Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: I need Browning 1886 advise

Boolit Bub

I need Browning 1886 advise

I picked up a beautiful Browning 1886 rifle, octagon barrel, which has been modified by Turnbull. Specifically the barrel and mag tube shortened to 20", stock refinished in a really nice Winchester red finish, all the blueing either redone or its pristine. It looks and points great. Lock up is tight. Took to the range today and had solid results for accuracy. However, I believe its had some trigger work. The trigger breaks nicer than any of my other three 1886s but part of that nice break is a weak hammer. It failed on half my rounds to ignite the primer. After a misfire if i cocked and fired again usually the round would fire. The hammer feels weak. Rounds that failed in this rifle fired no problem in another 1886.

Now I figure I can replace a mainspring with a stronger, stock spring. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Should I just take it to a smith and let him figure it out. I tend to be pretty hands on. I like to work on my own stuff. Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share in this area.

Wayne

Replace the spring first, and go from there. You might be surprised.

Boolit Buddy
    sounds like a hammer spring (main spring) problem. i think the 1886 main spring is a coil spring. if it is you can add a small washer to one end of the main spring. this will add more weight (power) to push the hammer foward. this is what we do on marlins hammer springs when the sear is worked on to much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by surfanarchist View Post
    I picked up a beautiful Browning 1886 rifle, octagon barrel, which has been modified by Turnbull. Specifically the barrel and mag tube shortened to 20", stock refinished in a really nice Winchester red finish, all the blueing either redone or its pristine. It looks and points great. Lock up is tight. Took to the range today and had solid results for accuracy. However, I believe its had some trigger work. The trigger breaks nicer than any of my other three 1886s but part of that nice break is a weak hammer. It failed on half my rounds to ignite the primer. After a misfire if i cocked and fired again usually the round would fire. The hammer feels weak. Rounds that failed in this rifle fired no problem in another 1886.

Now I figure I can replace a mainspring with a stronger, stock spring. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Should I just take it to a smith and let him figure it out. I tend to be pretty hands on. I like to work on my own stuff. Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share in this area.

Wayne
    First place I would look is the firing pin assembly - have a Browning model 71 348 that messed up and gave light strikes then no strike - (1990's vintage) - they have a two piece firing pin with a blocking mechanism Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browning 71 firing pin.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	250202
    these bits are now in my spare parts never to be used file - I converted it over to a solid firing pin and no further problems - my rifle has the half cock notch on the hammer so this lawyer inspired cr*p was of no use at all.
    Later models (recent manufacture) will be different (rebounding hammer and no half cock maybe?)
    Use Federal primers for your reloads will help
    strengthening up the main spring will take away some of that nice trigger break I reckon.
    Watch some videos on disassembling before you go at it with screwdriver and hammer - first time round an 86 is not easy

Boolit Bub
    Right now it breaks like a competition trigger. Maybe thats what the former owner was aiming for. Its a Browning so i dont have any rebounding hammer to deal with.

Currently it leaves a decent dimple on the primer. It could be a firing pin issue but i think , from the light tension i feel pulling back the hammer, that the spring has to be checked first.
    Last edited by surfanarchist; 10-26-2019 at 07:34 AM.