Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large batches of alloy?

I have an electric pot that holds ~ 65 pounds of lead. I will smelt a load, pour into ingots, get one of those analyzed (by me!) and then make the alloy I’m after. Right now, I am really happy with 96-2-2. It seems to work with all my pistols and rifles. So I have made up 3 lots of ~ 65 pounds.

I also powder coat and am not currently shooting high power rifle loads.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do 150 lb batches now. Have a 12gal propane tank I need to cut up and use. Should hold about 350-400lbs

Since I am limited to 40 pound ingot batches, I try to ingotize just the component lead and do the blending in my 20 pound pot...that sounds counterproductive but as long as I'm fairly accurate at identifying the ingot lead that I weigh and blend, I have had pretty good results & no fail batches thus far...knock on wood.

There are times when I have to add a little tin for improved fill-out so that's easy enough...I keep this tin in small form and cast it into large cast boolits to be added in the pour pot.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I make up large batches. My smelting pot holds between 350-400 pounds. Once you find an alloy that works well for you, its nice to have the consistency of a large amount of the same alloy. The negative side of large batches is if you contaminate your alloy you have a bigger error to correct.

I use mostly clip on wheel weights. Mostly because I can still find them and because they just plain work. They are also a pretty consistent alloy. I hand sort them, even though it can be a pain, because I don't want to contaminate a 400# batch.

Boolit Master
    Usually smelt like metals, i.e. range scrap, COWW in 50-70# batches and then if alloying mix these by weight with my alloy material, usually foundry type from Roto Metals. My pot will hold probably 100# but my usual batches are in the 50-60# range.

Since 95% of my shooting is pistol, I don't sweat alloy that much. I blend in the pot, gives me more options. I have diff bullet molds for diff alloy & just add what I feel I need in the pot. Only time I am more precise is making LHP, 20-1 lead/tin alloy, or when doing 6.8 rifle bullets, lino.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I've got a 300# propane pot for smelting, and a 250# electric pot that I sometimes mix alloys in. I guess that's large, but I really want a 500# smelting pot with bottom pour... one more project that probably won't happen in 2020...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Usually when I fire up the pot it's to do 1000+lbs

Boolit Grand Master

A 1000# pot would be nice! I have thought about converting a kiln, like those used when working with pottery, to a lead melting device. But, I'm closer to the end of my casting career that to the beginning and I don't see a lot more big scores in my future. I've been a pretty successful scrounger over the years! I do have a few buddies that cast and they all come over to my shop to do their smelting. Most of them are around my age, so we are back to the beginning or the end thing!

Boolit Mold
    I like to do big batches and put everything into ingots. I try and mark the ingots either with a marker or stamp them. Pure lead, wheel weights, linotype, etc. If I am casting something that requires something harder than wheel weights I add whatever is needed to get to the hardness I need.

I need to find a good place or way to store my ingots. Currently they are just thrown in a metal barrel or plastic bins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12