Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 7x57 Mauser ammo from Kynoch

Boolit Mold

7x57 Mauser ammo from Kynoch

Hey all, a new member and poster here. I just bought 8 original boxes of 7x57 ammo made by Kynoch. All in original boxes although the boxes are falling apart. Each has 50 rds in 5 round stripper clips wrapped in thin paper. Headstamps are all " k 37 7m/m ". Boxes are further marked " 140 grs solid pointed bullet nitrocellulose powder". From what I've gleaned off of this and other sites, I think these were manufactured in 1937, and have the copper nickel plating on the bullets. A random sample that I've checked appear to be in good condition, no corrosion anywhere and uniform color for casings and bullets. There are no colors I can see on either the tips or around the primers.
    Also, the primers appear to be the same color as the case, in other words they don't look like copper primers. I suspect these are corrosive but thought I'd ask your opinion. Are the bullets themselves steel or steel core, or just lead clad in copper nickel. Also, in general are these safe to shoot in a 1910 vintage Mexican Fabrica de Armes mauser? Receiver is in good condition and has a replacement barrel/chamber. Opinions are all over the place, and I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just want to know if this is able to be used for general range use without ruining the gun or putting the shooter/ others at risk. Thanks for any thoughts.....

Boolit Master
    The ammo Is corrosive so clean really good after shooting. The bullets should be lead copruo nickel jacket fmj .Take a shell apart to find out for sure. Being that old you will have a few duds but they should fire and be fine in your gun.there probably worth more for collectors than shooting. So you may not want to shoot them. First find out what there worth.

Boolit Master

Hi Thorion and welcome to Cast Boolits! Regardless of how well they shoot (or not,) be sure to save those stripper clips...those are like gold. Ed

Boolit Master

Corrosive ammo, Clean immediately after shooting. Cases are probably berdan primed too.
    Second on Collector status. Second on saving those stripper clips, they are worth $2 to $5 each.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - yer shootin' Cartridge Collector Ammo.
    Far better to save it. Get Modern NON CORROSIVE ammo to shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    Normal cleaning solvents won’t work on corrosive primer residue. You’ll want to do some research on bore cleaning specifically after use of corrosive primer ammunition.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies so far....I figured it it's corrosive so hot soapy water and lots of scrubbing. I'm guessing it's like cleaning my black powder plains rifle. I certainly will be keeping the clips and I generally save the cases as well. Any idea what collector value is for the intact boxes? I hadn't thought about that at all, just figured it was cheap enough for practice...... Clearly I'm a newby at this - I really appreciate the help!

Kynoch stuff seems to bring a premium, regardless of caliber or age. If I were you....I would definitely be doing some research before I sent any of it downrange.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Trails4u.... I'll do some checking and set what comes up. Everything soars completely original except the glue that held thre boxes together has failed. If I get anywhere in my research, I'll post back here. I continue to welcome any further input or suggestions. This had become an interesting habit, collecting obscure firearms and the occasional weird ammo.

Boolit Mold
    Did I mention I hate auto complete!?!!! Sorry about the bizarre word choices, but I figure you all will get what I mean. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Dohhhh!".

"This had become an interesting habit, collecting obscure firearms and the occasional weird ammo."

Welcome to the absurd world of what we do...… Your wallet will never be the same.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I bought about 20 boxes of these from Samco in Miami, FL, along with a few Chilean Steyr 1912 ‘98 military rifles back in 1988. They were headstamped 1937 as well, and are loaded with strands of cordite, Berdan primed and corrosive.

Boolit Master
    I had some of this Kynoch dated 1938. The bullets were steel jacketed cordite loaded and berdan corrosive primers. Pulled some bullets. Used an inertia bullet puller. Broke the first one trying to get some bullets out. Bottom portion of the bullet was badly rusted and certainly wouldn't want the rust in any 7mm rifles. That's why the puller broke, big ball of rust on the base of each bullet I pulled. One of my shooting buddies said he'll take them so he got about 200 of them. Truth be told I showed him the 3 bullets
    I pulled. What was he shooting them in 1893 Spanish mauser. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 10-29-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Pretty sure that means I'll be moving these on at some point to a collector or collectors. Given the condition of the two 7mm rifles that came as a lot of 4 at an auction, I'm not going thi chance it. Funny. The other two rifles were bubba'd a really long time ago...a Mauser 1871 single shot in 11mm and a Mauser 71/84 with the tubular magazine in 11mm. Those will go to the collector's gun show in May. And you're right, Trails4u, my wallet isn't the same.... ammo, a 1910 vintage C96, two European shotguns, a 7mm magnum win 70 xtr, a Garand, a K98, and on and on.