Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best mold for heavy 45 LC rifle load

Boolit Grand Master

45-270-SAA for me.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I had great success with the Lee 255RF in both my Winchester M95 Trapper and my short-barreled Ruger BH. Too, the 300 LFN bullet gave a higher-power load in both, although feeding could be a challenging in the M94.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the RCBS 45-270-SAA here. Your Rossi 92 should be able to handle "Ruger" level loads just fine, but it's interesting that you found leading near the muzzle with your 14 gr. Blue Dot load, and dropping the load some fixed that. I wonder if the specific lube you had on those bullets had deteriorated since the time you cast them back in the 1970s? I'm assuming you lubed them back then, but if you lubed them recently, then maybe try a different lube?

Maybe there's really nothing to "fix" though--the load you settled on sounds like it has plenty of penetration at 75 yards and is accurate.

When I lived in Alaska I loaded this bullet in my 94 Winchester .45 Colt, and used the same bullet in my Ruger Blackhawk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90373-01.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	251372

It is the Lee 457 340. This bullet was used in developing some of the early heavy .45 Colt loads for the Blackhawk. It shot well in my Winchester.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry pressure tested this load for me to use in my Ruger Blackhawk and H&R Handi Rifle.

I've been very satisfied.

Attachment 251403Attachment 251405

Slightly exceeds SAAMI MAP for .45 Colt, at 17,400 psi, but well within design limits for modern Colt Clones, Colt New Service M1909 and similar sturdy pre-WW2 smokeless frames.

No issues for Ruger New Model Vaquero, etc.

960 fps for 295-grain bullet with 7.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye from 10-inch Contender.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Well I concentrated on deer hunting and took three but only one with the cast load from my Rossi. A high shoulder hit dropped a 100 pound doe in her tracks and exited leaving a 1 inch hole. The bullet went through both shoulder blades on the thin end, the spine and out the other side. Pretty clean wound channel a bit over 1 inch in diameter that really didn't change much going through the spine. I also kept this rifle handy in the cab of the truck but no targets of opportunity came around. However hog hunting in earnest begins again.

The lube which I can't remember who made is red and I don't like it much could be the problem. But still I think I can get away with shooting them up.

Did you size the bullet down or leave it as cast?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    Did you size the bullet down or leave it as cast?
    As-cast and unsized, 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals, Lee Liquid Alox.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I have a 16 inch barreled Rossi M92 clone And I am looking for information on the heavier cast bullets that will function in this rifle. I have a LEE mold that makes a 255 gr, RF style bullet but it seems to be a pretty short bullet design though nose shape is acceptable. The rifle will feed Keith style bullets. Would like a bullet in the 290 to 320 grain weight range. Prefer a flat based design.
    A couple problems with your Rossi M92; first is the 1:30" twist as already mentioned. I had a Rossi M92 rifle (24" barrel) and even with the longer barrel found the heavier Lee 300 gr bullet did not stabilize adequately for best accuracy across the ranges I intended to use the rifle, especially with SAAMI spec loads safe in my Uberti SAAs. Pushing it harder to top end loads it shot reasonably well, at least to 100 yards.

Pushing it at top end Ruger loads could lead potentially to the 2nd problem; the magazine tube was only held in with the barrel band/screw. Under the heavier recoil of several Ruger level loads the magazine tube would walk out and failure to feed would result necessitating disassembly to clear. Rossi solved this problem in heavier recoiling M92s [the 454 Casulls and 44 Magnums(?)] by threading the tube into the receiver. Apparently some don't have this problem but I did. You might check to see if the tube on yours is threaded.

Honestly I think you'll find top end loads such as mentioned by Outpost and tested by me or one of Unique under your 255 lee bullet at 1050 - 1150 fps will shoot quite well and give all the terminal ballistics needed for the pigs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

It is always something. I feel 270 grains is heavy enough and the speed I am getting with 13.0 grains of Blue Dot seems fast enough. I still have at least three hundred of the 270 gr. bullets so I am good for the summer.

Boolit Buddy
    I had Verl Smith spin me up a 280 gr (drops at 283-285) WFN mold several years back. That air cooled bullet has now been shot accurately in four different guns. Two Ruger Bisley 45 Colts; 3.75" and 5-1/2", a 20" Winchester 1892 and a Taylor (Uberti) 1873. The 3 modern guns all get the same 23 grs of H110, Fed 155 primer in Starline cases. Velocities run 1094, 1152 and 1546, respectively. In the 1873 I run 9.5 gr (SAAMI lower pressures) of Longshot for 1174 fps. So far, only the 1873 has harvested a game animal and that being a mule deer doe at 102 yds and it was quite effective. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 Colt 283 LBT WFN .jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	260172

Boolit Master
    My Henry 45 LC in the Original rifle is a 1:16 twist so I absolutely intend to shoot the 310 WFN in that rifle cast 90% plumbers lead and some tin and some Linotype mixed in. That rifle is the original style action so 14k loads is all I can use but it should stabilize just fine. That will be my deer hunting rifle this fall.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Elmer Keith years ago used .45-90 300gr bullets sized down in his .45 Colt. I think he was using black powder. It might work for a modern steel rifle?

He did, he also decided it was not a good idea after he had a Colt come apart on him while using that bullet . That is when he started working on his line of bullets sold originally by Ideal and now copied by everybody else . In between there was a heavy bullet he had Belding & Mull make the mold for . It was something like the .38 200 gr or the old round nosed .41 bullet . He said it killed well but was only accurate at short range .

Not sure what you are shooting at in Texas now days but if my rifle worked with the Keith bullet that is what I would feed it . If I felt I needed a heavier bullet I would use the 270 version from RCBS . I can't think of a reason to go heavier for anything normally found where you live . The .45 Colt is a great killer at short range but anything over 75 yards to me is not short so that is as far as I am willing to shoot anything with it and at that distance his bullet with the load he developed for it will do all that the cartridge should be expected to do . If I wanted to stretch the distance a hair I would try working up a load with a somewhat lighter bullet to get a hair more speed .

Just my opinion and it's worth just exactly what you paid for it .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Rickt300, you need firepower, at that range an ar with any soft point will thin the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSP View Post
    I had Verl Smith spin me up a 280 gr (drops at 283-285) WFN mold several years back. That air cooled bullet has now been shot accurately in four different guns. Two Ruger Bisley 45 Colts; 3.75" and 5-1/2", a 20" Winchester 1892 and a Taylor (Uberti) 1873. The 3 modern guns all get the same 23 grs of H110, Fed 155 primer in Starline cases. Velocities run 1094, 1152 and 1546, respectively. In the 1873 I run 9.5 gr (SAAMI lower pressures) of Longshot for 1174 fps. So far, only the 1873 has harvested a game animal and that being a mule deer doe at 102 yds and it was quite effective. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 Colt 283 LBT WFN .jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	260172
    Drool... is Veral still making molds?

Years ago... the best and the greatest minds here at CB wanted to recreate Elmers Genius and came up with a Heavy 45 Kieth both rifle and pistol. This bullet is a performer, specially with Plain Base checks.

I only wish I owned the 44 cal version now as well.

The group buy was drug in by a character named Cat..

Name:	1Heavy Kieth 45.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	260410

Name:	2Heavy Kieth 45.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	260412

Boolit Master
    Does anyone on this site sell .44 and .45 plain base gas checks? GF

Boolit Master

I was worried about that Rossi Twist rate. But my RD 300g bullet shoots clover leafs at 50 yards. Open sites. I don’t see sights like I used to!!
    It’s doing just fine for me!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Does anyone on this site sell .44 and .45 plain base gas checks? GF
    Start powder coating. Ya won’t need a gas check till ya start shooting past 2000 FPS!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast