Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee water based sizing lube? Yuck

Boolit Master

Lee water based sizing lube? Yuck

Was given some tubes of this stuff, don't know how old it is.

Tried it on rifle brass, which turned green with verdegris the next day.

Anyone else try it?

Am thinking of tossing it...cone to think of it l better check my dies for rust!

Boolit Master

I have used it. Didn't like it on brass. However, it makes an excellent plastic polish. For all the plastic on plastic sliding parts of my Lee load all and Lee Drum Powder measure and perfect powder dropper, it really helps those and prevents powder leaks.

It also makes a good lube for paper jackets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    You're talking about the LEE sizing lube? That is what I use. I put the stuff into a small bottle, mix it 50/50 with water. I lay the dirty brass out on a shop towel and put a drop of the mix onto each brass case. I then smear it all around the case with my fingers, stand the brass on end and let them dry. THEN I go to work sizing and depriming. When that is done, I place the brass into the tumbler and run it for about 2 hours. Comes out nice and shiny.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee sizing lube all the time.

I have a small spray bottle, maybe 4 ounces. I squirt about an inch long strip of Lee lube in there, and fill it with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Shake shake shake. It dissolves, or at least goes in suspension.

Lay out the brass on an old cookie sheet. Spray three or four times, it dries in minutes. Size as usual. No need to clean it off.
    Works like a champ.

The lube will settle out after a while, but a few shakes mixes it back up. Cheap, very cheap lube that works.

Banned

I use Lee sizing lube straight from the tube. I have spread it on the cases with my fingers and let it dry, and I have spread it on the cases with my fingers and sized right away. It works well for me both ways, I tumble clean the brass after use and they come out clean and shiny.
    If you don't want it I'll PM my address and pay the shipping, send it to me.

Boolit Master
    I have used it also both ways. Dry or wet put on with my fingers and rolled on a pad in one of my old calipers cases. I think it’s some kind of thin foam material works good

Boolit Master
    I used the lee case lube for a few years along with the rcbs case lube on a pad to roll my brass on until I ran into some brass that wanted to fight back . A friend gave me a piece of can of imperial wax he had to try on my stubborn resizing no problems resizing since . For every day use I use a mixture ( from a kind member that recently passed away ) of 50/50 lanolin / Vaseline . Whatever you use don't forget to use it

All I use is Lee sizing lube for sizing all my brass. I mix one tube with 16oz of rubbing alcohol. Spray on, let dry and size. Never had any issues with it. Never has it tarnish brass or not come off easy.

Boolit Master
    I have read that it's synthetic wire pulling lube. I bought a quart size bottle of Klein's synthetic waterbased wire pulling lube for $8 works without an issue. No need to clean the cases or worry about powder contamination either.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used it since it first came out. Prefer it to the greasy STP type case lubes .
    Mix with denatured alcohol and apply with spray bottle .
    It has never turned any of my brass green with verdigris or caused rusting when applied straight out of the tube with finger tips or when mixed with denatured alcohol and sprayed on...don't know whats up with that .
    I like and continue to use the case lube because it's not greasy and can be removed easily.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I have used it for several things over the years, but seldom as case lube. 1) I have mixed it 1-4 with water to wet paper patches when wrapping. This gives the patch a light wax coating that makes it easier to handle and work with. 2) before the tumble lubes for bullets I used it as a bullet lube tumbling on for light velocity loads, worked pretty well here also. 3) It also works well as a releae agent for bedding and repairs. One nice thing is you can see where it is applied and its easy to remove when done.

I use it straight. Apply lightly with fingers. Size and deprime. Then use boiling hot water with dawn dish soap and a bit of vinegar to wash the cases. Rinse with boiling hot water. Spread out on a towel to dry.
    They come out clean and shiny enough.
    I've used STP as a lube, too messy. I have can of Imperial sizing wax. The Lee works about the same with the loading I do.
    I never thought about diluting it. I will have to try that. It should make a tube last longer.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    I'd swear that the Lee Sizing Lube is the same thing as the Keene's Working Hands lotion.....anybody else think about that? I like it on occasion, easy, cheap but there are better formulations out there.

Boolit Master
    Diluted with 91% rubbing alcohol it makes a great spray lube. It's not sticky like lanolin-based lubes and you don't have to worry about it contaminating powder or primers.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I gave up on it years ago in favor of Imperial Sizing Wax.
    Never looked back.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I worked for a large city department of water and power. All the electrician's trouble trucks had a 5 gallon bucket of white cable pulling lube. I could not tell the difference between that and the Lee case lube I used. IIRC the MSDS was the same or really close for the two. I "borrowed" a cup of the cable pulling lube and used it for quite a while for sizing rifle brass. Never turned my brass green (or any other color)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I'm another who uses it straight from the tube. Apply sparingly with fingers. Can resize immediately, or let it dry. Never turned my brass green. When finished, I usually wipe it off with a soft cloth.

Banned

The only thing I have ever noticed about it is that if I don't clean my full length sizing die once in a while it can build up slightly on the neck mandrel. But I just pull it, wipe it off with a rag and clean the inside of the die body and it's fine. The key is to follow the instructions and apply it very sparingly. I usually pick a day about once a year to clean my sizing dies all at the same time.

Banned

I used it quite a bit for a long time, straight from the tube, applied with fingertips. Never had a problem with it.

I use Mink Oil now, and lube inside case necks with graphite powder on a Q tip.

Boolit Master
    Did the cat pee in your bucket of brass? Hay just asking I have actually had that happen or I thank the cat did it . I had all prepped sized primed and ready to go and had the bucket in the closet. A lot on the bottom Turned all green. Only thing I could think of was the cat liked sleeping in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast