RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Do any of you Have any expereience with MilitaryHeritage.com and their flintlocks.

Boolit Master

Do any of you Have any expereience with MilitaryHeritage.com and their flintlocks.

I have noticed their add in couple of magazines and online. They are based in Canada, I think, and their Flintlocks are ready to go, just drill a touchhole or install a removable touchhole liner. I have read some reviews, and they all look pretty good. I am considering getting a Brown Bess from them. All feedback appreciated.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe these are India imports. If you get one, definitely have it checked out by an expert muzzleloading gunsmith. I got an India gun, and returned it the same day as unsafe to shoot.
    You get what you pay for. You can't buy good parts for their selling price, which should be a good clue. I suspect the lock would be mainly pot metal. Made more for hanging on a wall than actual use, in my opinion.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The details say the lock is casehardened, and the barrels are supposedly made from high pressure automobile steel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    automobile steel?
    As in Yugo?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Funny Hickory. I think they meant the smooth bore barrels are made out of high pressure gas line steel tubing.

Boolit Master
    @Waksupi.
    What was the reason you decided it was Unsafe to shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    Don't! There are too many good used guns around to risk blowing your hand off..

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @Waksupi.
    What was the reason you decided it was Unsafe to shoot?
    Breech plug was only threaded for a quarter inch, and the barrels were DOM tubing as others have mentioned. NOT safe for gun barrels, regardless of what some shade tree jack leg assemblers tell you. They are NOT seamless, but are welded and smoothed. Not something I would trust life or limb to.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thank you Waksupi.
    That now can save others the trouble of ordering one , and then just having to send it back.
    Or worse , having to take it to a Gunsmith to have it checked out .
    I would say the majority of persons that would lean towards buying one of these are New to the sport and not that experienced with safety checking what they buy .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Breech plug was only threaded for a quarter inch, and the barrels were DOM tubing as others have mentioned. NOT safe for gun barrels, regardless of what some shade tree jack leg assemblers tell you. They are NOT seamless, but are welded and smoothed. Not something I would trust life or limb to.
    And I would trust waksupi ,listen to a man that knows/nuff said Ed

Boolit Master
    That is why I asked him for his Opinion or observations.
    Trust the Pro's

Boolit Master

Exclamation

I would not even use an India made gun as a wall hanger. Drill your own touch hole? Yeah, right!
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 11-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I would not even use an India made gun as a wall hanger. Drill your own touch hole? Yeah, right!
    Even if you bought a muzzle loader from a good English maker, they would probably need the same thing. Big difference in import fees for functioning and non-functioning firearms.

Boolit Grand Master

I had to work on one one time and it was a *** Tubing barrel poor lock no spark cheap springs Just wall hangers!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I had to work on one one time and it was a *** Tubing barrel poor lock no spark cheap springs Just wall hangers!
    Yugo?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Me "I'll take a gas cap for my Yugo", Parts guy "Yeah that's a fair trade"

Don't know much about Indian imports but cheap is cheap and you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Even if you bought a muzzle loader from a good English maker, they would probably need the same thing. Big difference in import fees for functioning and non-functioning firearms.
    I don't know anything about English made guns. I was talking about India made guns, check my post. Thanks.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I don't know anything about English made guns. I was talking about India made guns, check my post. Thanks.
    what ric meant was strictly for shipping - without a touch hole drilled, it's not treated as a real gun during shipping and doesn't carry any legal issues. don't matter if the gun was shipped from india or england, over to here in the states.

Boolit Bub
    i have one i purchased and so far i've loaded it with some heavy loads as its a 20 gauge smooth bore shotgun flintlock and i've shot roundballs and 1 1/2oz of shot with 3f goex at 80grs so far so good!

From my experience with "Indian" guns Loyalist Arms are the best. I own two reproduction Bess's, one from Military Heritage and the other is from Loyalist Arms. The MH Bess required work, I had to get the lock tuned, frizzen hardened and touch-hole drilled. The smith also had to build up and lengthen the breech-plug threads. The LA Bess was ready to load right out of the box, nice fast lock. I used a brown stain to knock back the colours of the teak stocks. From what I have heard about MSV customers have some complaints regarding their service.