Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To get a Dillon SDB or XL750?

I think you have made a wise informed decision. Put off the immediate gratification and buy the one you really want when the funds allow it. You will be much happier in the long run.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can make a case feeder if you have basic skills and funds are tight.
    Don Verna

I get auto indexing, 5 tool head, and ability to load rifle and add case feeder down the road. I thank you all for your input.
    Dillon makes it confusing because they call their case collator the “case feeder”. The tube that holds the column of cases and all of the mechanical parts to take a case from the tube and insert it into the shell plate comes from Dillon setup and ready to go on the base machine. The case feed, feeder AKA collator is the extra.

Some folks have built their own, some have adapted the cheap Lee collator/tubes to work, etc.

If you are a DIY type of guy there are lots of possibilities, even a case fed SD.

Boolit Bub
    it took me 25 years to get the 1050. I sold my 650 because of the primer setup. was going to buy a 750. I am only 1/2 hr ride from Dillon . went up and looked over the 750 and like it. went home to think about it and got a good offer for 1050 I had to buy it.

My Sweetie, loves me. She ordered an XL750 with case and bullet feeder for me YESTERDAY for Christmas in 9mm and conversion 380 ACP (her caliber). She got me some updates with the package. Merry Christmas!
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I would love to get a 1050 but can't afford one, a no options 750 is really taxing my budget. I did see the Mr. Bullet Feeder Dillion funnels. I haven't really looked much at the RL550 mainly due to the manual index, although it is a good in between option.
    I saw that you’re going to hold off and go for the 750 and I don’t disagree. I have a 550 that I bought in 1991 and a 650 that I bought in 2006 or ‘07. IMO you’re placing far too much emphasis on auto-indexing. Having used the 550 for nearly 30 years I can assure you that auto-indexing is really a non-event. It becomes second nature and I don’t give it any thought; it’s just automatic.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Well, the beauty of an auto-index is that you can use it as a manual index if you want.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I saw that you’re going to hold off and go for the 750 and I don’t disagree. I have a 550 that I bought in 1991 and a 650 that I bought in 2006 or ‘07. IMO you’re placing far too much emphasis on auto-indexing. Having used the 550 for nearly 30 years I can assure you that auto-indexing is really a non-event. It becomes second nature and I don’t give it any thought; it’s just automatic.
    After posting my decision yesterday I couldn’t get the thought of the RL550 out of my head. Stayed up WAY past my bed time going through RL550 information on Brian Enos web and forum, here and other sites. I had a RL550 and dies in the cart about to purchase and phone died. Went to sleep, not really, my brain wouldn’t stop going over 550 and 750 information. Now torn between the 550 and 750. Still leaning more to the 750 mainly for the 5th station and the higher output rate (in case I get more range/competition time one of these days). I have no doubt that the 550 would be an excellent choice and easier on the ole bank account. If I could find a good bargain on a RL550 I wouldn’t hesitate one bit. Still going shooting for a 750, but have my eye out for a bargain RL550.

Dvdmacdaddy back a year ago after lee came out with the new Auto Breech Lock Pro and the updated Value Turret press I fought with myself for months as to which one to buy because I needed a press with a 4th station. I already knew what the turret press could do but wanted the production I knew would come from the ABLP. As I have learned many times before with items like this buy what you really want and not what you will settle for. At least when I have done that I always regretted not buying what I wanted and was always not fully satisfied with what I got. Now I just hold out until I can buy what I truly want. Also in this case it is a major outlay of cash resources so make it count.

Oh and BTW there have been times when I spent the money for what I truly wanted only to be disappointed after I had it. It happens!

Boolit Master
    "My biggest reservation is not being able to expand the case properly to seat a .358 bullet on the SDB. Could I have a custom funnel made that will mimic the M Die? "

Lathesmith could turn one for you. He did for me. While I only size to .357, and asked for a funnel appropriate for that, .358 shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, my answer shows that I have a SDB. It has worked fine for me all these years, and I historically have shot twice the rounds per year you do. Worth noting though, that I have small hands, so I don't find a four station press cramped for space when I have to get to things on and around the shell plate, and that I am happy making "only" 400 to 500 rounds an hour.

For some, a potential deal killer for the SDB is that it doesn't do rifle cartridges at all, whereas the 750 and manually indexed 550 do. For me, if I wanted to do rifle, I'd add a 550 to the SDB I have. If limited to one press, I might go for the 750, though, as I might if I wanted to shoot 50,000 rounds a year, hated spending time reloading, and weren't retired with ample time to do as I please.

Oh, and if I were all the above, were a gadget fiend, and had unlimited funds, I'd get a Mark 7.
    Last edited by kevin c; 10-31-2019 at 05:20 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I have a sdb and 650. the 650 is superior in every way. But having said that, loading on that little sdb is a pleasure. i think it is the short throw of the sdb handle that just seems easier to me.

Obviously the downside of the sdb is proprietary dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Reloading time is another factor. With a toddler, a teenager, my wife working in the operating room and having to take call often getting a hour here and there is difficult. I like to make it as productive as possible.

Based on everything you've said I think the 750 is the logical choice (unless you can find a 650). The beauty of it is that you can use your existing dies (like I did), there's no need to buy new dies as well so that will keep the cost down a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Found a few 650s but for $100ish more than asking I can buy a new 750, for that difference I’d rather buy new.

As far as being able to seat a .358 dia. bullet : I have a 550B & a 550C. Both use Dillon dies. I have no problem seating .358 or .359 boolits in .38 spec. or .357 & this is done with the standard Dillon powder die. The resulting ammo will knock down 50 yd. chickens off-hand if I do my part. I like the 550's ability to change calibers quickly (I have 4 quick change set-ups other than the 2 in the presses).
    As far as manual advance: I'd pay extra for manual. The Green Machine cured me of auto advance forever.

However: I'm retired & I'm not pressed for time. I never measure how many rounds I loaded in an hour.

If you know someone that has a 650 or 750 or a 550, the ideal way to make the choice is to observe theirs in action.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Well, the beauty of an auto-index is that you can use it as a manual index if you want.
    Only if part of the auto-indexing mechanism is removed. On my 650 that’s the only way to prevent auto-indexing.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Only if part of the auto-indexing mechanism is removed. On my 650 that’s the only way to prevent auto-indexing.
    True, however it took me a minute (maybe less) to make mine manual. Remove the cam operating piece (two allen head bolts), rotate the cam assembly below the shellplate, which will expose an allen head bolt in the ram, insert a suitable size allen key onto the bolt and release the cam to rest against the allen key. It is now a manual index press - although I can't see much need for doing this, after all if you don't want auto-indexing then buy a manual press.

Boolit Master

Dikman, I agree completely. I guess there might be some obscure reason for unusual brass processing or something but I would go back to the 550 or RC first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    Found a few 650s but for $100ish more than asking I can buy a new 750, for that difference I’d rather buy new.
    Doesn’t matter much both have the same lifetime no BS warranty. The rotary priming system on the 650 is the most reliable primer feed system there is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Doesn’t matter much both have the same lifetime no BS warranty. The rotary priming system on the 650 is the most reliable primer feed system there is.
    Wrong. The RCBS primer strip system is, and it is now extinct.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast