RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 38 WCF Lead bullet load.

38 WCF Lead bullet load.

Good morning guys, I have just ordered a 40-180E mold from Accurate Molds and was wondering if anyone had a good accurate load for lead bullets in 1892 Winchester chambered in 38 WCF.

Regards

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 180gr cast with 9grs of Unique with excellent results in my 1892.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    Good morning guys, I have just ordered a 40-180E mold from Accurate Molds and was wondering if anyone had a good accurate load for lead bullets in 1892 Winchester chambered in 38 WCF.

Regards

Bob
    Bob
    I use 3 grains of 4227 then fill er up with FFFg black - RCBS cowboy boolit (180 grain) - accurate - shoots clean - makes smoke - the best of all worlds (I wouldnt shoot the duplex load in the older actions but safe as houses in my 92)

Boolit Master
    I have real good accuracy with 7.5 grs of unique and a cast 180 gr.

Boolit Buddy
    Wanted a smokeless Mold for a 1892 38WCF. Ordered a 40-190C about 4 years ago. Been very happy with the design. Slugged the Rifle prior to placing the mold order, barrel was very close to.402. Ordered a .403.
    Rick

I would love to help, but I shoot an Accurate 40-215B with a healthy dose of Blue Dot in my original 1892. It is accurate as hell and do hope that it'll thump some hogs and deer in the near future.

I've found Unique and Herco work great. I'm mostly using the RCBS 40-180-FN (on the right below) that drops at 192 gr.-

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Thanks for the info guys, it is appreciated. That will take a while to try out some of these. Does anyone use Reloader 7. Just recently I acquired 90 38 WCF cases all with a shiny interior. 50 are in an old box with "SOLID HEAD PRIMED SHELLS" on the top. The primers are stamped with a "W". I have read somewhere that where primers in cartridges have a w stamped on them it indicates they for smokeless cartridges. Should I load these new cases with the W stamped primers or swap them out for new small rifle /pistol primers. If can I will post a photo of the box.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	250620

Regards

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2998.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	250621

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2998.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	250621
    Bob
    I think sell that box of original primed shells to a collector ---should be worth decent bucks in the right place ----trade for a couple hundred new unfired starline brass would proly be fair??????
    If not that at least fire a test run of them to be sure those old primers have not degraded

Boolit Master
    These primers are likely corrosive.
    Also, those brass, even though the label says "solid head", are what we today call "balloon head" brass.

Today, there are 2 designs of brass we call balloon head.

1. the original, where the case head is made up of folded brass.
    so the thickness of the brass at the case head/breech face is not much thicker than at the case mouth.
    (I'm guessing at the dimension here, maybe 0.020"?)

2. the next design head, at the time was called "solid head", however, the case head/breech face
    thickness is still not thick enough for smokeless loads, and when you look into the mouth of the brass
    and see the inside primer hole, the primer hold is directly surrounded by "bump" and then the case head gets
    thinner as you go off the bump and move towards the rim.

with modern real "solid head" brass, the case head/breach face is much thicker in cross section,
    and when you look in the case mouth ere is no "bump", it is flat all the way across.

See pic in post # 10:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oon-head-brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    These primers are likely corrosive.
    Also, those brass, even though the label says "solid head", are what we today call "balloon head" brass.

Today, there are 2 designs of brass we call balloon head.

1. the original, where the case head is made up of folded brass.
    so the thickness of the brass at the case head/breech face is not much thicker than at the case mouth.
    (I'm guessing at the dimension here, maybe 0.020"?)

2. the next design head, at the time was called "solid head", however, the case head/breech face
    thickness is still not thick enough for smokeless loads, and when you look into the mouth of the brass
    and see the inside primer hole, the primer hold is directly surrounded by "bump" and then the case head gets
    thinner as you go off the bump and move towards the rim.

with modern real "solid head" brass, the case head/breach face is much thicker in cross section,
    and when you look in the case mouth ere is no "bump", it is flat all the way across.

See pic in post # 10:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oon-head-brass
    Yes but no !
    I have some of your number two description Dominion brand brass bought new in the late 1960's as smokeless factory loads, reloaded how many times I lost count- started with shotgun ballistite - graduated to revolver number one - then AP 70 - finally to blackpowder - I retired them unhurt last year - in properly headspaced rifles with decent chamber - never had a single case head separation - no hotrodding either tho
    I stick to my original idea - sell that box of ancient brass as is to a collector - should be worth some money - if ya gonna use it deprime it then reload with all new components.

Thanks again guys. I thought that only the early primers were corrosive with black powder. Can anyone enlarge on the primers with "W" stamped on them. As mentioned before I had read the "W" indicated smokeless cartridges

Regards

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Bob
    I think sell that box of original primed shells to a collector ---should be worth decent bucks in the right place ----trade for a couple hundred new unfired starline brass would proly be fair??????
    If not that at least fire a test run of them to be sure those old primers have not degraded
    That's what I'd do. Sell them to a collector and get some new ones
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John