RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Any love for Ruger Bisley Blackhawk flattop, .44 special.

Boolit Master

Any love for Ruger Bisley Blackhawk flattop, .44 special.

I believe this is about my first post here, in many years. I am first and formost a rifelman, be it a benchrest, hunting rifle, or traditonal lever action, or Ky muzzleloading rife. I have made a good living as a gunsmith for the better part of 38 years, most of my business has been accurizing bolt rifles, and building custom rifles, along with refinishing them in hot blue or military parkerizing. I have did a lot of pistol smithing over the years, and am known as a pretty good shot with a handgun. This was due to wearing out a couple of S&W model 66's, literally shooting the throat out of them while in my early 20's. I bought bullets by the thousand and powder by the #5 and #8 keg, primers by the thousand. I have shot either a hangun, or rifle, or both, for 5-6 days a week the last 40 years. Most of the handguns I have, is a single action Ruger, which fits my small hands well.

I traded for this wheelgun around the first of September, which coincides with our bow deer season opener. I shot it a little and put it up, too many irons in the fire. With 4 deer in the freezer, and the pressure off, I gave it some TLC a couple of weeks ago, took it all apart, deburred a couple of places and polish all the parts, and put a custom spring kit in it. What a difference, just a hint of takeup when the the trigger is pulled, and the trigger is about #2.5. The action is butter smooth, and after shooting around 100 rounds, it is dialed in. It has a 5.5 inch barrel, and the Bisley grip is fast growing on me. It is probably going to be my new truck/4 wheeler handgun. And I have to say, I was late to the game on the .44 special round. I remember all the glowing reports of .44 special accuracy by Skeeter Skelton and other pistoleros of yesteryear, and always thought if you have a magnum, .357 or .44, then you needed to shoot a magnum, hence why I never loved a .44 mag. It is mainly my fault, I have small hands, and to get a .44 mag to fit my hands, it usually had to have slimmed down grips, which don't lead to good gunhandling with a magnum round. After 35+years of handgunning, on a regular basis, a couple of my good buddies, are .44mag nuts, and shoot a load between .44 special, and full magnum loads. These are snappy loads, but not abusive, and the first ones I tried in the Bisley, well it liked them both. Old dogs can learn new tricks, it seems. It may never replace the .357 mag/.38 special as my favorite revolver load, but it is going to run it a very close 2nd.

Boolit Master
    Nice. I ought to have gotten one by now, but i haven't yet. But it is on my list.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are referring to the Lipsey Special, then I can honestly say that I love the crap out of it! I put my order in when they first came out and never regretted it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I believe this is about my first post here, in many years. I am first and formost a rifelman, be it a benchrest, hunting rifle, or traditonal lever action, or Ky muzzleloading rife. I have made a good living as a gunsmith for the better part of 38 years, most of my business has been accurizing bolt rifles, and building custom rifles, along with refinishing them in hot blue or military parkerizing. I have did a lot of pistol smithing over the years, and am known as a pretty good shot with a handgun. This was due to wearing out a couple of S&W model 66's, literally shooting the throat out of them while in my early 20's. I bought bullets by the thousand and powder by the #5 and #8 keg, primers by the thousand. I have shot either a hangun, or rifle, or both, for 5-6 days a week the last 40 years. Most of the handguns I have, is a single action Ruger, which fits my small hands well.

I traded for this wheelgun around the first of September, which coincides with our bow deer season opener. I shot it a little and put it up, too many irons in the fire. With 4 deer in the freezer, and the pressure off, I gave it some TLC a couple of weeks ago, took it all apart, deburred a couple of places and polish all the parts, and put a custom spring kit in it. What a difference, just a hint of takeup when the the trigger is pulled, and the trigger is about #2.5. The action is butter smooth, and after shooting around 100 rounds, it is dialed in. It has a 5.5 inch barrel, and the Bisley grip is fast growing on me. It is probably going to be my new truck/4 wheeler handgun. And I have to say, I was late to the game on the .44 special round. I remember all the glowing reports of .44 special accuracy by Skeeter Skelton and other pistoleros of yesteryear, and always thought if you have a magnum, .357 or .44, then you needed to shoot a magnum, hence why I never loved a .44 mag. It is mainly my fault, I have small hands, and to get a .44 mag to fit my hands, it usually had to have slimmed down grips, which don't lead to good gunhandling with a magnum round. After 35+years of handgunning, on a regular basis, a couple of my good buddies, are .44mag nuts, and shoot a load between .44 special, and full magnum loads. These are snappy loads, but not abusive, and the first ones I tried in the Bisley, well it liked them both. Old dogs can learn new tricks, it seems. It may never replace the .357 mag/.38 special as my favorite revolver load, but it is going to run it a very close 2nd.
    I've got one waiting at a local shop. I'll probably pick it up on Friday, and I'm looking forward to working with it! Mine is a 5 1/2" model too, and to my eye that's the best looking barrel length. Did you replace the springs to get your action to 2.5 lbs?

Howard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I remember all the glowing reports of .44 special accuracy by Skeeter Skelton and other pistoleros of yesteryear, and always thought if you have a magnum, .357 or .44, then you needed to shoot a magnum, hence why I never loved a .44 mag. It is mainly my fault, I have small hands, and to get a .44 mag to fit my hands, it usually had to have slimmed down grips, which don't lead to good gunhandling with a magnum round. After 35+years of handgunning, on a regular basis, a couple of my good buddies, are .44mag nuts, and shoot a load between .44 special, and full magnum loads. These are snappy loads, but not abusive, and the first ones I tried in the Bisley, well it liked them both.
    Whether you get there by leaning on the 44 special or lightening up the 44 mag this is the load. This is what Elmer Keith envisioned and what we know as the 44 magnum was an over the top effort by Remington/S&W and their marketing departments.

Boolit Master
    These 44 flat tops were built right, not much you have to do other than a trigger job. I have 3 of them & all 3 have taken mule deer & white tails using the Keith bullets. If you shoot one very much you'll find out that you picked a winner for sure.

Dick

I just put a 20 oz trigger return spring in and polish all the bearing surfaces with a buffing wheel and flitz. The factory mainspring works fine.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I like my 41 Bisley. But the rear sight tends to walk sideways under recoil. I need to get that under control.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Love these too. Ive got the regular plow handle 44 flattop but Id love a bisley too. To me these guns are the perfect combination of power, size, and balance. Doesn't hurt that Ruger took the time to build most of them properly.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

.44 Special yes. Ruger Bisley not so much.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    45 colt Bisley, shoots great. Love it!

Boolit Bub
    Got one of the first Bisley .44 Specials to come out. I pack it all the time. Getting pretty blue worn. I'm sure I'll be worn out by the time it does.

Boolit Master
    I've had the Lipsey Stainless Ruger 4 1/2" New Model Blackhawk in 44 Special for a number of years. Best loas for it is a 240 grain Speer swaged SWC .430" on top of 6.8 grains of Unique. It is very accurate - course when I got it - I ordered a spring kit from Wilson - down about 3 pounds. It is my favorite shooter - running about 890 fps.

44 Special
    Unique and Win 231 .430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail
    Ruger Single Action Blackhawk

1. a. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    907, 875, 881, 899, 906 - average 890 fps
    1.b. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    796, 837, 786 - average 806 fps

2. a. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ½"
    900, 1011, 1005, 933 - average 962 fps