RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
PBcastco Reloading Everything

Thread: H&R trapdoors, where are the markings located?

Boolit Master

H&R trapdoors, where are the markings located?

Hi

At a gun show a few months ago I was looking at a trapdoor carbine which appeared to be a modern reproduction
    and was in like new condition.

However neither I nor the vendor at the table (an old friend and knowledgeable individual)
    could find a makers mark.

So my (probably dumb) question is, where on a H&R trapdoor are the maker's marks located?
    Are they in an obvious location?
    What about for a Pedersoli or Uberti trapdoor?

if those three makers have their markings in an obvious spot,
    does anyone have any idea of what maker's trapdoor I was looking at?

Thanks,
    edp2k

Boolit Master

Pulled my H&R carbine out of the safe; Barrel is marked "H&R...etc." on the right-hand side, right below the read sight dovetail...or, in the case of my gun, right below the genuine 1879 "C" sight.

Left-hand side of receiver is marked "Cavalry Model" in script.

No idea about "maker's marks" on Uberti or Pedersoli trapdoors; have never actually handled either. However, my Pedersoli RB is marked "David Pedersoli & Co. Gardone, Italy" on the left-hand side of the barrel, just forward of the receiver.

Bill

Note: Other than the "Officer's Model', H&Rs came from the factory with a Mickey Mouse Marble rear sight. From the catalogue pics, Pedersolis have a reproduction of the 1879 sight and Ubertis carry a repro of the original 1873 sight.
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 10-25-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    H & R's also had a Little Bighorn model. This model had nice walnut stock, only a tang Vernier sight. It featured beautiful case hardening on all the furniture, the breech block, and the lock, all had great case and engraving on all the furniture. I know because I have one that I recently acquired. I can send pics if someone wants to post them for me. The Vernier sight moves up and down, right to left, by unscrewing the eyepiece a turn, and then moving the sight to where you need it. Mine has no markings on the sight, but it is tight and moves very little at a time. Like all the furniture, the whole sight is casehardened also. I was recently shooting a load of 15 grs of Unique powder with a 350gr Lyman/Gould HP I cast. The first shots were about 8" low and pretty well centered. I loosened the eyepiece and moved it up what I thought was the correct amount. I aimed at the black 2" center of a 10"clanger circle I have hung over there. It hit dead center, just at the top of the 2"black, and dead on between 150-175yds. This would be a great deer hunting load, in fact I plan on filling my last doe tag, with said load and a original trapdoor made in 1884.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the feedback