Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: To GC or not to GC? A 10mm Question...

To GC or not to GC? A 10mm Question...

Anyone push 10mm past 1200 fps without gas checking -- and without a lot of leading?

I powder coat my boolits and I gas check anything going over about 1200 fps. But I only shoot high speed boolits in 44 mag, 357 Sig and Tokarev. Everything else is subsonic...

I'm looking at buying a 10mm revolver and am wondering if I should buy a GC mold or stick with my PB molds...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I load Lyman 401638, 401654 and 401043 in my Blackhawk 10/40 and my brother's Delta Elite, both PC'd and lubed. I do not exceed published max loads but it is easy to reach the trans 1200 fps range in 10MM. Leading is not an issue for me. With PC I don't use gas checks in heavy .357 or 44 Mag loads either.

Boolit Master

My hot/heavy LBT 201 gr. WFN go 1250 fps. No check. No leading at all. These are powder coated with Smoke's PC.

I had Veral cut one cavity with a GC. Knowing what I know now, I would have done all 4 plain base.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Grand Master

I bought 9mm , 357 magnum and 41 magnum moulds all cut for a gas check because I wanted to use a soft alloy (50-50 lead/ wheel weights) and drive the boolits over 1000 fps...the GC makes that much easier. In fact I have no leading problems with that alloy and 1000 fps + velocities . Now I do not do any powder coating so the GC is my method .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

You dont need a GC on a powder coated 10mm. Unless you try to use jacketed powders/loads.

I shoot PC PLAIN BASE bullets to 2000 fps regularly zero fouling associated with the bullet or its coating.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    You dont need a GC on a powder coated 10mm. Unless you try to use jacketed powders/loads.

I shoot PC PLAIN BASE bullets to 2000 fps regularly zero fouling associated with the bullet or its coating.

CW
    Good to know! I generally GC a boolit when I know it's going over about 1200 fps... I shoot a lot of 44 mag, 357 sig and tokarev. I gas check these after 1200 fps...

I also shoot a lot of 308, 8mm and 45-70 that are going well over 1200 fps and I gc all of them. With the loads I've developed, all of them shoot sub MOA and I am 99.99% sure my Marlin 1895 is capable of 1000 yard shots - just need the sight to be installed...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    No problems with strong loads and no GC in my Springfield Xdm 10mm. The NOE 402-170 TC at around 1200 is fine. My other .40 boolit profiles have also proven OK at 10mmm velocities. A GC is good insurance, but I see no need for one here.