the Keith bullet from an original Ideal mold and the RCBS 45 -270 - SAA mold . One is an actual original Keith bullet and the other is a heavier RCBS copy of the Keith style. That's about as heavy as I see any need for. If a heavier bullet is needed I use a 45-70 Marlin instead.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345