RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tru-Line JR

Boolit Grand Master
    Be still my racing froggie heart! All those Red Heads are mind boggling. I really don't understand there being the huge disparity between the relatively rare RH presses and what should be expected to more common, the TL Jr(??)

BTW, I just got in touch once again with CC Johnson's grandson Jerry who has promised to help me track down some of the less known info about the production of the Red Head. We've got a thread going over on the ARTCA Forum about it, but I'll try to keep the Boolit Guys abreast with any good developments on that as well.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    East of the Stick Marsh, East Coast of Florida
    I do own a Tru-Line Jr., but do not use it. It was given to me earlier this summer and is on display in my reloading/gun room. I did start out on a 310 Tool loading .38/357 and .45 ACP. When I got my .44 Mag, I graduated to a Lyman Spar-T. I used that for about a dozen years then picked up a Dillon Square Deal B. I have since gone back to the Lyman fold with the Turret Press with changeable heads.

I my gun library I have many catalogs. One of which is a Herters, when I buy what I think is collectable stuff, I look to see if it is in there first.
    USMC 1969-1993

Banned
    Everything Herter's is collectible, it's the best, none better.

Boolit Mold
    East of the Stick Marsh, East Coast of Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Everything Herter's is collectible, it's the best, none better.
    I have two rooms of collectible stuff that are firearms related. Just starting to make room for other things. Just sold a Star reloading press complete with three sets of dies.
    USMC 1969-1993

Banned
    Should you ever get the opportunity to visit the land of Herter's, stop by and you will see what it really means to have two rooms full of collectible stuff. I have 99.8% of every reloading tool Herter's made.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I like a lot of the older loading tools and have picked up a few presses just because they were cheap and vintage. I found 2 of the TL jrs for $10 each at a Restore Store. Also picked up several partial dies sets but not sure if I have a complete set of anything yet. Other presses I have managed to get are a Star in 38spl, an old Texan progressive in 12 ga, a CH three die press and a Lyman AA. Today I just bought a Bonanza Co Ax. Some of the older presses are way over engineered and it's fun to use some of these.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I like a lot of the older loading tools and have picked up a few presses just because they were cheap and vintage. I found 2 of the TL jrs for $10 each at a Restore Store. Also picked up several partial dies sets but not sure if I have a complete set of anything yet. Other presses I have managed to get are a Star in 38spl, an old Texan progressive in 12 ga, a CH three die press and a Lyman AA. Today I just bought a Bonanza Co Ax. Some of the older presses are way over engineered and it's fun to use some of these.
    Sounds like you are well and truly hooked, rbuck351. Next you’ll be buying die sets for guns you don’t have “yet” and all sorts of neat accessories. Then “just one more” press because of its special features or history, and then, and then... Better run away if you still can!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    It's too late, I already have dies with no gun "yet", more powder throwers, scales, presses and other loading equipment than makes any sense. Today I picked up the Bonanza CO AX from the auction place that came with two scales, two powder measures and a few other bits and pieces for $40. I am hooked and just can't resist a good deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    It's too late, I already have dies with no gun "yet", more powder throwers, scales, presses and other loading equipment than makes any sense. Today I picked up the Bonanza CO AX from the auction place that came with two scales, two powder measures and a few other bits and pieces for $40. I am hooked and just can't resist a good deal.
    Welcome to the club!

Froggie

On the Tru Line JR they made full length size dies. Are they marked as such.
    I ask because I have seen a lot of 310 dies the ads call full length size dies. A lot or for bottle neck rifle dies. Some for straight wall pistol cases.
    I looked at one for a 38/357. In one pic it showed the top of the dies. It wasn't threaded. I could see some writing on the die. I couldn't really see it well but could make an FL at the end.
    I assume this one may be advertised right. Just wanted to check with the experts on this.
    I have a 310 set for 38/357. adding the FL die is an interesting idea.
    There is also a .358 bullet size die advertised. I think they want too much for that.
    I also saw an old Lyman Shell Trimmer. This is interesting too. I may buy this.
    Does it work well. It looks simple to use.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Full length case sizing dies were only made for some straight sided cases (mostly pistol calibers) and will be marked FL in all cases I have seen. Don't let some yo yo sell you a bullet sizing die as a full length case sizing die! Also, it is not a good idea to try to FL size with 310 handles... not enough leverage.

Froggie

PS AFAIK, Lyman didn't make FL TL Jr sizing dies for bottle neck cases... if they did, they were very rare!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Full length case sizing dies were only made for some straight sided cases (mostly pistol calibers) and will be marked FL in all cases I have seen. Don't let some yo yo sell you a bullet sizing die as a full length case sizing die! Also, it is not a good idea to try to FL size with 310 handles... not enough leverage.

Froggie

PS AFAIK, Lyman didn't make FL TL Jr sizing dies for bottle neck cases... if they did, they were very rare!
    Froggie, I am holding in my hot little non amphibian hands, a die marked, "LYMAN 25/20 SS FL. Appears unused.
    Other stuff in the Black and Gray Lyman box; #6 Truline shell holder, #49 310 priming die, 25/20 RPTR seating die, #12 bushing, .257 310 neck expander, (2) decappers for the FL die, one w/o an expander ball and one with a .257 expander ball.
    Hope this does not make you even greener.

Boolit Grand Master
    No, but it does remind me that with all things Lyman, “never say never!” I’m wondering, though, what the heck was Lyman doing selling a “set” for 25-20 SS in the black and grey box era??? I wonder whether they threw together stuff that would work for a special order or whether the contents of the box are just what somebody put together for themselves. BTW, the PC for that SS should be a #19. Could that be what you have? I’ve never hear of a PC numbered over 30.

As I’ve been typing, I recall seeing reference in some of the old catalogs to the availability of a “limited number” of FL sizers for some small rifle cartridges. Since the 25-20 SS is tapered rather than bottle necked, it would be a good candidate. Your FL sizing die is definitely a rare item though.

Froggie

Froggie, I think the primer may be a #19. The numbers are very small and the serif on the 1 is comparatively quite large, thus my mistaken eyewitness account.
    None of the markings on the box are stamped but the end is written 25/20SS and the top is written 3 lines in a different hand, FL, 25/20SS tong & jr, JR S. HOLDER
    I got them not long ago on the Swap and Sell of this site for about $45.

Boolit Grand Master
    “Curiouser and curiouser.” A great find for a 25-20 SS shooter or a collector of Lyman esoterica. Congrats!

Froggie

Banned
    Ideal/Lyman is probably the most intruiging tools to collect as there seems to be no end to the odd variations and one off's that yield no rational explanation for why?? As in an un-numbered for caliber tong tool. We may never solve that puzzle.

From what I understand about how firearms and related equipment manufacturers did things back then you could order almost anything.
    So with that in mind a lot of the odd stuff that comes up would explain the "why". Lots of people think they have an idea that is better than what the factories make. Wildcats as they are called now. Manufactures would build equipment for those ideas.
    Back then companies were run by gun people and would do these things. Now they are run by bean counters that won't.
    There are specialized companies out there that will help you build your dream. If you can afford it.
    Leo

I did buy the Ideal Shell trimmer. It is interesting. It really fits well with the 310 and Tru Line Jr tools.
    You can rough adjust for length with the screw that holds the pieces together. The cutter slips in from one end.
    On the other end from the cutter is a small knob with a hole through the middle. A bit smaller than a small primer. You set an unprimed down over this knob.
    The cutter has interchangeable pilots. The pilots have what looks like a decapping pin on the end. I assume this pin slips through the primer hole, then through the knob in the primer hole.
    This will help keep the case straight when cutting.
    The one pilot I have fits inside of a 22 caliber case. I tried it on some range pick up 223 cases. Seems to cut just fine.
    The pilots are a slip fit up into the cutter head and a set screw holds them in place. It wouldn't be hard to make them. I might try that. Drilling the hole for the pin won't be hard. Turning down the end that goes up into the cutter will be tough.
    I have the pilots for the Lee trimmer, I'll have to see if they fit.
    Ah, Yes they will. The threaded portion of the Lee pilot just fits into the cutter, and is long enough to reach the set screw. I don't have to make any.
    with the Lee trimmer you can't easily adjust the trim length. The case holder prevents that. Using the Lee pilots in this trimmer the pin has nothing to stop against. The adjustments on the frame and the cutter allow you to trim to the length you need.
    On the cutter is a threaded lock ring to fine tune the length.
    Holding it in your hand works. You have to hold the case in place. The tool has no way to lock the cases in place. This is a bit awkward, you can hold the tool in a vise. This will make it pretty much like a bench mounted trimmer.
    I guess I ought to get some pics to post.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, pics please. That sounds intriguing.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    I really think everyone with a 310 or Tru-Line Jr should have one of the old Ideal trimmers. They are complimentary to each other.

Ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast