RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: sugest a powder coated bullet for 300blk /7.5x55 swiss

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon

sugest a powder coated bullet for 300blk /7.5x55 swiss

I'm looking for a bullet I can powder coat and which will 100% function in a ar15 300blk. I have been using a gas checked Lee 312-155 -2r which works about 95% of the time. when it does not chamber the nose is always the issue because it is to large. A great bonus would be if it also happens to work in the k31, the short throat in the k31 has defeated all of my attempts to shoot cast.

If you have a few samples of the suggested bullet I would be glad to purchase some to test.

Banned

130 grain rcbs spitzer gas check mold works well in all 3 of my blackouts pc coated and is accurate right up to full power if casted hard.

Boolit Buddy
    There's this for the 300 from Lee https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl309-230-5r.html

Don't know what you could expect in your K31. I've never loaded cast for mine bu can see the throat problem. This one would have to be down into the case and no gas check so not too fast either.

If you cut the base off the Lee and GC it, should be about right. The 150 GD is almost same ogive and shoots well from BO. Might snip of some nose for a bigger meplat too. Probably going to be a custom mould anyway to fit both. I run the 31-142C &D in my BO. Shoots good. Or you could get VT high temp paint for the cavity. BO has a long tapered throat, K31 I don't know. I got the paint to try on my 30/30 marlin another round to it. Paint light, bake once, repeat. bake 2 more times. Should cut nose size a couple thou.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have some of these left. RCBS #82152 308-165-SIL gc. I used them years ago in a Wichata 308 Silhouette bolt action pistol shooting 200 meter NRA and IHMSA silhouette. They worked well for me in that gun with reduced loads. (I got a deal on the gun because my best bud was shooting factory 308 ammo in the 14" pistol and it didn't take him long to get that out of his system).

These are cast from COWW plus 10% linotype, gas checked. coated and sized to .3095". Let me know if you want a sample or if you want enough to load a few and try in each gun. I have about 75 and you are welcome to them if you want them. I discovered them in my "wayback when" box and prepped them with the intention of shooting them in my 300 BLK. My 300 is set up for heavy subs and I decided it was more trouble than it is worth to switch back and forth since I no longer have the mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks scotner, I think I have found the perfect bullet. I will pass for now on the ones from you.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the bullet that I think will work in both rifles.
    Noe 311-195-RF-J1 2 GC (K-31) if anyone has a few the would like to share please PM me. I would like to make sure they feed before buying the mold. PB or GC is ok.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...5k795av9famja4

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    Thanks scotner, I think I have found the perfect bullet. I will pass for now on the ones from you.
    Glad to hear that. Most of us are still looking for the perfect bullet. Hope it works out for you.

Doubt it will work for AR BO. Have to seat real deep with the mouth on the tapered section.0.282 taper section + 0.05 left of drive band is more than ~0.2ish taper freebore. Neck is 0.265ish.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The k31 is tricky because if the well known short throat. I have used the mihec 311-180 (https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-311-180-sil-gc/) and the (similar but heavier) Noe http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...af9v60rmnf2680

I have both nose sized the bullets as well as just masking them off. I have used a spare sheet of sheet metal with holes drilled through it as a "template" to place the bullets. They rest on their front driving bands pointed downward and you coat the base downward.

With such a tight throat the tapered section of the ogive really helps, but even the thousandth or so added by PC really messes with you, especially since it isn't uniformly sized due to lack of contact in that portion of the bullet with a normal sizing die.

Luckily 300BO is not so picky and you can use plenty of different weights. My 300 has never shot anything but subs so I stick with the Noe heavyweights.