MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Scavenge parts from an Arisaka training rifle?

Scavenge parts from an Arisaka training rifle?

Short version: What, if any, parts might one safely cannibalize, from an Arisaka (specifically Type 38) training rifle?

Long version: A while back (and with some helpful guidance from some members of this board), I pieced together a Type 38, from a barreled receiver. I know, the collector's value is gone, but I have a mum-intact, WWII, Japanese battle rifle; I'm happy with it (and I spent next to nothing on the project). However, I now have a mum-ground, barreled receiver sitting in my closet. Seems a shame to me, that it should languish in disuse. I have a number of ideas swirling in my head, but first I need to get it functional. I see dirt-cheap training rifles from time to time, and have been wondering if they might be of any use to me.

Boolit Master
    With the training rifles, they typically ground off one or both of the lugs on the front of the bolt and a smoothbore barrel. But other than the receiver, the rest of the parts ought to fit OK. Now then those before WWII rifles and those made late in the war may or may not be all that for parts interchangeability though. They may have not hardened the training rifle receivers, since the guns were for firing blanks only. The Type 30 rifles might be a exception as they seemed to have converted battle rifles over to be training rifles with the type 30's.

There should be tons of parts for Arisaka rifles out there though. So one could put together one relatively easily.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 10-28-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks, that's I was hoping to hear

If the one in your closet a type 38 or a type 99? I ask because I might have a bolt for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Speaking of cheap Ariska stuff.

Back when the market was flooded with them after we rounded up the rifles taken from the Japanese-

You'd see ads selling bulk ammo for them- also confiscated by the govt. after the war-
    With 500 rounds- you got a free rifle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If the one in your closet a type 38 or a type 99? I ask because I might have a bolt for you.

Type 38. They seem to be a little less common, than the Type 99's....

And yes, I've heard the tails (and even read a vintage ad) regarding the dirt-cheap 6.5 Jap ammo , and rifles. I got into this WAY too late. But, reloading, and bullet casting, has made some very old and interesting guns, worth acquiring for me

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    . I got into this WAY too late. But, reloading, and bullet casting, has made some very old and interesting guns, worth acquiring for me
    Me too. The real deals were in the 50's, and were drying up by the early 60's.

Ga-zillions of German, Japanese, Italian, etc. weapons were dumped onto the surplus market along with British and USGI stuff.
    As a kid, before Gun Control 1968 came along, you'd see old barracks rifle racks in gas stations, auto parts stores, etc.
    with surplus rifles for sale in them.

Back then-
    You could get a set of spark plugs, some oil, or while the kid was filling up your '58 Olds-
    pick out the prettiest Enfield, or 1903-A3, etc., give the guy a few bucks, and walk out.

At about 8 years old-- When I could barely read the sign that said 'Not responsible for M-1 thumbs',
    If I had the money, they'd probably have sold me one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sorry, mine looks like a 99. Good luck with your project. Arisakas are good rifles IME.

Boolit Master
    Back in the 80s , I ran into a WW2 Vet that was in the Occupying force that entered Tokyo in 1945.
    He brought home rifles that he took out of the Japanese Armory that was actually in a Ford Tractor Building in Tokyo.
    He had 6 type 38's two type 99's and two type 99 paratrooper type 99 take down rifles.
    All brand new unfired.
    I kick myself for not buying them for what he wanted at the time.
    But back then , I was looking for nice condition Mauser Bring Backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Sorry, mine looks like a 99. Good luck with your project. Arisakas are good rifles IME.

No worries. It gives me an excuse to wander more gun shows.

Winger Ed:
    The thing about that is, as you know, sporterization was all the rage. It kills me how many beautiful pieces are no longer in their original configuration, further driving up the price of those that are. Yet, at the same time, I would really like to have a tastefully done WWII rifle (especially a Mauser or Arisaka, since I already have my "correct" specimens) in .308; that's mostly what I cast for, and I could use it frequently, without worrying about every potential scratch. It would still have to have irons though

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Back in the 80s , I ran into a WW2 Vet that was in the Occupying force that entered Tokyo in 1945.
    He brought home rifles that he took out of the Japanese Armory that was actually in a Ford Tractor Building in Tokyo.
    He had 6 type 38's two type 99's and two type 99 paratrooper type 99 take down rifles.
    All brand new unfired.
    I kick myself for not buying them for what he wanted at the time.
    But back then , I was looking for nice condition Mauser Bring Backs.
    For more information on that era, I recommend AZ gunsmith Roy Dunlop's memoir, Ordnance Went Up Front in which he describes the gratuitous issue of captured Japanese weapons to GIs in the immediate postwar months of the occupation.