Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Auto rim

Boolit Buddy

Auto rim

Having the correct shell holder, can .45 auto rim loaded with .45 auto dies?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Generally the answer is yes. I've done it with Lee and Lyman, don't see why it couldn't be done with others.

Boolit Master
    yes,
    and with my old smith .45 cal, I interchange auto-rim and 45acp, the smith doesnt care if you shoot rimmed or acp brass, the extraction is the only difference

Boolit Master

I have .45 ACP Redding dies and I load Auto Rim with them without adjustment except for bullet weight and shape. Just switch out the shell holder and have at it. james

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can also use .455 Webley dies if you have them.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

You might want to measure your revolver throats. If yours are oversize, you may wish to use a larger diameter bullet. In this case, you might be happier using a different sizing die, like a 45 Colt, 455 Webley, etc. The Lee 45 Colt carbide size die is the same as supplied with their 455 set. It would be a good choice.
    Also, a Lyman M expander die would also be in order.

Seems to be more of an issue with the S&W 25-2, rather than the pre-model number 1955 targets, or "some" of the newer stainless models (too many for me to keep track of!).

Jim

Boolit Master
    One other issue with a lot of .45 ACP dies is lack of ability to roll crimp. A taper crimp sometimes won't hold a bullet in place especially with a very light gun or very heavy loads.

Lee will make a Carbide Factory Crimp die for .45 AR on request....$29.00 I believe...

When you come up with a load, fire 5 rounds and inspect the 6th one for bullet creep...

Bob

I’ve used both my Lee Set and my RCBS set to load 45AR. Appropriate shell holder is the only requirement. I agree with the above post for a roll crimp, however, the LEE FCD die has also not let me down with my PC 625. Happy Loading!

Boolit Buddy
    In 1975, I bought a Model 25 S&W. Ran into the issue of needing to apply a roll crimp using RCBS 45 ACP dies. Ended up shaving the top off a RCBS Auto Rim shellholder. 45ACP seating die, would then roll crimp the Auto Rim case. Still use the same combination.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I taper crimp all my Auto Rim ammo using a .45 ACP Redding taper crimp die. It has not been necessary to re-adjust the die setting when switching back and forth from ACP to Auto Rim. I'd have to review old notes to be sure, but I think accuracy is slightly better with the taper crimp as compared with a roll crimp.

RCBS sells a roll crimp die for auto rim. Very handy if you are loading Keith boolits in AR brass. FWIW if you are loading on a Dillion you can turn a .45 colt shell plate upside down and use it for auto rim.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My Hornady die box is marked for 45 Auto/45 AR/45 Win Mag. Not sure about the crimp as I seat and taper crimp in separate operations.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

I have loaded a LOT of .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim. I load on a Dillon 550B. I use Lee dies with a factory crimp die. The factory crimp die for .45 ACP comes with an insert that produces a taper crimp. However, you can buy a roll crimp insert along with the needed spacer direct from Lee. It is very easy to change (you don't even have to remove the die from the tool head of the press). The cost was about $7.50, as I remember.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy

I use the proper shell holder on my Lee breach-lock press (#13). Then my RCBS 45 acp dies up to and including the seating stage. Then I use a Redding 45 profile crimp die which will make a roll crimp. I use bullets that either have a cannelure or crimp groove when using the profile crimp die.

Super Moderator

I also load 45AR on a Dillon 550B. I use Lyman 45ACP dies, but at the crimp station I switch to the Redding profile crimp die for a roll crimp. I primarily use the 454424 which has a crimp groove. I use the regular Lyman taper crimp die when loading 45 ACP.

Except for the shell holder being different, you can use .45 ACP dies to load .45 win mag, 45 Colt, .454, .460 S&W, .45 Schofield, and .45 Auto Rim.

I have used RCBS 45ar dies for years. Load acp type cast target style wadcutter, that isn't a real WC. No problems with crimp.

Boolit Buddy

I’ve used ACP dies for .455, as well as the A R and ACP, and 45Colt.