WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Inertia poller

Boolit Master

RCBS Inertia poller

Just curious about RCBS service. I bought an inertia puller about 10 years ago. My old puller had the aluminum shaft and had cracked so I bought a new one anticipating failure. I never used the new one.
    I needed to pull a few 9mm bullets and could not find my old puller so I grabbed the new one. On the second bullet the entire end of the hammer broke off.. I emailed RCBS and asked for a new one. I have not heard anything from them. Does RCBS warranty their bullet pullers? Do I need to call?
    I am by no means a freeloader but I got zero service out of the puller. Your thoughts and comments.

Boolit Master
    Call. They should take care of it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Calling seems to get faster response, I've emailed and it's taken awhile for them to respond.

Boolit Master

I would be shocked if they didn't replace it dor you. The cap let go on mine after several years of heavy use. Replaced no problem. They are sometimes a bit slow responding to electronic inquiries, but they'll take care of you.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I had one of the old ones with the aluminum handle shaft. The head broke after only 20+ years! Got a hold of RCBS and the sent me a new one. It is all plastic but seems to work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    They will warranty it but they will require you to ship the broken one back before they do so (at about the same cost for postage as the tool cost).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    They will warranty it but they will require you to ship the broken one back before they do so (at about the same cost for postage as the tool cost).
    interesting, they replaced mine, no question or return needed....
    Do you know when their policy changed? Maybe emailing a photo would suffice?
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Hey... they're cheap and not indestructable, but yours was REAL cheap. No idea how Alliant/RCBS will treat this. Hope they warranty you a new one.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I had one of the old inertia pullers made by a different company. It had an aluminum handle and it broke after very little usage. I ordered an Quinetics puller and it has been going strong for years now. I will say that I have always had nothing but great service from RCBS but I always call them, not email. james

Boolit Master
    I ordered an Quinetics puller and it has been going strong for years now.

+1!
    Mine just keeps on going, even after I had a milsurp tracer round ignite in it!!
    ukrifleman.

I have had a RCBS 5 station case prep machine for years and have used it A LOT. And I bought it used. About 3 weeks ago while prepping a new batch of brass I realized that I was having to press pretty hard to get the chamfering tools to work and that it was rolling the edges a little. I looked in RCBS's online catalog to order some new heads. Couldn't find them. HMMM

About this same time I bought a used RCBS digital scale with the accompanying powder dispenser. The scale would not calibrate. Kept getting an Err1 message. The owners manual said to contact RCBS for help.

I went to their website and got onto their "Contact us" page. I wrote out a short message concerning my woes and sent it to them. I noticed a message on their site that they were having power outage problems due to wildfires. In about 2 weeks I got a package from them with 2 new chamfering heads. No Charge. I then got an email from their Tech department outlining how to do a factory reset for the scale. It worked perfect! No proof of purchase. No sending in old parts, just taking care of a customer. My kind of company,

While we're on the subject of good companies, I have a pair of Nikon binoculars that are over 35 years old that I have used A LOT. Through my inattention they slid off the dash of my Cherokee and landed on the floor. Knocked them out of alignment. Double image. They are at Nikon now, being repaired, under 100% warranty. No proof of purchase. Just send them in and they're taking care of a customer. Again my kind of company.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master
    I've broken a few RCBS pullers.
    Last one that broke, I just bought a new one.
    Figured I owe RCBS at least that much for all the replacements I got.

Boolit Master

OP again
    I had one of the aluminum shaft ones and used it from 1975 til 1990 or so. It broke. I bought the second aluminum shaft and the handle cracked and I bought the all plastic one. It went unused for several years. I was in a hurry and grabbed the new all plastic one. On the second bullet the end broke off. If I had resonable service out of it I would have just bought a new one. I have had excellent service from RCBS before.l

They wanted mine sent back before it would be replaced, around four yrs ago and said was new policy. I bought a different brand and am happy. I had, two, RCBS hammers break, they are not good

Boolit Master
    Midway hammer here. Used it a bunch on handloaded ammo bought from an estate to save bullets, brass and primers. My Midway puller has been serving me since the mid 90’s, no complaints!

I read that seating the bullet a bit deeper helps to pull them. The movement breaks the “set” between a slug and the inside of the case neck.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Mine is also a Midway. The first one that I bought shattered after the first five cases I disassembled. I called Midway and they sent me a new one, saying that they got a batch from the supplier that wasn't made correctly. This was about 20 years ago.
    I did learn to put one foam earplug into the puller so it won't mess up your bullet tip......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    I had the same experience but it fit in a small flat rate box so there was some money saved.

It lasted many years (1990s purchase) and pulled hundreds of bullets before breaking.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I think I broke a 15+ year old RCBS one 10 years ago and they replaced it in less than 2weeks after calling them.

The current one's face is a little messed up from not seeing screws in th surface I was pounding on, but is still going strong dispite my affinity for heavy crimps.

If the OP called RCBS about I would be surprised if the have not replaced it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always had good service from RCBS when it comes to warranty issues. I started out decades ago with the metal and plastic kinetic puller. Lost it to a fellow reloader. Bought another one (used) and lost it to another reloader. My last one (metal and plastic) is a Frankford Arsenal and has been going strong for 15-20 years. Since I never liked pounding it on the concrete floor and never wanted to ding up the workbench, I made a 'pounding block' from a piece of 4x4x10" post scrap and added a old garage D handle since I had one lying around. It may take a few more whacks to pull crimped rounds but I think it preserves the plastic and metal configuration. I would definitely use it for an all plastic KP.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I bought two from Midway about 30 years ago. Used one up until two years ago then it broke in half. Got the new one and it lasted about 6 months and it broke. I was really disappointed when the second one broke because I had never used it. Guess it being out in the garage all that time in the heat it couldn't last either. Bought a Frankfod Arsnel one and it is working just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast