Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooly caterpillars and winter predictions?

Boolit Master

Wooly caterpillars and winter predictions?

I remember seeing something on the internet a while ago about examining the colors of the Wooly Caterpillars here in the Northwest and being able to predict how harsh the coming winter will be.

Anyone else heard that?

Anyway, was out elk hunting a couple of weeks ago and came across a caterpillar and took a photo. From what I can find, more black than orange means a harsher winter. More orange than black means a milder winter.

This little guy was pretty much even, so I guess a "normal" winter...

Attachment 250197
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I used to have faith in the wooly bears....

Then, after walking around a bit, I realized they can't even tell if a car is coming, much less winter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Maybe it is going to snow inside my barn this year, it is loaded with those fuzzy little buggers.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    The first wooly worm I saw this fall was completely black...no red at all. The old wives tale was that that meant it was going to be an exceptionally bad winter. Saw two more yesterday and they were more normal looking, meaning a normal winter. I'm going to go with the best two out of three.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    The first wooly worm I saw this fall was completely black...no red at all. The old wives tale was that that meant it was going to be an exceptionally bad winter. Saw two more yesterday and they were more normal looking, meaning a normal winter. I'm going to go with the best two out of three.
    That was what I was told as a young lad. The more black the worse the Winter. This year I have seen black ones, but also seen the mixed ones...

Only the Lord knows what we're gonna get...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

Then, after walking around a bit, I realized they can't even tell if a car is coming, much less winter.
    Got a laugh out of me
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    My father in law used to predict the winters by the how high the yellow jackets built their nests in the trees. I never saw much to make me believe the yellow jackets knew any better than I did what the winter was going to be like. I've come to the belief that nothing, man or beast can predict the weather with certainty other than when the weatherman says it will be windy. They never get that wrong.

Heard that old wives tail all my life don't think it would be discribed as an accurate prediction just life the chubby groundhog seeing it's shadow in February . Btw the wooly's I've been seeing this fall are black as coal still hoping for a mild winter
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

The all black caterpillars are a different species. They are from the Isabella moth IIRC.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I predict in the northern states we will see snow, wind and cooler temperatures.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    I predict in the northern states we will see snow, wind and cooler temperatures.
    lol I'd lay money on that prediction.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

When people start skinning them for a coat then you can worry .

Boolit Grand Master

Our weatherman has a PHD from some fancy university and calls himself a Meteorologist ...
    The Wooly Worms do just as good a job at predicting the weather as he does .
    It's all a crap shoot .

We had a weatherman , years ago , that looked at all the maps and predictions from the Metorological studies,,,then he would go out the back door with an umbrella and a pair sunglasses in his pocket ...if he opened the umbrella it was raining... if the umbrella stayed shut it wasn't...if he put on sun glasses the sun was bright... I loved that guy !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    weatherman , years ago , that looked at all the maps and predictions from the Metorological studies,,,then he would go out the back door with an umbrella and a pair sunglasses in his pocket ...if he opened the umbrella it was raining... if the umbrella stayed shut it wasn't...if he put on sun glasses the sun was bright... I loved that guy !
    Here, we use the Texas A & M 'Aggie' weather station.
    It's basically a rock suspended on a string.

If you go out and see that the rock is wet--- it's raining.
    If the rock is swinging back & forth--- the wind is blowing.
    If the rock is white---- it's snowing.
    If the rock is gone--- you're in a tornado.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The colors are suppose to predict the winter. All 0)Black means a long bad winter. The brown means a mild winter. Black brown black means winters starts bad, mild hrough the middle then turns bad again before spring. Brown, black means mild, bad,,mild.

I do not go by the wooly. I seen too many different color pattern on them. My grand farther had use to say what the weather will be for the year then I got it out of him how he is able to say .He said the 6 days before Christmas and the 6 days after Christmas will tell you the weather is for each month that each day is the month and then you write down what that day is going on and then you will have about 80% of what the weather will be I found out .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    We have them all over our yard but they have been wrong too many times. I am expecting a hard winter all over the Northern Hemisphere this and the next two winters but not the mini-ice age some real climate scientists predict (not the ones getting gov't grants to predict warming). I even picked up a new set of cross country skis betting on the upcoming hard winter.
    In my neighborhood, everything has been three weeks early including leaf drop, first killing frosts, apple ripening, and more. Our local bucks are going into rut right on time, however, and our northern ducks haven't migrated in yet but if the widgeons show up next week that would be two weeks early for this flyway.

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Ha ha ha. LOL. Good one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Hahahaha! You got a side job as a weatherman/meteorologist?

Very Funny!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Here, we use the Texas A & M 'Aggie' weather station.
    It's basically a rock suspended on a string.

If you go out and see that the rock is wet--- it's raining.
    If the rock is swinging back & forth--- the wind is blowing.
    If the rock is white---- it's snowing.
    If the rock is gone--- you're in a tornado.
    We have always called that a "Weather Rock".. Works right fine for those who do not need to plan for the future & prefer to just deal with whatever comes in...

Those who need a bit more specificity & longer term outlook are just screwed.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast