RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To get a Dillon SDB or XL750?

Boolit Buddy

To get a Dillon SDB or XL750?

I am sick of fighting my Lee Loadmaster. I spend more time trying to make it work than loading. I primarily shoot 9mm (1000 rounds a month). Really wanting something I can dedicate to 9mm, not have to fight and get good quality ammo for IDPA. Looking at a Square Deal B or XL750 (no optional stuff for now, can’t afford it). Thoughts?

My current process for 9mm is: lee universal decapper, SS wet tumble, hand prime, stage 1 Lee sizer (decapper removed), stage 2 Lyman m die, stage 3 Lee powder through with 3D printed micro disc, stage 4 Lee seating die, stage 5 Lee taper crimp.

Boolit Master
    If I was loading 12000 rounds a year of one caliber it would sure be nice to have the option of adding a case feeder at some point.
    And only you would know if you would be satisfied with a 4 station SDB , I would if I wanted a press dedicated to one caliber , but there are many ways to accomplish the reloading process and how we choose to budget our time and money in getting some ammo together .
    I look forward to seeing your choice and how it works for you.

Boolit Master
    I use the SDB to load several different rounds, and I am very happy with it. My deal is de-cap on a separate press, ss pin tumble, sometimes prime on an RCBS auto bench prime, but more often in the SDB. (44 mags get done on the RCBS bench prime),then do the rest on the SDB.
    I have a friend who loads on a 650, and have seen him have some minor issues with priming on the press. It seems to happen when there are only a few primers left in the machine.Another issue is if the press does not install the primer, it can make a mess, where the SDB just lets the primer sit in the cup. You can take a round out at any time without disrupting the process on any other station. If I want to run a single case thru, it is not a problem. Sometimes when setting up, I will run one case thru a station multiple times, as when setting the powder measure or seating or crimping depth. Changeovers are done quickly with very little fuss.
    On the 650, unless you have the case feeder and a bullet feeder. it looks to be a little awkward.
    I have not used the 750, but I understand that the primer feed has been changed from the 650. Maybe those changes have eliminated the issues that I saw with my friend's machine. His machine functions very well, so please don't think I'm down on it.
    Two drawbacks to the SDB machine: 1: dies are specific to that press and are a little on the expensive side considering I can't use those dies in a single stage or any other press. 2: You can't load bottleneck cases in the SDB, only pistol cases. If you are setting up for one pistol round and won't be using it for anything else, and if you are not going to put a case and bullet feeder on it, I would go with the SDB. If you will later use the feeders, or decide you want to do bottle-necked cases, the 650 or 750 would be a better deal.
    Those are strictly MY opinions and what I have decided for myself. As others have said, "your mileage may vary."

I don't have a LoadMaster but I do have a lee, 3hole turret, Pro1000 and an ABLP press and yes I use them all.

Agreed that if you are not happy with the equipment you are using then it's time for a change. I like my Lee presses and intend to keep them, but if I was shooting 1k rounds every month then I would be seriously looking for something more effective than any of the Lee presses I have. So my thinking is you have two primary choices. Either a Dillon or a Hornady AP, or if feeling really frisky an RCBS progressive just to be different. Suite the tool to the job at hand. Don't use a tack hammer to pound spikes and don't use a sledge hammer to set tacks.

From personal experience I will tell you that I could easily run 1k 9mm a month on my Pro1000 and not miss a beat. A dear friend uses his Pro1000 with a universal depriming die with the case feeder, he then washes/tumbles and then primes. He then runs the Primed cases back thru with the expander/powder die, seating die and then the FCD.

Boolit Master

there are plusses and minusses to both. the sdb is small and really non upgradeable. the 650, well now 750 when you add a case feeder to it, it can make a lot of good ammo in a hurry. if your arm is up to it, a case feeder on a 650/750 can do a thousand rounds in an hour. of course that requires a few minutes of prep as in having a pile of primer tubes filled, or someone helping fill primer tubes while you load. if you never planned on going with a case feeder, id probably opt for the sdb, but other than that one instance the larger press wins. it does win at a cost though $$$.

Boolit Buddy
    How well will the Dillon powder funnel expand the case for a .358 bullet vs the M die?

My biggest reservation is not being able to expand the case properly to seat a .358 bullet on the SDB. Could I have a custom funnel made that will mimic the M Die?

If I go the 750 route I css as just use the m die I have.

Boolit Man
    Get the XL750 and don't look back. You will never outgrow that machine like you did with your Lee and probably the SDB at some point. Buy once, cry once I say.

You've actually answered your own question by specifying particular dies and 5 stations, it will have to be a 750 (unless you can find a 650 somewhere). I was faced with the same decision, my Loadmaster was great when it was working but the primer feed was erratic. Everything else worked fine. Initially I decided on an SDB because I only wanted to load .38sp but advice from members on a hunting forum was to get the 650. Knowing that it was being replaced by the 750, with a consequent increase in price, I eventually managed to find one for .38 (no dies, I used my Lee dies).

I modified it quite a bit - fitted a Lee 4-tube case feed and a lee 4-tube boolit feed, using a Mr. Bulletfeeder to drop the boolits. I can load about 100 rounds before having to add extra cases, boolits and primers and I have extra tubes of primers and boolits handy. I originally wanted to use my Lee Factory Crimp Die, but the boolit feeder took priority. If I do happen to mess up the loading sequence it's no problem removing/replacing cases at any point.

I use a Lee Pro1000 to deprime/re-size first before the wet tumble.

The 650 wasn't cheap but I have no regrets getting it, it's a nice piece of engineering and although I don't need it at the moment it's nice knowing that it has flexibility through using standard dies and has 5 stations.

I started out with a 550B 20+ years ago great machine. Ten years later I bought a used SDB set up for 45acp for $75.00 it's become my dedicated 45 acp press, works great! Last year I bought a 650 used less than a year old complete with case feeder and dies for 308 and 223 and 45acp. and lots of bullets, cases, powder etc for $1300. I've only loaded 308 & 223 on it so far. All that being said I like them all. My opinion is for you to get a 650/750 or a 550C. You won/t be disappointed.

Regards,
    Wes
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverJay View Post
    Get the XL750 and don't look back. You will never outgrow that machine like you did with your Lee and probably the SDB at some point. Buy once, cry once I say.
    THIS... I sold my SDB and got the 750. The SDB is a good press, but is awful small work area if you have sausage fingers, or you finger just aren't as nimble as they used to be

I have a couple SD’s and even loaded the ammunition on one I used to place 1st MA at IDPA nationals in ‘09.

However, the SD won’t allow use of any other die. If you want to use 7/8-14 dies pick something else.

Moderator Emeritus

Just curious why you haven't looked at the current 550? It would do what you are looking for and you can control the process. Just a thought. I am very happy with mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have a couple SD’s and even loaded the ammunition on one I used to place 1st MA at IDPA nationals in ‘09.

However, the SD won’t allow use of any other die. If you want to use 7/8-14 dies pick something else.
    Agreed, but do you know why there aren’t custom expanders being offered for the SDB? They don’t seem complicated,from a layman’s perspective anyway.

Boolit Master
    M-style die (i.e. Dillon powder funnel) for the Dillon powder measures.
    https://www.cedhk.com/mr-bulletfeeder-powder-funnel

I recommend a Dillon 550, 650, or 750.
    All those use standard 7/8-14 dies and can optionally use a Dillon case feeder.
    A SDB can't do either.
    If you are going to dedicate the press to one caliber (e.g. 9mm)
    then a 650/750 is the way to go.
    A 650/750 takes longer to change calibers and primer sizes than a 550. More parts to swap out.

Unless money is no object, then a 1050 etc. is the way to go

Boolit Man
    I wanted a dedicated 9mm loader so I opted for a SDB. It worked. I already had a 650 I used for 45. I sold the SDB because the shellplate is so much smaller and my fingers are getting SO much older the combo just didn't match. To me, the. SDB was just harder to work with, both the shellplate and the operating feel of the lever. I know guys enjoy em, just not for me. Saved my pennies and got another 650.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Advice, buy bigger if you decide to use it for other things you have the capability to upgrade or swap calibers quickly.

Boolit Master

Get the 750. Way more production with case feeder and auto index.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two SDB’s and they worked well, but I was shooting a lot (20k/yr) and decided I wanted a case feeder.

I ended up going with the 650 and then to the 1050. The only negative on the 650 for me was priming on the upstroke. It takes a bit of “feel” and a slight pause.

You will be well served with a 750 with a case feeder. Figure about 2 hours a week to produce 1000 rounds.

I have 20 primer tubes that I fill before starting a production run. Takes about 3 hours to load 2000 rounds and clean up
    Don Verna

The SDB is a great machine. I bought mine when I started reloading back in 2017. But it wasn't long I needed to go bigger (.30-30 Winchester).So that lead me to purchase a 550. What I'm saying is if you can afford it, go 750. Sometimes you don't know what the future may bring.

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to get a 1050 but can't afford one, a no options 750 is really taxing my budget. I did see the Mr. Bullet Feeder Dillion funnels. I haven't really looked much at the RL550 mainly due to the manual index, although it is a good in between option.

After several days of research, input from this thread and others, a phone call to Dillion, a chat with an acquaintance that has used a SDB, RL550, XL650 and 1050; I have decided to just fight the Lee a few more months, save and get the XL750 with 9mm Dillion Dies. I get auto indexing, 5 tool head, and ability to load rifle and add case feeder down the road. I thank you all for your input.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast