MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Homemade Sand Bags Needed

Boolit Master

Suggestions for Homemade Sand Bags Needed

I'm getting ready to dispose of several pairs of denim jeans that became surplus when I lost weight. I've been thinking that cutting the legs off and having them made into sandbags would be a good use. I've occasionally seen posts of others doing this but I'm hopeless with the search function here. Also, I'll have to find someone that can sew up several for me. I don't sew and neither does my wife.

Any suggestions how to go about this or what size, features(zipper?), etc would be appreciated.
    John
    W.TN

It'll work, but you'll want some inner plastic, vinyl, rubber coating inside, or something
    to keep them from having porous leakage of sand through the weave of the cloth.

I've made them before out of left over cloth from doing upholstery work with vinyl.
    I sewed the sides, bottom, and about 3/4 of the top on a machine.

Then fill the bag, and sew it shut on the last bit by hand.
    If loose sand gets down in the sewing machine, nothing good will come of it.

The public range I used to go to had sand bags made from the canvas bags shot comes in.
    Size & all was about perfect.

They used some sort of sand that had a real coarse grain,
    but wasn't quite gravel and didn't sift out through the bag..
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-28-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The denim is the way to go, and it’s cheap to pick up a needle and thread. I doubt I could explain how to sew, I can barely do it myself. However I fill my sand bag to my desired level of fill and then see it closed.

I’ll also put the sand in a thin bag before putting it in the denim sack. That helps to seal it and keep it from leaking out, or from creating dust when you plop it down on the bench. It also helps “water proof” it from when your kid accidentally leaves it outside in the rain.

Old socks also make nice little mini bags, that can be useful when you don’t want to carry a big bag around but would like something to help cradle the front end of the rifle.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Master

old pants legs are cheap, and work. one word of advice, if you have revolvers dont rest the frame right on the bag, the cylinder blast will put holes in them very quickly.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck using plastic zip ties to close the end of a sand filled shot bag. It should work as well on cut off denim jean legs.

In Remembrance

+1 on plastic bag liners for "sand-bags". I don't use sand instead buy rice when on sale (WalMart?) which works as well and is much lighter. A friend buys plastic "bead" stuffing that is used for manufacturing stuffed animals and beanie babies. If you absolutely can't sew (!?) it is possible to use fabric glue or to tie of the ends with string.

Boolit Master

I'd use rice or beans, then sew a basic overstitch which is the easiest hand stitch.place the sand, rice or beans in an interior bag double over the end, then overstitch. Turn the jean leg inside out, do the same thing to one end, then reinvert it, place the inner bag in, sewn end first. Sew the open end closed in the same manner.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I made up mine out of shot bags. but paint legs do work. I lined mine with plastic bags and used cat litter instead of sand.

when you cut the legs off save the other part sew the leg hoes shut put on a carry strap. sell them cot shopping bags.

Boolit Master

I have one made from a denim pants leg that has been around for over 10 years and no leakage. I used masonry sand for it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Most of mine are shot bags but I've got a few made from pants legs. We put common play sand into the plastic bag a loaf of bread comes in. This is just to keep sand contained while sewing. Wife sews acoss them double stich, then folds it back over itself and stitches again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I have had good luck using plastic zip ties to close the end of a sand filled shot bag. It should work as well on cut off denim jean legs.
    Speaking from experience I can say, "Yes, zip ties work just fine for that job". I can also say that simply placing a plastic trash bag inside the cut off blue jean leg makes a fine liner to hold the sand inside.

The best part of those types of sand bags is they are essentially disposable. They cost nearly zero to make and if you get a hole in one or leave it at a range, you've lost nothing. You can also make them to just about any size needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used aquarium gravel and like that it doesnt leak out like sand.

Boolit Master

I made mine with sawdust inside plastic bread sacks stuffed into bluejean legs.

A couple of replies up I read "used cat litter". Had to go back and read that one closer.

Boolit Master
    Ive done all of the above with good results all around. Ive even used whole feed corn. For some to leave at the range I’ve cut a section of inner tube, folded one end and clamped with hog rings. The kind they used to put seat covers on with. We actually used them on the hogs but they have many uses. Put in desired amount of sand and repeat.

Ive also used hog rings on denim jean legs but generally just sew them up by hand.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on aquarium gravel.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Post #7(Thanks Omega) reminded me that I have a spool of polyester .050 thread and needles to go with it. I think that I can at least sew one end and use a zip tie, which I have a supply of, on the other end. Plastic bags inside the jean legs sounds like a good idea too. I doubt that I'll be using them for 10 years though.

Thanks for all the tips.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Well I was gonna offer something, and I still will for just a lil bit to think on, but it seems you have it covered...

I have used the "wire ties" that have the loops in the end & are twisted with a tool you spin around, as well as the wire we use in a spool & twist with a linesman pliers or the like, ( "safety wire pliers if ya have them work well too.) for tying rebar together, but if ya don't have such things, the zip ties sound like the easiest for ya. +10 on the use of some sort of plastic bag, but try to use something that is more than a few "mils" thick, or I think you will be disappointed.

I usually turn the pants legs inside out for the first 'Knot"/"tie off" & then stick a couple bread bags or something thinker in side after I have turned the pants legs back to right side out, fill & then seal the ends leaving a little "slack" of the fill. I think that little bit of "slack" inside helps them stack better & keeps them from splitting.

Anyway, Sound like ya have things under control & G'Luck! in the doins!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I was reading some where while thinking about building some more. Suggested to use those beads that Air Soft shooters use...

Boolit Master
    I make denim sand bags just like most here with sand or rice inside a plastic bag stuffed into the denim. I use to use zip ties but I didn’t like the long tails and if I cut them off the sharp ends were always poking my hands or arms. So I bought a bag of scrap leather strings and tie the ends with that after wrapping it around a couple of times. Seems like there’s always something else those scrap strings are good for such as holster hammer loops. I even drilled a hole in the end of my cross sticks and made a leather loop to go over my shoulder to make them easier to carry.

In Remembrance

I made mine from shot bags filled with plastic beads that were for injection molding. I would get floor sweepings by the bucket, once they hit the floor they had dirt and other color beads mixed in so they were tossed. Too bad I don't have a couple drums of them to donate to fellow shooters.
    Good weight to them and water doesn't affect them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast