WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: we made 25 pasties yesterday

Banned

we made 25 pasties yesterday

if your not from way up here they are a kind of a meat pie folded over and sealed kind of like a calzone (spelling?) . Venison, taters, rudibaga, carrots and onion. Probably makes the house smell better then cooking anything else in the world.

Do you make those with beans, or without?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Food...whew! I was a little wary of clicking on this thread, especially since an odd number was mentioned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Food...whew! I was a little wary of clicking on this thread, especially since an odd number was mentioned.
    Now that is funny!

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Thanx for the morning laugh....that's a beautiful answer.

Lloyd....is there some sort of gravy that goes with them...can you share the recipe...I love this type of food.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

That sounds awesome.

My sister made a great sausage and onion pie recently. Basically a sheet of pie dough with a thin layer of sautéed onions and crumbled sausage. Pie dough sheet on top with a rolled and crimped edge. It was awesome.
    Dying to see your recipe.

Boolit Grand Master

The last time I saw "pasties" was in a New Orleans night club on Bourbon Street !
    They sure looked good !
    I didn't know they was edible ....
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The last time I saw "pasties" was in a New Orleans night club on Bourbon Street !
    They sure looked good !
    Great Southron minds think alike.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    They sure looked good !
    You can't mine deep with a 5' water table. Past-ies are quite different than the old Cornish miner Pas-ties. Butte's traditional are only beef and potatoes, feuds are battled as to whether you drench in catsup or gravy. I add onion, garlic, green olives to mine and vary the meat. South Americans call it an empanada but it is all about a meal you can carry in your pocket. British baking show a few years back had them make a middle English style of one end sweet and one end savory. It's all meat pies and all good in my book.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I love pasties!

Attachment 250377
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

My Grandma made them with beef suet in the crust, the scent of them baking made me salivate like a dog! Daughter in Az has a pastie place by her house which she frequents due to her Yooper roots. When she comes home she usually come up with a menu which almost always includes them.

Lloyd,

I to make up a batch or two of venison pasties every year. Question. What do you use for a crust recipe? Most of the really good pasties I've eaten have had a slightly tough, almost leathery crust texture which I like best. I use a standard pie crust recipe with lard or shortening. To get a tougher texture, I over work the crust which you would never do for a pie. Comes out better, but not the same.

Banned

Some like a beef gravy on them but the traditional way is smothered in ketsup.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Thanx for the morning laugh....that's a beautiful answer.

Lloyd....is there some sort of gravy that goes with them...can you share the recipe...I love this type of food.

redhawk

Banned

crust advice? youd have to ask my wife. I shoot the deer and grind it and help chop veggys but she does the crust and puts them together and bakes them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Lloyd,

I to make up a batch or two of venison pasties every year. Question. What do you use for a crust recipe? Most of the really good pasties I've eaten have had a slightly tough, almost leathery crust texture which I like best. I use a standard pie crust recipe with lard or shortening. To get a tougher texture, I over work the crust which you would never do for a pie. Comes out better, but not the same.

Cornish Pastie

For the Pastry (This is for Shortcrust)

· One and a half Cups Plain Flour
    · Lard or vegetable fat
    · Pinch of salt
    · Water

For the pastie filling

· Chuck steak or skirt, sliced and sauteed
    · Two Large potatoes, lightly boiled and diced
    · Two large carrots, diced
    · One large onion, diced
    · Salt and pepper to taste
    · Water

Cornwall Pastie Recipe Method

The Pastry

Place flour and salt in a bowl, and then rub in the fat until the mixture is so fine that it falls through the fingers. Tip mixture onto a lightly floured table top. With your index finger make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add water a little at a time until it forms a pliable, but stiff dough.

The Cornish Pastie Filling

Finely chop the steak. Dice the potato, carrots, and onion. (You may prefer to slice them.) Add seasoning. Mix all in a bowl or to be really authentic use your kitchen table top.

Using a floured table top, roll out half the dough to a circle the size of a plate. Make a mound of the filling in the centre of the dough. Dampen round the edge of the dough with either water, or milk. Fold over the dough, to make a half moon shape, crimping the edges. Make a slit to let out steam. Brush with beaten egg to glaze.

Cooking your Cornish Pastie

Place on lightly greased metal baking tray in the middle of a preheated oven, for around 40 minutes at 450 F. The pastie is cooked when their undersides turn brown and crisp.

Cornish Pastie History and Folklore - Cornwall

There is as much folklore around the Cornish Pastie as there are recipe variations. One such tale said it was bad luck for fishermen to take a pastie on board a boat, but then again I know a modern day skipper that 'loves his pasties'. A very famous photograph from the late Nineteenth Century shows a group of tin miners at 'Croust Time' (that is meal time to you and I) tucking into very large pasties. (Incidentally the mining boom was largely over by the 1860's) Such pasties would have meat at one end and a fruit filling at the other.

Whatever the truth, there is no doubt that the pasty formed an important part of many working Cornishman's diet, be they miners, farmers, or fishermen. With the decline of the mining industry in Cornwall many Cornishmen were forced to emigrate, as far afield as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, where they took the Cornish pastie recipe with them.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife just made these about two weeks ago, and I think they were the best pasties I ever had, and I've had a few, living in Cornish country in Southwest Wis. I will have to talk to her about the recipe as the crust was amazing. I put ketchup on mine.

Banned

wife did say you HAVE to use lard not crisco

Boolit Buddy
    Lioyd those look very tasty. They remind me of meat pies I always eat when I go to Natchitoches Louisiana to visit my kinfolks. Lard makes the best crust...……………………………….curdog

Boolit Master

Made a small batch today, just 6 as an experiment. I've had meat pies before, but they did not have the veggies in them. This made me a little curious. These turned out really well, but I got the crust just a little thicker IMO, than what I envisioned. Have to work on my crust skills. LOL. The mixture I used was meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and rutabaga. I made the whole recipe of meat with thyme, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. My wife and I both agree, that mixture by itself is delicious. The crust was 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups lard, couple pinches of salt and water to moisten. Lard may not be healthy, as some people believe, but it's darn sure healthier than the fake lard. Like real butter is better for you than oleo.
    I'm not a big ketchup fan, so I just ate mine dry. I'll try a good gravy, maybe. Nothing wrong with it by itself, I'll tell you.
    Took a picture of them, but for some reason, site refuses to upload it. Dunno, maybe too big a file. Shouldn't be.
    AHAA! Success! Resized the little booger.
    Attachment 250705
    Last edited by gbrown; 11-04-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

anymore those designer pastie shops up here make them so many ways that about anything goes. One thing I do like is a some cheddar cheese inside mine. Also make sure you stick a small slice of butter 1/4 inch or so inside to keep the mixture moist.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Made a small batch today, just 6 as an experiment. I've had meat pies before, but they did not have the veggies in them. This made me a little curious. These turned out really well, but I got the crust just a little thicker IMO, than what I envisioned. Have to work on my crust skills. LOL. The mixture I used was meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and rutabaga. I made the whole recipe of meat with thyme, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. My wife and I both agree, that mixture by itself is delicious. The crust was 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups lard, couple pinches of salt and water to moisten. Lard may not be healthy, as some people believe, but it's darn sure healthier than the fake lard. Like real butter is better for you than oleo.
    I'm not a big ketchup fan, so I just ate mine dry. I'll try a good gravy, maybe. Nothing wrong with it by itself, I'll tell you.
    Took a picture of them, but for some reason, site refuses to upload it. Dunno, maybe too big a file. Shouldn't be.
    AHAA! Success! Resized the little booger.
    Attachment 250705