Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Paper Patched Alloy Bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor ... ?

Banned

Paper Patched Alloy Bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor ... ?

Whilst for years I only load paper patched alloy slicks under black powder for .45-70 Sharps and rollers, I'm a total newbie to paper patching for smokeless cartridges. As a cold weather respite from the rituals of the holy black, I cobbled together a "lazy man's" Rem 783 bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor that's shot well out to 700 yards for me with the copper clad projectile smokeless cartridges I've built. If paper patching smokeless for this caliber/cartridge is doable, I'd like to give it a go with cast bullets and stop using those store bought copper slicks. The gun will mostly be used for targets, but also the occasional varmint/hog/deer sniping. Any and all comments and opinions most welcomed, much obliged.

Boolit Master
    Interested here on this too but I believe that the muzzle brake will give your accuracy fits....as the boolit exits the paper separates in the cloud of gas as it overtakes the bullet just after the base moves past the crown. For that split second of a split second there is alot of turbulent gas around the boolit and the paper starts to peel away....in a muzzle brake (as I understand it) the gas and paper and turbulent flow of gasses really mess with the expected consistency needed for paper patching.

However, I still plan to test it. I have a rem 700 long range in 30 06 I plan to put a muzzle brake on and test accuracy of paper patch loads with and without the muzzle brake. Sure poi will shift but does accuracy suffer? Can I work up a load that will work specifically with muzzle brake? Don't know.... prospect may not look great but I need to try and see for myself.

I would encourage you to do the same too...let us know how it goes

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Easily doable. I have paper patched my .278 bullets for my .270 win. I size the bullets to .276 and patch up to .280 and patch goes to the first driving band.

Sizer for the cores was a custom order Sizer from Lee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I've been around PPBs long enuf to know there is no way I'd use a brake. Got a new criterion bbl on order, due in december - s/s, 28", .920" at the 11* crown muzzle and an MTU contour.

All of my PPBs that sit atop black powder cases are bore riders, and are 16:1 alloy. They bump up just fine into the .004" grooves.

For a smokeless cartridge, do the PPBs need to be patched to a groove size (that will deeper than .004"), or can they be patched as bore riders?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Easily doable. I have paper patched my .278 bullets for my .270 win. I size the bullets to .276 and patch up to .280 and patch goes to the first driving band.

Sizer for the cores was a custom order Sizer from Lee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    What alloy for your PPBs? Are they slicks or grooved bullets? What is the groove diameter?

Boolit Master
    From my 30-06 my best were with the core at bore plus .001 and patched to groove plus .001-.002 with green bar tractor paper. If you have to size down after patching make sure the core is over bore size. Anything shot at higher rpm needs to be in lino or similar. At 16-1 alloy my 158 grain bullet is happy at about 1600 fps.

The Kids got it right, i patch a slightly larger caliber (375 H&H)

With 16 bnh and get 1900 fps easily------ puts a huge kerrsplat on hogpig critters

Dave

Why would you want to mess with lead anyway. Too nice of gun, too fast of caliber.

The 6.5 Creedmore is no faster than a 308 or 30/06. It has just been hyped that way.