Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 aftermarket trigger advice please

Boolit Master

10/22 aftermarket trigger advice please

Gentlemen and ladies:
    Wanting to change out the trigger on my 10/22. I've been surfing the net to see what's abailable. I do not shoot any competition, just compete against myself to better my skills and shoot better groups than the previous one.
    With that said, I see that there is the more affordable Ruger BX, as well as the more expensive ones like Timney, Volquartsen, Kidd.
    There is at least one trigger upgrade that you can buy as a kit, and replace the specific pieces of the trigger group.
    So, I was in Sportsmans Warehouse today and was about to walk to the cashier with the Ruger BX. The clear plastic packaged drop in trigger is provided with a hole on either side that allows for the hammer to be reset, and trigger to be pulled, to be able to check the trigger pull, take-up and overtravel. Well, I tried the trigger multiple times, and there was a lot of take-up and creep to get to the sear release, and then lots of over travel after the sear did release. I tried another trigger and it did the same thing. So, with that expansion, has anyone installed one of these triggers and found them to function as stated by Ruger?
    I really see no sense for me to buy one of the other expensive triggers when I don't shoot compitition. Besides, a couple of those triggers cost more than I paid for the rifle.
    Any input and expierience passed on would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

I like the idea of just buying the pieces you need.
    It goes along with my idea of 'save a buck where ya can'.

Years ago, I got aftermarket parts for the trigger group in a Rem700 ADL that were available at the time.
    A buddy got sort of mad at me because my cobbled together trigger was as good or maybe better
    than a drop in he put in his beloved Rem. Sendero at about triple the cost.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I put the Ruger BX in my ancient 10/22 awhile back and I’m totally satisfied with it.

Boolit Master
    I believe you would be happy with the drop in parts. All my 10-22 triggers are 100% Ruger parts but I reset the sear engagement angle and depth. Then I stone the sides and engagement surfaces smooth. Takes me about 20 minutes and trigger comes out 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. I like a two stage trigger so the pretravel is no issue and also do not use overtravel stops, but and overtravel screw is easily added. If you assemble the trigger parts on the outside of the trigger guard you can see the sear engagement and monitor your progress. If you mess up,just buy another set and go again, the Ruger parts are dirt cheap due to everyone replacing their parts or whole trigger assembly. I am not a bench shooter, my guns are squirrel guns and I plink clays at 200 yards for amusement at times. My “home grown” aren’t Kidd but they were free. If you buy the aftermarket parts set them on the outside and look at the engagement, then grind your original parts and see how they compare. Nothing to lose, good learning experience.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

EBay has Volquartsen kits for under $50, they give you about a 2.5lb trigger with just am improved hammer and springs, and some have the modified bolt release.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

I bought a Kidd 2 stage about 10 years ago.

I am squeaky cheap, placing the order was difficult.

Now very happy to have it.

The trigger shares zero parts interchangeable with the Ruger, except the entire unit. It also is much easier to rack with the hammer down if the lower rear edge of the bolt has been radiused.

Lesson? the sooner you buy, the more life you have to enjoy it.

Sure the Ruger can be improved with kits.

The Kidd is major league.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Send your trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing. About $35.00 to tune yours up, and really fast turnaound. Beats the Ruger replacement, and you can either add your own trigger stop (allen screw) or have them do it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I bought the Volquartson trigger kits by the dozen. If you just want a good trigger for plinking and hunting you can't go wrong. The only complaint I've had is a guy wanted me to put his old parts back because the trigger was to light. It was a little over 3lb and that was in base model with plastic trigger group. I paid around $25 for them but might have gotten volume pricing. It is the 10/22 Target Hammer Kit, hammer - springs and hammer shims. Easy instalation.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    I bought a Kidd 2 stage about 10 years ago.

I am squeaky cheap, placing the order was difficult.

Now very happy to have it.

The trigger shares zero parts interchangeable with the Ruger, except the entire unit. It also is much easier to rack with the hammer down if the lower rear edge of the bolt has been radiused.

Lesson? the sooner you buy, the more life you have to enjoy it.

Sure the Ruger can be improved with kits.

The Kidd is major league.
    Yup, I did the same. I love my two stage Kidd.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

if you just want better than stock, a volquartsen or power custom hammer alone will be much better. ive done both of those, reworked many, and they can be ok. im also a fan of the kidd 2 stage, it cant be beat. hard to swallow the cost, and therefore it doesnt suit everyones needs.

Boolit Master
    Put a power custom hammer in mine ,used std springs .trigger went from 7 lb to2.5 lbs cheapest trigger job unless you stone the hammer yourself .Lego for big kids.

I put a BX in ours, works great.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

One can also do a safe and satisfying DIY trigger job on the 10/22.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I put a BX in ours, works great.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    +1. Satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I am not using my 10/22’s for any type of competition, just all around fun rifles to plink or hunt with. The BX suits me fine. YMMV

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your input and passing on your expieriences.
    I'm going to start with honing the original hammer and polishing the sear and trigger.
    I have had expierience working on other trigger groups on my Mosin Nagant, 870 Remington and Savage in 223.
    If issues making it function to my satisfaction, I will be buying one of the aftermarket triggers.
    I realize I can't make the trigger group a Timney, Volquartsen or Kidd, but as I said in my original post, I just can't justify the cost for how I will be using the rifle.
    Regards
    Jack

I have been very happy with Volquartsen.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 2-stage Kidd triggers that are amazing, but I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase today.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I know if I was to buy one of those top of the line triggers, I would never stop kicking my own butt.

This has been a very enlightening post for me. I recently bought my wife a 10/22 and added a BX trigger and Magpul stock. New son bought a 10/22 action, Federer barrel, and Archangel stock. He added a TandenKross trigger kit to his. Will have to have the rifles together to compare. I am currently leaning toward a Brimstone tuned BX trigger for my build. But, I will experiment on the about to be scrapped original trigger first.
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast