Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tru-Line JR

Lyman Shell Trimmer

Here are some pics.
    #1 is the parts. #1 is the handle to turn the cutter head. #2 is the Pilot. #3 is the cutter head. #4 is the frame. The knurled knob on the bottom is for the coarse adjustment.
    #2 is parts 1,2,3 put together.
    #3 shows the hole the cutter goers into.
    #4 shows the knob the primer pocket sets over.
    #5 shows the fine adjustment nut.
    #6 shows with the case in place as you would when trimming.
    Holding everything in place by hand to trim is possible but much easier if once adjusted you mout the frame in a vise. This way you only have to hold the case.
    Leo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman Shell Trimmer 001.5.jpg   Lyman Shell Trimmer 002.5.jpg   Lyman Shell Trimmer 003.5.jpg   Lyman Shell Trimmer 004.5.jpg   Lyman Shell Trimmer 005.5.jpg  

Lyman Shell Trimmer 006.5.jpg  

Thanks for that. I didn't even know that tool existed.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Nor did I. I don't remember seeing it in any of my old catalogues either.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Wayne, if you have 310's you need one.

Banned

I have a True Line Jr that is in great shape and came to me with heads to use standard dies and the 310 dies. I have never used it.

The plan was to set up my Lee four die set for .22 Hornet and leave it set up. I've kind of let loading for the Hornet slip, still using ammo I loaded a long time ago, but I will get this press set up. Recently got into the .218 Bee and .25-20 so may need to set up dies for those too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have a True Line Jr that is in great shape and came to me with heads to use standard dies and the 310 dies. I have never used it.

The plan was to set up my Lee four die set for .22 Hornet and leave it set up. I've kind of let loading for the Hornet slip, still using ammo I loaded a long time ago, but I will get this press set up. Recently got into the .218 Bee and .25-20 so may need to set up dies for those too.
    Fortunately, neither of those calibers is all that hard to find on flea Bay, etc. BTW, since they are usually neck size only, I know of folks who have loaded both 25-20 SS and WCS with the same dies. If you start with a set of WCF dies, I can just about guarantee it will work for both.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Fortunately, neither of those calibers is all that hard to find on flea Bay, etc. BTW, since they are usually neck size only, I know of folks who have loaded both 25-20 SS and WCS with the same dies. If you start with a set of WCF dies, I can just about guarantee it will work for both.

Froggie
    My plan is to use the tool head that uses standard dies. I do have a 310 set for .22 Hornet, and somewhere in my Dad's stuff is a .310 set for .25-20 Single shot, which I didn't inherit a rifle so chambered (though he had several at one time), I'm gonna hold on to those.

I only neck size Hornet and will likely do the same for the Bee and .25-20. Seems like that little press ought to be perfect for those little cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 310's and a couple of TrueLine Jr's - I'll keep looking! That's why I asked for pics.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a Lyman 46th manual. In there is a chapter on the Lyman history. Not complete of course but covers a lot of their tooling.
    I think reading that book when I first got started was where I saw this trimmer. They also used to market quite a few tools they don't now.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve read everything about Lyman and Ideal history I have been able to get my hands on, and this is my first hint about this tool. It could have made it by me if it was in a borrowed book I read fast, but I doubt it. I don’t think it had a very long run.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 12-11-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Correct typos

Banned
    It's written up in one of the Journals you have. Bentramrod did a nice article about it and how it works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, pressman. I obviously haven’t thoroughly been through all of them yet. Can you tell me the approximate time frame of production of this unit? How about numbers produced? I can’t believe it has totally eluded me all these years... as you know, I thrive on weird!

Froggie

Green Frog, do you have access to a Lyman 46th loading manual? It's in there, honest.
    This isn't the first one I've seen on Ebay. After getting as much Ideal.Lyman 310/ Tru Line JR stuff over the last couple years this item seemed like a good adition to the collection.
    I'm adding 310/Tru Line JR bullet size dies and shell size dies for the calibers I load for.
    Leo

Banned
    I have not tried to narrow it down to years produced, other than the 1950's/60's. I am sure production ceased with the Leisure Products take over in '69.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    It's written up in one of the Journals you have. Bentramrod did a nice article about it and how it works.
    Thanks, Ken. I found the article in the Oct 2015 issue that I assume you are referring to. I don’t have a clue how I’ve missed this item all these years, but that’s why I keep coming back!

After having studied the article closely, I’ve decided that it would look good on my shelf to display, but as I’ve said before, I work hardest to get tools I can actually see myself using, and if said tools are classic or at least sort of old, so much the better. This one looks a little too tedious to use compared to the lathe-type like a Forster.

Froggie

Banned
    You still need one, just because it is so eccentric.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    You still need one, just because it is so eccentric.
    I resemble that remark!

Boolit Grand Master
    I must admit that trimming cases to length is not one of the tasks I perform frequently... maybe having that unit sitting on the shelf available to trim cases at a moment's notice would reduce the frequency to none! This could be a good thing.

Froggie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123