WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap rifle cheap scope great accuracy

Cheap rifle cheap scope great accuracy

My Wife won a TC Compass in 308. I was going to sell it for her till i got it home and found how smooth the action is, plus it has a threaded barrel. after replacing the trigger spring it dropped the trigger pull to about 3lb. I just bought a new set of tire's for her car she said I could have the rifle. (it would have been much cheaper to buy the rifle). put a cheap Simmons 3-9 on it. took it down to my range this morning, at 65 yds the first 3 shot's where to get on the bull, then I fired 3 more to see what kind of group I would get. from my bench I saw one hole and thought where the heck did the other two go. walked up to the target, all three in one hole. this is with cheap PPU FMJ rounds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1123190956_HDR.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	251673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1123191000.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	251674

Banned
    Not cheap, ---- economical

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best cheap brand scopes I ever had was a Simmons ATV,and one of the worst I had was a Simmons Blazer..I currently have a Simmons 8 point 3-9x50 on on a 270,and it is good,and bright,and seems to function fine,but I have a hard time trusting it .LOL..I will haul it around in its case for a while,and think it has probably lost zero,and should probably shoot it to see,and every time it is dead on..

Boolit Master
    When all I did was hunt or plink using kentucy windage for range and wind adjustments I used a variety of cheap scopes. Tasco and Bushnell back then. They held up well, held zero and never let me down, even with really heavy black powder loads, cold, hot, dusty, rain, and bouncing around in the truck. They did not have very accurate reticle adjustments but since I only used them to set the zero it was not an issue. About the only drawback was light gathering ability and optical clarity. They were adequate.

Now days I just shoot at paper and I want a scope that has precise and repeatable adjustments and clear optics. I paid a lot more for the two I have now.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the Compass rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor just because I didn't have anything in that caliber and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. IMHO it is a butt ugly rifle, but man does it shoot. Put a Simmons on mine as well.

Boolit Master

at 65yds, just about any scope should suffice, so long as its parts dont fall off.

Boolit Master
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but one 3-shot group at 65 yards does not convince the pessimist in me. In my experience, most any rifle will do that - once. Put your target at 100 yards and shoot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups, then average the group size. Then, you have a much better idea of what the rifle/ammo combination is capable of.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Your rifles only as good as your optic and I hate Simmons they are foggy and blurry IMO. Someone just had a Nikon 4 x 12 on sale for 99 bucks I think it was Cabela’s,it’s 10 times the optic. Do yourself a favor and take that Simmons back and buy one of those Nikon’s that are on sale.

Boolit Buddy
    My TC compass in 308 is an amazing rifle. It shoots one hole groups all day with lead cast bullets

Attachment 251716. This is a 4 round group with my hunting load going 2400 FPS we killed 7 deer with it this year rating from 40 yards to 160
    Attachment 251717. This is a 15 round group with the Lee 312-155 over 13 grn of red dot this is only 50-60 yards but for a cheap cheap plinking load who cares?

My rifle in 308 has a Vortex crossfire 2 in 3x9 it shoots great! And my 30-06 has a Konus scope in 3-12 which is an amazing scope for the price! I bought it used here and it’s great I shot 2 deer in the neck this year with a Hornady 150sp at 280 yards and it was 2 bang flops

I think these are the best value guns on the market, I have one in 308 and in 30-06 I’m going to buy 2 more in 308 for my twin boys(5now) but I’m going to keep them just in case they get rid of the 1/12 twist in them

Great gun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but one 3-shot group at 65 yards does not convince the pessimist in me. In my experience, most any rifle will do that - once. Put your target at 100 yards and shoot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups, then average the group size. Then, you have a much better idea of what the rifle/ammo combination is capable of.
    Your skepticism is understandable, but maybe misinformed.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe the T/C Compass rifles are supposed to be 1 M.O.A. or better right out of the box.

I purchased the Compass in .243 Winchester last year.
    I am convinced it will shoot better than I do.
    It may not be a competition rifle, but completely serviceable for the average hunter.

BTW- I've been using Simmons 8-Point scopes on several rifles and have been satisfied.

My idea for this rifle is to drop a deer or coyote in the hills of Pennsylvania, where with the tree's your longest shot maybe 200 yds (unless you are on a gas or power line that can be much more) not to shoot 10 5 shot groups.

Boolit Master
    I've got some Leupold 3i's, some Burris Fullfield II's, Nikon Monarch's, Weaver's, and some Simmons. I've been surprised by the Simmon's and they work very well. I don't put them on the hard Kickers.
    I've got a Simmon's 4-16 on a Marlin 336 .32 Special that shoots boolits under 3"" at 200 yards, so....... I think my Nikon Monarch's might be the sharpest, Leupold and Burris about the same same. Spend some time cleaning lens and adjusting focus and many cheap scopes work OK. I have a $16 Bushnell Banner 4x32 (1980's) that still works well on a .22LR. I have a Simmons 4-12 on a Savage 99 .308 that also seems to hold zero and adjust reasonably. Surprising how well they work for the price. A would take a new 'high-end' Simmons over a 1963 Weaver for practical hunting.

Boolit Master

I have an older Simmons Whitetail Classic in 2.5x8x36mm and it is my go to scope to test a new rifle. It has always tracked true(click adjustments) and it is as clear as my Leupold and Burris scopes. As for testing for accuracy, 10 X 5 shot groups for hunting rifles is a waste of ammo. Rifle accuracy depends on what you hunt, the distance you are most likely to be shooting, and most of all, the ability of the shooter. Shooting off a rest tests rifle and ammo, not the shooter. If hunting where the ranges are going to be close(heavy cover), then 65 yards zero is better than 100 to 200 yard zero. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    Next time those thing go on sale I might have to pick one up just to play with it. One of my co-workers bought a compass in 6.5 because he found them for $200 I think. He's killed several big game animals with it already and has been pleased with the performance......he has several very expensive rifles and is a very good shooter so I believe him when he says it was a good purchase for a hunting rifle.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    My Compass in .308 is sub MOA. It is ugly and the trigger is not that great...but it shoots.

Put a Vortex Viper on it....not a believer in cheap optics.
    Don Verna

The trigger can be improved by replacing the spring, very easy take the action out of the stock, drive one pin out and replace the spring. maybe I got lucky but i did not mess with the adjustment screw and it made the trigger much better. after spending i think $14.00 for the spring my wife who works at a small hardware store told me she could have gotten the same spring for 25 cents.

I have a mosin with an amazon scope. The damn scope mount is homemade and holds with a screw that only sits on the receiver. Shoots good!

I wish that the Compass came in 8x57 or .35 Rem or .358 Win. I’d grab one if they did.

I have had an inexpensive 1.5X4.5 Bushnell variable on my Marlin 35 Remington for years now. Taken 4 deer with it and its held zero from year to year. Optics are not up to my Vortex but adequate. These new inexpensive rifles are quite impressive. Killed 3 deer with a Savage Axis in 6.5CM. Thing shoots better than I do. AS itt was right handed and I am a South Paw I just bought a Ruger American Predator in LH. Another inexpensive rifle that shoots well.

DEP

Boolit Master

well done !
    what type of suppressor do you have mounted on the barrel?
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast