Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To get a Dillon SDB or XL750?

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Wrong. The RCBS primer strip system is, and it is now extinct.
    As long as you had new strips it was a very close #2. Certainly better than the systems they put on the pro chucker 5 & 7’s.

I did a case feeder on my Pro 2000 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I saw that you’re going to hold off and go for the 750 and I don’t disagree. I have a 550 that I bought in 1991 and a 650 that I bought in 2006 or ‘07. IMO you’re placing far too much emphasis on auto-indexing. Having used the 550 for nearly 30 years I can assure you that auto-indexing is really a non-event. It becomes second nature and I don’t give it any thought; it’s just automatic.
    Not Dillon specific, but it really does become automatic, I loaded shotgun on MEC 650's for years which are manual index with no problems. After 20+ years of MEC 650's I bought a 9000G which has auto-index and run it with the auto-index disconnected most of the time.

I also have a SDB for pistol and a 550 for rifle. I can move between them pretty easily.

One thing about Lee, their parts are often quite adaptable.

Boolit Master
    i have 2 dillon 650's

and a friend has 16 dedicated dillon 650's .....one for each caliber he shoots.

Boolit Bub
    My opinion is to go with the 750; I bought a 650 years ago at a price point I couldn't turn down (even though I owned a Hornady LNL at the time). Once I setup the 650, the Hornady (as much as I liked it) was on the market for sale. I would be curious to see how the 750's style of priming will compare to the 650's though. Anyway good luck.

Boolit Mold
    If I was going to get a Dillon I would go with the XL650. Most dealers are selling off what they have since the new 750 has come out. Around here several places have their 650's for $500. The 750 I believe is $649. I am thinking about buying a 650 just because of the price and I can leave my other press setup for loading one caliber.

I've had a 550B for years and it's served me well. I would advise you to get the 750XL because you can add on to it in years to come.
    I don't have buyer's remorse with the 550B, but I wish I could have some of the fancy upgrades that are only useful on the 650 or 750.
    Plus I'd like to crank out more per hour. Right now, with checking and boxing I can only get 400 per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    One thing about Lee, their parts are often quite adaptable.
    Yes, when things are the most basic they can be, they can be useful for many tasks.

Not unlike the “wheel” or a flat blade screwdriver (“prying thingy” to any one born after 1990...or ‘80’s?)

Prying, levering, chiseling, stirring paint and, of course, as a screwdriver. I keep a couple of old ones on my bench and use them for all sorts of things.

Boolit Buddy
    This past weekend where I shoot IDPA, the shop owner let me load a few 100 rounds of 9mm with my big .358 bullet on his 650, I use the same powder he does so it was rather easy to setup. We then compared my Loadmaster rounds to the 650 over the chrono and on paper at 25yds (with a bench rest) huge difference. The Dillon had a way more consistent OAL and powder drop, compared to the Loadmaster.

Then at work Monday a coworker approached me about doing some work. Took me about 8 hours to do on my day off yesterday. That combined with a bonus we just got, I ordered a basic XL750 and 9mm dies last night. Now it can’t get here fast enough.

Boolit Buddy

It arrived Monday, set it up and made 50 rounds pretty fast. I can foresee a case feeder being added. Tuesday, tested the rounds over the chrono and on paper at 15yds. Way more consistent loads than the Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    [IMG]I can foresee a case feeder being added.
    You mean boolit feeder?

Luckily, there are other, less expensive, options besides a Mr. Bullet Feeder. I'm still waffling on which way to go, but it's nice that there are other alternatives. I'm leaning toward the OpenBulletFeeder 3D printed option at this point, but I'll have to buy the parts pre-printed as I don't have a 3D printer.

Congratulations on your setup! FWIW, IMO you chose wisely.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Buddy
    The Dillion Auto Casefeeder, is what I was referencing. I still like to look in each case to make sure there is powder, before placing a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    The Dillion Auto Casefeeder, is what I was referencing. I still like to look in each case to make sure there is powder, before placing a bullet.
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize there wasn't a collator on your setup. I agree about looking at the powder prior to setting a boolit. A lot of guys have rigged little USB cameras that are pointed at the case in the boolit setting station, with the picture shown on an ipad or smartphone that is attached to the loader itself. Such an arrangement makes it much easier to see the powder charge, and also allows you to see the charge before the boolit setting (not "seating") die places the boolit on the case.

My current setup requires me to lean forward to peer into the case as I manually place a boolit. After five spine surgeries, this minor task has become major. I'll be adding the little camera setup even if I don't ever go with an automated boolit feeder of some sort. Those little Bluetooth or USB cameras are really cheap.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

If the OP is only loading 9mm and has budget limitations, he needs to go with the SD. loading a single, tiny caliber on a 750 is overkill for more than one reason.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    Nothing wrong with the SD. I had one for a lot of years. I sold it to buy a 750. The SD has a small working platform. As you get older, your hands aren't as nimble as they once were, you'll appreciate the larger working area of the 750 more. Then there are still the other benefits of the 750 over the SD.

Boolit Master
    I started with a SD, still have it and a pair of 650’s.

To the OP, nice looking setup, do start saving for the case collator, it drops right onto the press and is a nice add.

I added a Mr. Bullet feeder for my .223 loading, it’s expensive but works well. I just got in a mini mr. bullet feeder for 45acp, and preloading the tubes isn’t a big deal so think I’m gonna like it.

I confess that I’ve stopped looking into cases when loading with ball powders.

Boolit Master
    There's been a change on my bench since I posted in post #3. There is a brand new XL750 bolted on my bench. Just waiting for a small rifle case feeder disk to show up. I ran it loading the tube manually. I certainly know why that case feeder is there. Even loading brass by hand, it is faster than the SDB sitting next to it. One will be for rifle, the other for pistol.
    Happier that a hog in a mud hole!!!

Boolit Master

Glad to see you got a 550, that's what I wish I'd bought. Instead I bought a 650 with casefeeder, all the plates extra accessories, ect. Now, it sets idle because my shooting habits drastically changed (wifes health, ect) and I rarely shoot anymore.

1000 a month ?

XL650 / 750 for sure.

The square deal uses proprietary dies.

I use, Dillon, LEE, hornday, Lyman, Redding dies on my 550b and XL650

the case feeder is a must.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast