WidenersPBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old machine

New old machine

Hello this is my first post here .

I would like to start by saying the information I have learned has helped me start to learn a great deal about the endless processes of casting and loading Boolits . He he love saying Boolits .
    I hope I’m not posting inappropriately. Being a new noob on your forum , please forgive my ignorance.

I would like to ask a question about my New , yet Old Boolit luber / sizer. Does anyone of the very knowledgeable persons here know what model of Ideal / maybe layman my luber sizer is ? Any and all information would be appreciated.
    Thanks Dan ( Traderdan )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E65EB3F8-432A-48CE-A9A3-AB23D276D82F.jpg   9300319A-A768-4D09-835B-F9EE7F5A7F0D.jpg   9B8646C4-E333-4D90-944E-C631DF765487.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Looks similar to a Star bullet luber, yet not a Star.

I don't really know.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 11-24-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Banned
    Dan, for some reason my 'puter never indicated you posted here.

You have the famous Ideal No.1 lubricating press from 1902 till 1947. It is the granddaddy of the Lyman 450/4500 lubesizers. Dies, top punch and piston parts are interchangeable.
    If the handle address is Middletown Conn it was made by Lyman after 1926. There is a lot more information in the casting tools forum under one of the Sticky posts.
    Yours is missing the two most commonly lost parts, the bench clamp and handle to turn the pressure screw. Finding replacements is difficult and requires plenty of just dumb luck.
    Ken

Boolit Master

I still use one from time to time just for the fun of it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    It’s the first model Ideal lubricator sizer. The picture doesn’t show the two unattached parts that Re commonly separated from the unit, the wooden handled wrench and the unique double pronged C-clamp to secure it to bench or shelf. It takes the same sizing dies as the current 4500, they aren’t identical but they work. For instance, I have one of these presses set up to size and lube bullets for my 50 Maynard.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, three posts in 9 minutes... I’ve gotta learn to type faster!

This is the Sizer I use...when I got mine I had to take it all apart and Boil the Nickle Plated Cylinder to get the old hardened Lube out of it.

I have not used mine to Lube while sizing...I have so far only used it for Sizing.

Takes the same Sizing Dies as later Models.

There should be a sort of lazy "Y" shaped Clamp for clamping it to the Loading Bench Top overhang.

I can post a picture of this if you need to see what it looks like.

Boolit Grand Master

The handle for the turn screw is easily made from and old faucet handle and the bench screw will have to be manufactured. I restored and used one of these years ago and they will work for light sizing but don't try to size down lino very far 2 thou at best. I have a lathe and milling machine so I duplicated the old parts on mine from drawings in the catalog.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that this thread is resurrected I’ll chime in again and agree that this unit lacks the leverage and sheer beef of the later models, especially the current 4500, but with soft lube and bullets within a couple of thousandths of finished size, they still soldier on. Keep in mind that the newest ones are about 80 years old though, and treat them with the respect they deserve.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Sometimes you can find a ratchet handle that has a 1/4" square hole in it. I lost my handle in a move and in one of my dads ratchet sets there was just that sort of ratchet handle or a 1/4" ratchet with 1/4" socket would most likely work just as well. Frank

I know this is an older thread but I have the opportunity to buy an ideal made in 1900. Do you have any insight? I'm new to casting and just want something that works and I can get parts for thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have, and still use, an orange No.45.

No idea how old it is but it has that handle on it.

This one is black and has MFG in 00. So you can use all the dies from 450 ? What about heating the lube? I'm new to this and trying to learn.

Banned

Welcome to the forums, you came to the right place for info on casting/reloading. These folks know their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by irockcu2 View Post
    This one is black and has MFG in 00. So you can use all the dies from 450 ? What about heating the lube? I'm new to this and trying to learn.

Well before I built my cheesy heater I just pointed a ceramic heater at it and adjusted the distance to suit worked great. Might be just the ticket to start out it was winter and my reloading room is a little chilly

Mine is in the house but I figured I would have to do that outside,is it messy?

Banned
    irockcu2, how do you know what year it was made? There are no dates on them. If the name/address on the handle is Ideal, New Haven Conn then it was made by Ideal, 1902-1910 or Marlin, 1910-1915 and Ideal under Talcott, 1915-1926. There appears no way to narrow the date of production closer than that.
    After 1926/27 the address is Ideal Middlefield, Conn. These are made by Lyman and production continued until after WW2 when it became the 45.

If you can post a picture it would really be appreciated.

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_B746AC76-8927-40FE-B8B9-8F988B6768D8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	265460

Banned
    Great, thank you. Yours is a Lyman. Lyman took over the Ideal line in mid-1926. How much actual inventory they received is unknown, though the supply of new Ideal tools was just a mere dribble up to that time.

The best part of your deal is the bench clamp and the handle to turn the piston. These are almost always missing.

They are great tools that served boolit casters well for 45 years.
    I like to use them with a soft lube and smaller boolits. They are strong, but I just don't feel like breaking anything. Treat it will and it will return the favor.

If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you a copy of the instructions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great find irockcu2! Getting a complete set with clamp and wrench, as friend Ken already told you, is a very unusual find! I find that using the old 50-50 Alox-Beeswax lube (from Lyman, Tamarack, etc) or something equally soft, and sizing bullets a maximum of .002" mine does great. I haven't fooled around with trying to add heat to this old warrior yet... it just doesn't seem necessary (or appropriate!) Right now mine has a die to size my soft lead alloy 50 caliber Maynard bullets about .001" and add 50-50 lube and it does great.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast