Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Speed green substitutes

Boolit Buddy

Speed green substitutes

Folks,
    Long ago a fellow in Alaska was selling sprue plate lube and a bullet lube called speed green. The sprue plate lube was incredibly effective and the boolit lube was great. Apparently he passed or something as the mail I sent came back undeliverable.
    What can be used to substitute?

Boolit Master
    That was Bullshop. The item was 'bull plate'. Many have substituted 2-cycle oil. Check out the Elvis Ammo videos on youtube where he uses a wiping rag impregnated with either bull plate or 2-cycle oil. I've tried that technique and it's pretty slick (pun intended).
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Many use the synthetic version of 2 stroke oil, myself included. It could be the synthetic stuff doesn't leave a build-up of residue over time?

Boolit Master
    For the shooting(boolit lube) part....

Bullshop's Speed Green
    3 Parts Beeswax by weight
    1 part Bullplate lube
    Melt wax and thoroughly Mix in Bulplate

You can either look over some of these lube recipes to find something similar:
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/LubeFormulae.html

Or, you can try to find something to replace the "bullplate" in the recipe above recipe.

G'Luck!

ETA - Bubbas Boat Lube on the link above looks to be similar & uses 2 cycle oil.

Bubba's Boat Lube
    6 Lbs Beeswax
    1 Qt 2 cycle Marine Oil
    Melt wax and thoroughly Mix

I can't say how well it works, but it is similar anyway. There may be some others to look over. Up to you to do it & decide what ya want to do though, Not me.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

I found Speed Green to be a tacky mess when applying it, as well as when reloading. It would get on my fingers and then get on everything I touched, very messy.
    When you contact Bullshop, ask him about Lotak, it's a very similar lube that works just as well as Speed Green, if not better, and isn't a tacky mess to deal with.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Folks,
    Long ago a fellow in Alaska was selling sprue plate lube and a bullet lube called speed green. The sprue plate lube was incredibly effective and the boolit lube was great. Apparently he passed or something as the mail I sent came back undeliverable.
    What can be used to substitute?
    Synthetic two stroke oil ... the best one I've found (at walmat) was from Green Earth Technologies , 2 cycle Bio-Synthetic , no smoke , no smell . I've tried others and this one works best (I'm no tree hugger , the stuff really works best). It was the cheapest . The tiny bottle I bought will probably last me a lifetime .
    It was about $1.99 at wally mart.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I found Speed Green to be a tacky mess when applying it, as well as when reloading. It would get on my fingers and then get on everything I touched, very messy.
    When you contact Bullshop, ask him about Lotak, it's a very similar lube that works just as well as Speed Green, if not better, and isn't a tacky mess to deal with.
    I made some, and still have most of it. I liked it but just haven't used it in quite a while. Mine is hard to the touch and wasn’t messy at all. It would need some heat to go through a lube sizer. I’m not sure why you had such a different result.

Boolit Grand Master

Lotak is a great lube. Bullshop sent me some to test before he brought it out. If there is any drawback to using it, it is that you have to fire a few shots to condition the bore and get the best accuracy.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I made some, and still have most of it. I liked it but just haven't used it in quite a while. Mine is hard to the touch and wasn’t messy at all. It would need some heat to go through a lube sizer. I’m not sure why you had such a different result.
    I did buy my first pound of Speed Green from Bullshop. Since I didn't make that pound, I wouldn't know for 100% sure that it was made precisely to the published recipe.
    Also, that Speed Green didn't need heat to go through a lubsizer.
    I can say, after that experience, I did make a 'almost' clone recipe with a couple added ingredients (lanolin & reduced JPW)...when that recipe gave me purge fliers, I reduced the oil content to eliminate that issue...Also, that mostly eliminated the tackiness issue I had with it. Then that's about the time Bullshop came out with Lotak...So I set aside the Speed Green and the Clone. I bought some Lotak and really like it, and still use Lotak for 22 cal, even though I use SL68B in everything else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Speed green is slightly lees than 1/3 oils to 16 ounces beeswax.... 5 ounces of added oils anymore and it with purge.

I am selling TAC1 bullet lube now in the VS section
    Last edited by randyrat; 01-22-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: change in statis

Moderator Emeritus

The last I heard Bullshop was in Dell, Montana. A more recent search could tell you what he is still selling if anything.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

Bull plate is still available. It's not listed on the website but if you email them they still have it. In fact I sent them an email this morning looking for some myself.

Boolit Master

I am selling a similar product if your interested in the VS section..As of today just PM me for prices and directions.

Mine is called "ZIP LUBE"

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I use Randy's tac-1 and it is a great lube. As for the sprue plate lube, it really don't take much. I have been using what was left of the zip lube
    in the making Tac-1. A little goes a long way.