Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tru-Line JR

Tru-Line JR

I didn't start out using Lyman's 310 or Tru-Line JR. I came to them late in my loading. I find using these tools to be a very pleasurable way to load. They let me link up with those who used these tools before.
    I have used more modern presses with more strength and power and I like them. They just don't have ?? something these older tools do.
    I have gotten 310 sets for everything I load for as well as a few I don't.
    A few years ago I picked up a Tru-Line JR. It came with die sets for 30-06 and 270. These are Tru-Line specific dies.
    Just recently I learned this press was a Gen l.
    I found a Gen ll at a price I thought was good. Not great but good. It came with the box, instructions and a sheet that listed a lot of places that sold Lyman products.
    This sheet was dated 1959. So I assume this press was made around then too.
    When I got it out of the box I was impressed. It was a better deal than I thought. It was in very good shape. Paint is near perfect and very little of the bluing on the post shows wear.
    I haven't gotten my "new" press set up yet, it will be mostly used for 44Mag. The other is set up for 38/357.
    I will enjoy them for as long as I have them. After that I hope spmeone else can enjoy them as much as I have.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Howdy Leo, it sounds like you and I have gotten to just about the same place by vastly different means. The first press my father and I loaded on was a late TL Jr hand-me-down from an uncle (Dad's brother-in-law) who had moved up to an All American. I've gone the route through various "full size" single stage and turret presses as well as a Dillon and a Star Progressive, but I still go back to my old TL Jr to load 32 S&W Longs because it "just seems so right." I'm to the point where I have a bunch of presses now, but that first TL Jr stays bolted to the corner of the bench as others come and go.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I inherited a Gen II Junior from my Dad. Despite having many hundreds of $$$ tied up in more modern and more powerful presses, I still do pistol loading on the Junior. Dad had had a shop chum open up his turret to take 7/8 dies, probably in the 1960s. He loaded .35 Remington on it for his deer rifle.* I subsequently bought a new turret from a guy in PA which takes six 7/8 dies, not four, so my setups for .38/.357 and 9mm never have to be disturbed.

Below is the self-contained reloading station I built when I was living in an apartment, with the Junior mounted inside. That was over 20 years ago. Still using it.

The tong tool is one of many that I have acquired and use. Mostly for decapping, but my entire setup for loading .32 Long Colt is based on a tong tool.

*The deer rifle was a Marlin 336. He wasn't a wealthy man, and Mother begrudged him every dime he spent on hunting gear. I still feel the connection when using his Junior, even though he left us in 1995.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Reloading Box.JPG  
    Cognitive Dissident

I didn't know any one that reloaded when I was young. I was introduced to loading when I was in the Air Force.
    A friend loaded his own for a Ruger Security Six. I bought a Ruger SBH. I bought a set of Redding dies and a shell holder and he showed me how he loaded. Some of his ways of doing things just didn't seem right.
    I very soon bought an RCBS Rockchucker press and a Lyman manual. This was in 78.
    After reading the book I realized that my friend was not so bright. The way he did things was kinda scary.
    Anyway I survived, and as far as I know so did he.
    Over the years I have used that RCBS press with several brands of dies with great success.
    I had collected several other press and other tooling. and lost them in moving around.
    Now I'm settled in one place and have collected up much of what I lost. Some things I didn't replace. Things I found I didn't like.
    Mostly older stuff. I have found good stuff at local gun shows and auctions. I found a Redding press kit that I would have bought for $170 but a friend did so he could get a good start.
    the kit had the press, scale, primer flipper, powder funnel. a RCBS loading guide. The only thing it didn't have was a measure. I loaned him one of mine.
    Leo

Nice list, but no Tru-Line Junior?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    While we're wandering down memory lane Leo, I'll mention that I had early exposure to the big old Herter's catalog which of course had the best of everything in it, didn't it" Anyway, it warped my thinking to the point where I look first to Lyman, next to Herter's (even though long out of business) for my reloading equipment unless it's something I know is proprietary to a certain manufacturer. I'm still buying "obsolete" stuff just because it has more character, IMHO. I also enjoy loading in ways nobody does now but others used to in the past. I guess I'm either old school or just weird!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up on the Herter's catalog, too, Froggie. Didn't let it warp me though. It has only been recently that I got addicted to the TruLine Jr. and Bair products!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I grew up on the Herter's catalog, too, Froggie. Didn't let it warp me though. It has only been recently that I got addicted to the TruLine Jr. and Bair products!
    Wayne, don't get me started on how many other rabbit holes I'be gone down, with Pacific/Bair powder measures being a prime example. I'm still hoping to tool up and make some rotors for them some day if I can only "get a round tuit." Have you got any duplicate rotors to swap yet? I think I have one or two now. There was a really nice measure with two rotors on flea Bay lately, I noticed.

Froggie

Banned
    I got my reloading start with a 310 and upgraded to the Try-Line Jr within a year. I really wanted an All American but an 18 year old could only afford so much back then. I had no one in my family that was a shooter or reloader so everything I knew about reloading came from Guns and Guns & Ammo magazines.
    By 1989 I was in need of modernizing my reloading tools when I was introduced to Herter's and was given a Model 3 and a 1964 catalog, I have been chasing rabbits down holes ever since.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Wayne, don't get me started on how many other rabbit holes I'be gone down, with Pacific/Bair powder measures being a prime example. I'm still hoping to tool up and make some rotors for them some day if I can only "get a round tuit." Have you got any duplicate rotors to swap yet? I think I have one or two now. There was a really nice measure with two rotors on flea Bay lately, I noticed.

Froggie
    Not only did I get some, I also have several blanks - undrilled! I believe you have a couple of those, too?
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master
    Not only did I get some, I also have several blanks - undrilled! I believe you have a couple of those, too?
    Yep, you sent me one (or two maybe?) but life got in the way and I haven't even thought about getting it/them drilled. I did notice that at least one that I fooled with a little seemed a bit loose in the measure body. I'm still looking for a 2.0 BE to use for loading 32 S&W L, but the 2.5 may be OK for that... or I may split the difference and make a 2.25 BE for myself out of one of those blanks. Just thinking out loud now, but I'd still love to have a complete set of factory rotors since I have sets for the Little Dandy and the Accumeasure.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Yep, you sent me one (or two maybe?) but life got in the way and I haven't even thought about getting it/them drilled. I did notice that at least one that I fooled with a little seemed a bit loose in the measure body. I'm still looking for a 2.0 BE to use for loading 32 S&W L, but the 2.5 may be OK for that... or I may split the difference and make a 2.25 BE for myself out of one of those blanks. Just thinking out loud now, but I'd still love to have a complete set of factory rotors since I have sets for the Little Dandy and the Accumeasure.

Froggie
    Now you're just being greedy, greenie!
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master
    Now you're just being greedy, greenie!
    Actually, not so much Wayne. I've looked at various copies of instruction sheets for listings of the available rotors, and I don't think there are more than about 10-12 different ones at most... less than Lyman and far less than RCBS. I'm about halfway there now.

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    A local pawn shop had a TL jr with .38 spl. dies for $30 just a couple of weeks ago. Looking back, I wish I had bought it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    A local pawn shop had a TL jr with .38 spl. dies for $30 just a couple of weeks ago. Looking back, I wish I had bought it.
    Two contrasting replies come to mind;

1) You can’t have it all... if you did where would you put it?
    2). I regret the things I didn’t do much more than those I did.

Take your choice and be reassured to stand pat or encouraged to keep buying. BTW, both apply to me, FWIW!

Froggie

Banned
    I wish I could find a deal like that, it's 50% of current value. I don't need another Tl Jr but why not if the price is right.

I bought my first truline for the complete set of 4 30-30 310 dies that where in it, at a pawn shop for 25 or 30$ out the door with a 357 and a 30-06 j shell holder zip tied to it. Pretty sure someone was selling out " grandpas gun stuff" and just stuck dies where they fit and sold it. Kinda sad, but at least it found a good home. It houses my 4 most common case mouth expanding dies now which it just so happens are all covered by the shell holders that came with the press.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adobe_20191031_113102.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	250529

This for the Green Frog, just to warm his heart.

Boolit Master

Every time I get on Cast Boolits it takes me back in time.
    My Dad had Tru-Line Jr, All-American and Comet presses. And A Giant RCBS A-Frame press. Loaded on all of them.

When I started My own reloading set up I could afford a Lyman Spartan. Got an old 310 tool and .270, .30-06 & .300Sav die sets.
    Haven't used them in years, but I will keep them forever. One of the few links to My Family.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adobe_20191031_113102.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	250529

This for the Green Frog, just to warm his heart.
    And here I thought I had gone over to the dark side,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast