WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxADvertise here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is the sacrifice of Jesus over rated?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    I get what you mean. It is sort of like Superman charging into a hailstorm of bullets - it ain't exactly brave when you know you're bullet proof.
    Perhaps Jesus knew he would come back to life, but I think you have to admit he did die. Perhaps the knowledge that He would come back to life somewhat diminishes the sacrifice...
    For the Christian, we all believe that once we die we will be with God. Does anyone want to volunteer to be stripped naked, have their flesh whipped off their back and then be nailed to some boards for a slow, certain death? Not very many will because the experience is very real. Knowing that he would come back to life did not diminish Jesus' humiliation and pain.

How many would stand back while their son was stripped naked, have their flesh whipped off their back and then be nailed to some boards for a slow, certain death? Why not? They'll be with Jesus when it's all over, right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    ..... Knowing that he would come back to life did not diminish Jesus' humiliation and pain.

How many would stand back while their son was stripped naked, have their flesh whipped off their back and then be nailed to some boards for a slow, certain death? Why not? They'll be with Jesus when it's all over, right?
    Well put. Outlandish contemplations of pompous arm chair "interlecsuls" trying to minimise Jesus would immediately be reversed if they were facing what he faced in our place.
    Last edited by 1hole; 12-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Gentlemen, please give weight to my use of the word "perhaps" in my post. Understand that I do not necessarily believe that knowledge of rising from the dead undid any of the pain. Actually I could make the counter argument that the agony in the garden proves that this knowledge made it worse. Christ knew what He was in for and dreaded it. My post was intended to entertain the idea for the sake of argument.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    ... Christ knew what He was in for and dreaded it. My post was intended to entertain the idea for the sake of argument.
    Sooo .... it worked.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Well put. Outlandish contemplations of pompous arm chair "interlecsuls" trying to minimise Jesus would immediately be reversed if they were facing what he faced in our place.
    I assumed that the vast majority of us would suffer torture and death to save our children...so maybe I was wrong about that. Thus my opinion that the death of Jesus is no more of a sacrifice than most mortal men would endure to achieve salvation for their children. But if you believe most men would not save their children, then I understand why your opinion is different.

BTW, I am grateful for His sacrifice as it is the only way I could ever have a chance for eternal life. But I know both my father and mother would have died to save me as well. They would have died with no expectation of going to back to Heaven as Jesus had. So, in my eyes, it would have been a greater sacrifice than that of Jesus. Jesus died to save billions of His children....my parents would die to save one. My perspective is different but it is an honest one. If I am one of those "arm chair "interlecsuls", so be it. God gave us intelligence and choice for a reason. If He wanted puppets, He could have done so. Regrettably, most churches want puppets as it makes things so much easier for them...God is different.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    dverna, the real question then becomes, would one of your parents have died to save a strangers kid, one whose family even hated your "kind"?

For while we where YET sinners, Christ died for us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    dverna, the real question then becomes, would one of your parents have died to save a strangers kid, one whose family even hated your "kind"?

For while we where YET sinners, Christ died for us!
    I believe the question is incorrect because we are all God’s children.

I can speak for myself....I would not undergo what Jesus suffered to save a child I did not know....I am too selfish.

A more relevant question is...would any man do it to save mankind? As Jesus did? I believe there are some men who would. That is worth considering is it not?
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Sooo .... it worked.

Yup. Just didn't want people getting the wrong impression.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234