RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Inertia poller

Boolit Master

I think there pretty much all made by the same company whoever it is.
    Denny

Boolit Master

I thought I would update this thread to make everyone aware of the resolution. I waited until Dec. 20th or so and then gave RCBS a call. The CS man said they were behind on E-mails. I gave him my information and received a new inertia puller 3-5 days later.
    My experience is you need to call them instead of relying on e-mails.

Got a Frankford Arsenal inertia puller around 1990. About 15 later the handle plastic cracked off so I split a section of broom handle and pressed a section of 3/4" conduit over it and have used it like that for the past 15 years. About two weeks ago the head broke into several pieces when using it. 30 years of decent use I won't complain when i initially figured 2-3 years just going off of the plastic construction. Went to go get another and see that they're smaller/thinner with less plastic in the head and handle. Metal rod connecting them also looked smaller. So I got a lyman this go around that seemed more robust than the current Frankford offering.

Boolit Master
    I believe I got the one of first marketed inertia pullers soon after I saw it; it was a Quinetics brand if I remember rightly. It served well for decades, until about '95, when the head snapped off its light wooden "hammer" handle. By then most hammer pullers had aluminum shafts but I got a replacement with one of the first all one piece plastic head and handle, it was made by "Berry's". Love it.

I think we've only had two puller makers who colored and labeled them for resale by other brands. So, it hardly matters what brand we buy because they're all the same. What varies is the base plastic the makers use and their retailers have no control over that. (I've been told that some lots of that base plastic material have been more brittle than others from the same source.)

IMHO, it's not a question of one puller type or the other being "best". I believe a broad base reloader probably has - or will have - a legitimate need for both an inertia AND a collet puller. But inertia pullers are much more versatile - they're slow but they will pull ANYTHING! - so maybe it should be obtained first. ??

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a RCBS for years. The collet was not holding the loaded round properly. I called RCBS & in a few days I received 2 . A large and a small

and a shell holding block . No questions just good service. I can't afford to own some of the other brands with service like that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ipopum View Post
    I can't afford to own some of the other brands with service like that.
    I admit to being a "word snob" and THAT is a nice turn of a phrase. Well done.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    RCBS' Customer Service isn't perfect but it is pretty good. That said, there are no "free" parts, no maker could afford that for long. They have data on the parts that tend to get broken, and the quanities. The anticipated cost of those "free" parts are factored into the sales price. That means those who often screw up their tools get a nice break but the majority who don't screw up pays most of the cost.

I'm old. I've learned how good our different brands really are, I buy absolutely nothing by the color of its paint. I'm not clumsy so I don't bend or break much stuff . When I buy new stuff I make my choices based on the user features of each item ... and the purchase price; some of it is green, most is not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    RCBS' Customer Service isn't perfect but it is pretty good. That said, there are no "free" parts, no maker could afford that for long. They have data on the parts that tend to get broken, and the quanities. The anticipated cost of those "free" parts are factored into the sales price. That means those who often screw up their tools get a nice break but the majority who don't screw up pays most of the cost.

I'm old. I've learned how good our different brands really are, I buy absolutely nothing by the color of its paint. I'm not clumsy so I don't bend or break much stuff . When I buy new stuff I make my choices based on the user features of each item ... and the purchase price; some of it is green, most is not.
    I agree completely . I shop the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I had the same experience but it fit in a small flat rate box so there was some money saved.
    I think you'd came out better with a bubble mailer and non flat rate. I'd bet it would about 5.00.

Super Moderator

I have broke several of them over the years, and just bought new ones. It's just plastic, so I expect them to eventually break. Now if I had one for two days and it broke, I'd call RCBS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12