Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee water based sizing lube? Yuck

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I was given a tip by one of the member here........shoot a squirt of Lee case lube in an ammo can and add water. Mix well and use something like a French fry basket to dip a large number of cases at once. Drain and allow to dry.

Another idea.......one that I use mostly.........is a mixture of castor oil and alcohol. Spray, size then wipe clean. It works, but the wiping is tedious.

However, you learn something new on this forum all the time. I had NO idea that Lee lube was alcohol soluble! Since I have several "finger sprayers" I'm going to try the technique given above......mix with alcohol, shake and shoot. Let it dry and size.

You have to shake it a while to get it to mix with the alcohol but it mixes well. The closer to 100% alcohol the faster it will dry when sprayed on the brass.

I spray a little of the mix on shot I use to make .44mag shotshells. Its supposed to help prevent fouling from the lead going down the tube.

Boolit Grand Master
    It also works well as a tapping lubricant.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    "Am thinking of tossing it...cone to think of it l better check my dies for rust!" You should check your die as the lube is water soluable and may lead to rust if you don't clean your die. As a lube I have found it to be as good as Imperial and Hornady Unique and superior than the RCBS and Hornady sprays and for sure any mica case neck powder.

I remember that stuff from RCBS back in the late 70's. That stuff was bad. If the closed tube was any where near primers or powders it would ruin them. I like the LEE stuff.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I use the Lee sizing lube all the time.

I have a small spray bottle, maybe 4 ounces. I squirt about an inch long strip of Lee lube in there, and fill it with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Shake shake shake. It dissolves, or at least goes in suspension.

Lay out the brass on an old cookie sheet. Spray three or four times, it dries in minutes. Size as usual. No need to clean it off.
    Works like a champ.

The lube will settle out after a while, but a few shakes mixes it back up. Cheap, very cheap lube that works.
    I tried this and man I like it! My brother and I long ago used to use the RCBS stuff and hated it. Just a little bit of it would ruin a whole box of primers. The LEE stuff is so much better, and now even better once you add the Alcohol. Thanks for the info!.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Electrical cable pulling lube and Lee's case lube is a soft liquid soap, that's why it's soluble in water and alcohol. No need to wipe it off, neither powder nor primers are affected by dry soap.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Electrical cable pulling lube and Lee's case lube is a soft liquid soap, that's why it's soluble in water and alcohol. No need to wipe it off, neither powder nor primers are affected by dry soap.
    Hitting LIKE button .
    Dissolved in denatured alcohol and put in a little spray bottle , spritz on cases , let dry , size and no need to remove from case . After its dry and cases are handled during reloading ...it's gone .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I wonder if it is Ivory soap? Wouldn't that be a trip. Make your own! With 99.9% pure!

ACC

Boolit Master
    So actual use is much different from the label. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    So actual use is much different from the label. Thanks
    "Actual" use is different? Not really. What we're saying is there is more than one way it can be used.

Question: What's a good homemade case lube formula that will afterwards wash off off of the brass with either warm or warm soapy water?

Boolit Buddy
    i prefer the rcbs water soluble lube, unless i'm case forming, then i use imperial sizing wax. the RCBS is some kind of soap as well as a lubricant. because of that, it's water soluble, so i just wash the cases out in the sink after sizing, then spread them out on a towel in front of a floor fan. works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12